Apartment work bench

metaljunkie

Ok folks, here's my new mobile work bench.  After having to re-locate to the big city I was forced to leave most of my big tools and equipment at my home and adapt to apartment living. Being a guy that likes to fix things and yes, sometimes tear them up I needed my tools, mostly to keep me sane.  I bought a mini wood lathe from Harbor Freight and started turning pens, small bowls, and such.  Well now I am missing my G0602 metal lathe and decided to try and find a way to get it in this small one bedroom apartment without killing myself, or tearing up the floors.  So after looking for a suitable mobile work bench that was priced within my budget I discovered there isn't one.  Now I'm not that cheap, but I needed a work station that was a little wider and longer than my lathe, rated for the weight  of 400lbs.  So I decided my only alternative was to build one.  Picked up the lumber from Lowes today, a few boxes of screws and presto. I have a new bench. Already had the casters I accidently double ordered from Amazon.  I plan to enclose the back with 1/4" plywood, add two fold down shelves on the sides that I can raise up if I need to use a bench grinder or my smallish drill press.  Took about 4 or 5 hours to build. Price $68.00 including three boxes of screws and a cheap 12" level.

Let me know what you think.

New work bench.jpeg

• Like 9

Nordraw, I use a vacuum dust system I picked up at Harbor Freight with a trash can cyclone separator from Wood Craft that is not very noisy at all and the lathe is pretty quiet. No one has complained since I started back in April.  The vacuum doesn't catch all the chips, but does a good job on the fine dust and when I'm done turning a project I disconnect the intake hose from the magnetic dust guard and suck up all the bigger wood chips on the floor.  My floor is hard wood so I wouldn't recommend this for a carpet. I also try to time my projects for week ends and don't start too early so I don't disrupt the neighbors.  I try to respect the neighbors and keep noise to a minimum.  After clean up which takes maybe 30 minutes I cover the lathe with a grill cover and push the tool cart in my hallway closet.  The only caveat is you have to make your wife a bowl or pen every now and then so she don't tell on you.

• Like 2

Update; The little cart handled the 400 lb load great. Rolled easy with no signs of stress on the frame.  Now I just need to finish it as suggested with water based poly and enclose the top half.  I pre-cut furring strips, 2x2"s and some 1/4" siding cut-offs from my last storage building project. I plan on using two set's of hinges so the top will unfold on two different axis. This way I can have access to the front and top of the lathe and close it after I'm finished with a project, and lock it up. It will/should look like a wooden box on top of a wood cart when I'm done until I unfold it foe the next project.

• Like 1

oil stain does smell but its not too noticeable when poly is put on top in my opinion. I have used both polyurethane (sprayed) and polyacrylic (brushed). urethane is faster to apply cause I sprayed it but acrylic had a heavier coat cause I brushed it. I think the acrylic dried faster. I cant remember if there were many brush marks with the acrylic. The Acrylic is thiner than urethane and is white but dries clear. The urethane is a more golden yellow color and a bit thicker. Ive also used amber shellac (brushed). It dries faster than the other 2 I've used and has an amber color to it that will dry with an amber tint. I've never used any other finishes. 

• Like 1

Wow that's terrific MetalJunkie!

I've always appreciated the ingenuity that people have when constrained by space. It looks like you got that workbench dialed in for your needs.

Thanks for sharing!

On another note, have you ever checked out "This Old Tony" on YouTube? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, metaljunkie said:

Pretty cool videos Surfer.  He explains processes that even I can understand. Thanks for point him out.

Your welcome man.

I have no idea about metal-urgee or machining stuff but I really enjoy his videos. Especially the one on Multimeters lol

• Like 1

Thanks Jimbo. Your right, no guess work on changing it if I need to later. I had some cut offs from 4x8 sheets of siding from an out building I built a year ago and they work out great for enclosing the bottom of the new work bench. I just had to add a few 2x2's, hinges for the front and a hasp.  I'm thinking of building another one a little smaller to hold my bench size drill press, band saw, and rock well table saw.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...