Weather tight tool boxes

HiltiWpg

Gents,

I would love to get a little insight and education.

I currently use a combination of Tstaks and 2 Milwaukee tool boxes.

I had a full set up of Tough systems boxes but found them to be very awkward, heavy and odd sized.( too big for easy portability and too small for things like a recip saw.)

What I am hoping for would be a cross between the Milwaukee style box and Tstak size. With gasket/weather tight.

What do you guys recommend for weather tight solutions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ridgid. They only sell them at home depot though. I have 5 currently. More to come. Love them. I let them sit out in all kinds of weather and mess with no problems.20161013_145254.jpg20161007_190304.jpgIMG_20161003_095242.jpg

How are they weight wise? Size seems a little bigger than a tough box. I like to keep a small box for batteries/charger that I haul in every night and bigger boxes for tools.

9 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

How are they weight wise? Size seems a little bigger than a tough box. I like to keep a small box for batteries/charger that I haul in every night and bigger boxes for tools.

They look bigger, but they are actually smaller and lighter. They also have the handle on the front not the top. I had tough system boxes and thought that they were all I'd ever use but these are cheaper and at least as good.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wassup folks. I'm conflicted between the Dewalt Tough Boxes and Ridgid Boxes. I own the Large and small Dewalt Boxes. They are top notch. My only complaint is carrying them around. I don't want to buy the expensive dolly for them. I often have to traverse job sites with debris and large cables around so a furniture dolly would be to inconvenient to maneuver around.
I like the Ridgid box with built in wheels. I noticed Dewalt just came out with a large Box with built in wheels as well. DS450. You can stack it up with the other tough Boxes. Anyone have any thoughts on the new Dewalt box with wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that both the new Dewalt tough boxes with the cart (3 piece) and the ridgid 3 piece box set are about the same price $127.00 & $129.00 at my local Home Depots, something tells me they will be cheaper on Black Friday... 

They both seem like solid box kits. I am also torn on which one to go with...

I stopped by today to check them out. The handle on the Ridgid seems sturdier to me. Otherwise everything seems identical. I took some measurements. I have a back flip cover on my pickup truck bed so the vertical clearance would not fit either Dewalt or Ridgid so I need to back to the drawing board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ridgid boxes are the same size as the tough boxes and are $99 for all three during Xmas/fathers day.  I have  one big, two mediums and one small for holding my routers/sanders/planers etc. I also bought the milk crate version to hold all my paint trays, rollers and some plastic sheeting. It lets everything air-dry, don't forget the boxes will hold moisture in too on a rainy day if left cracked.

If you are looking for a cheaper option for smaller tools use the Milwaukee small parts organizer and take out the bins, they have the weatherproof seal and do the stacking/opening modular box tricks. They are missing a deep box and a cart. I have all my M12 tools in these, radio, hammer-drill, impact, lantern, multitool, Paslode trim guns with a little customization.

My Ridgid large wheeled one won't fit under my truck cover either, perfection is hard to come by. DeWalt has a similar tool box to the big Milwaukee one in the picture with an extendable handle and some tiny wheels....

_Milwaukeetoolboxorganizer.jpg

• Like 2