New Brushless Hammer Drill Coming Soon.

Cheng Liu

• 1 month later...
I have to say, Ryobi did a great job with this tool.  It feels like a pro model that the other guys would be selling.  To me it feels a lot like the Kobalt.  I am use to the Ryobi drill feeling a little weak, but this seems like they beefed it up.

I played around with it at HD and I was pretty impressed, there were only two short major comings I noticed with the drill
1: the safety handle is terrible, it actually unscrewed itself a bit during use
2: the chuck is junk, ratcheting should be a must with a drill of this power
... but 150 for a 750lb torque drill with a 4.0 battery? Not bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I really like seeing Ryobi stepping up the ante here. They are introducing some fine tools into the market and this actually seems like a really decent drill, like theirs compact 18v.

There are quite a few tools that I would love to have but I just don't want to get another battery platform. The hot glue gun, belt sander, tire inflator, chemical sprayer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric - TIA said:

I didn't know they had a chemical sprayer.  I will have to check that out.  I think that would be a cool tool.

Yup and for $50 for the bare tool, you can't beat it!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Chemical-Sprayer-Battery-and-Charger-Not-Included-P2800B/206485323

1 hour ago, DaveJr. said:

That is awesome, I had no idea.  I am going to pick on up tonight online even though I won't have a use until spring.  Looks like it might be pretty easy to clean so hopefully no issues using different types of liquids.  Thanks for the info

• Like 1

Sadly I don't have use for a hammer drill, the one I have still works like brand new. I saw this on their site a few weeks ago, went to check it out at HD but they didn't have any. There's a few stores that have them but I'm not doing all that driving just to check out a tool that I don't need.

Want...now that's a fun word isn't it..."want"...kinda rolls off the tongue. Want. Want. Waaaaant. Such a pleasant-sounding word...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Didn't know it was available yet

I remember seeing the chemical sprayer pictured on  Ryobi's twitter i believe, been awhile, completely forgot about that.

How bad really is the side handle on the new Ryobi drill, pretty bad? 

Sadly I don't have use for a hammer drill, the one I have still works like brand new. I saw this on their site a few weeks ago, went to check it out at HD but they didn't have any. There's a few stores that have them but I'm not doing all that driving just to check out a tool that I don't need.

Want...now that's a fun word isn't it..."want"...kinda rolls off the tongue. Want. Want. Waaaaant. Such a pleasant-sounding word...

I remember seeing the chemical sprayer pictured on  Ryobi's twitter i believe, been awhile, completely forgot about that.

How bad really is the side handle on the new Ryobi drill, pretty bad? 

Kato - even if you don't need the hammer feature is a well powered drill

Not Carl - I tapped maybe half a dozen screws and it unscrewed maybe 1/3 of the way... not even in hammer mode, problem is when you push your pushing counter clock wise which loosens it, if they were to keep the threaded handle it should be threaded opposite

1 minute ago, JimboS1ice said:

Kato - even if you don't need the hammer feature is a well powered drill

Not Carl - I tapped maybe half a dozen screws and it unscrewed maybe 1/3 of the way... not even in hammer mode, problem is when you push your pushing counter clock wise which loosens it, if they were to keep the threaded handle it should be threaded opposite

That's not good. What about if you put the handle on the other side of the drill?

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2016 at 11:14 PM, JimboS1ice said:

I played around with it at HD and I was pretty impressed, there were only two short major comings I noticed with the drill
1: the safety handle is terrible, it actually unscrewed itself a bit during use
2: the chuck is junk, ratcheting should be a must with a drill of this power
... but 150 for a 750lb torque drill with a 4.0 battery? Not bad

I bought this drill a few weeks ago.  Its awesome!  I've been an electrician for 25+yrs (damn, Im getting old) , been using and abusing Ryobi 18V for a little over 10yrs.  I use these tools every day and they work just as well as the other brands.  Seriously, I've never come across a situation where another brand equivalent (impact driver, drill, sawzall) will do what Ryobi's version won't.  On paper, there may be differences but in the real world, I'd have to really nitpick to find any functional difference.  

As far as the brushless hammer drill,  I have to disagree about the chuck being junk, actually its far from it!  Mine is all metal and it does ratchet, in fact, I have a ratcheting Jacobs brand keyless chuck from an old Dewalt 18V XPR hammer drill and I would say the Ryobi version is functionally equivalent.   

This drill is a steal at this price!  When I bought it, as soon as I got home I was itching to drill something so I put a 18"x7/8" ship auger in the chuck and went to town on a oak tree I recently cut down.  Without charging the battery I drill five holes 18" deep, the drill basically laughed at the log, no bogging, stalling, and no smoke coming off the motors windings!   ;D

On 10/21/2016 at 7:22 PM, Cheng Liu said:

Ryobi is finally releasing a brushless hammer drill. When more info is available on it and when I am healthier financially, I am definitely getting this. My current Ryobi hammer drill is now for sale. I hope this means that they will be releasing the brushless impact driver in the U.S. as well. This is the link for it.

Ryobi BL HD.PNG

looks like it has a metal chuck. I wonder if Ryobi is trying to become a pro brand?

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

looks like it has a metal chuck. I wonder if Ryobi is trying to become a pro brand?

It's definitely a quality drill.   I'm not crazy about the belt clip or the handle but everything else is great.  Milwaukee will always be TTI's pro brand. They make the specialized trade orientated tools. Ridgid is probably their "prosumer" brand Ryobi the DIY brand but manufacturing technology is becoming such that there all pretty similar in a lot of respects.  Unless you're on a production line doing repetitive tasks I guarantee that if you were able to set aside personal bias you'd be hard pressed to find functional differences with any of the brands.     With this drill, I think Ryobi needed to "knock it out of the ballpark" with their brushless introduction and IMO they did just that.