Flexvolt 60v power adapter

Jronman

Just watched a video about the FlexVolt table saw and the guy mentioned Dewalt is working on a power adapter for the table saw. He said look out for it in 9 months or so. The video was posted on August 5th so I'm guessing in around 5 months we should at least get some more information about a power adapter for the table saw. Don't know if we will actually get an adapter then. The reason Dewalt was unable to provide an adapter for the table saw was because of the added challenge converting 120v power to 60v. The miter saw didn't have this issue because it already was a 120v tool and needed no conversion. I wonder if the adapter for the table saw would work with other 60v tools. Does anyone think Dewalt wont make an adapter and instead make a 120v table saw? Should they make both a 60v adapter and a 120v table saw? What do you guys think? Also what about the Europe market that runs on 240v?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2448jman said:

Just watched a video about the FlexVolt table saw and the guy mentioned Dewalt is working on a power adapter for the table saw. He said look out for it in 9 months or so. The video was posted on August 5th so I'm guessing in around 5 months we should at least get some more information about a power adapter for the table saw. Don't know if we will actually get an adapter then. The reason Dewalt was unable to provide an adapter for the table saw was because of the added challenge converting 120v power to 60v. The miter saw didn't have this issue because it already was a 120v tool and needed no conversion. I wonder if the adapter for the table saw would work with other 60v tools. Does anyone think Dewalt wont make an adapter and instead make a 120v table saw? Should they make both a 60v adapter and a 120v table saw? What do you guys think? Also what about the Europe market that runs on 240v?

I mentioned this in a post earlier, if they were bringing an adapter out it would be the biggest selling point for me but curious to how it would work myself like for example if I had a 110v dewalt vacuum will I be able to plug it into the power take off socket on the vacuum. Any input appreciated 

18 hours ago, 2448jman said:

Just watched a video about the FlexVolt table saw and the guy mentioned Dewalt is working on a power adapter for the table saw. He said look out for it in 9 months or so. The video was posted on August 5th...

Do you have a link to that video?

Found the link to the Tool Box Buzz / Concord Carpenter written review here: http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/table-saw-cordless-tools/dewalt-cordless-table-saw-review/

Dual Power? – NOT YET!

I’m a fan of all Dewalt table saws, but the best feature of this saw is obviously that it’s cordless.

At the Dewalt media event I inquired whether an accessory power cord was in the making, so users could plug into a power outlet for AC current.  Having both options would be nice.

The dual option would be handy on construction sites with no power.  On these sites contractors often compete with extension cords for a generator outlet.  Having a cordless option for these situations would be amazing, later on, when the house has power, you could plug in.

According to Dewalt, the cost for an AC adaptor /cord similar to the miter saw accessory, would be substantial as the electrical current needs to be converted from 60v to 120V.

Dewalt is currently working on a 60v to 120V adaptor but it is still about 9 months or more away. [Jan 2017]

2 minutes ago, The.Handyman said:

Oh goody. I just picked up the 60v table saw and I smile every time I push the little green button. 3.0ah battery will definitely help, especially with the 36 tooth FlexVolt blade or the 40 tooth Freud.

Does your green button work better than in the review above?

2 minutes ago, The.Handyman said:

The green button works fine for me so far. Not sure what review you are mentioning. It's a simple switch so there is a possibility it could have a finicky one.

The review I linked to above. It's mentioned in both the written review and the video review:

http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/table-saw-cordless-tools/dewalt-cordless-table-saw-review/

Improvements

The power switch is a bit finicky.  I noticed this at their media event and also when using the saw.  A quick press of the on button does not work and it seems that you have to press the button for a few seconds.  Additionally, you need to push this button straight on and not at an angle to work.  My guess is That Dewalt will work this out in time.

At 6:38 in this video he also complained about the green button not working properly and sometimes it didn't even turn on:

I just noticed there's an update on the power button issue in the written review:

http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/table-saw-cordless-tools/dewalt-cordless-table-saw-review/

UPDATE ON POWER SWITCH

Further testing showed that the red “Stop” lever was the cause, not the power switch.  After turning on the saw, the red stop lever would drop too hard onto the stop button and turn the saw off.   After conferring with the product manager at Dewalt, it was determined that the red stop lever spring force was too high.  The units we tested was from a “manufacturing sample lot.”  MSL’s are the first time the plant does a big run of the product and Dewalt then has time to refine and make adjustments, before the tool goes to production.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So, here we are, nearly 24 months after the most recent comment on this topic and still no such adapter. I was always leaning towards Dewalt never making it at all but has anyone heard anything different? Over the years, I've learned to take ConcordCarpenters word with an extremely light grain of salt. There is probably a better chance of us getting a totally new 10" 120V Flexvolt table saw (With the same adapter as the miter) before they build a transformer/adapter for the current model. Any other thoughts? The only reason I haven't bought the 8-1/4" yet is because I'm holding out for a 10". Although the cordless is nice, I feel the smaller blade size would be a downgrade for me but I guess it all depends on what you are cutting. Ripping 2x4's is probably always going to be a job for a corded saw. But, then again, we thought that about the miter saw two years ago....

No adapter coming. Not worth the cost is my bet.

To be honest, most would not use it once you run it off batteries.

If you use a 9.0ah/3.0ah or the 12.0ah/4.0ah in the saw, it will easily rip 2x material. The same is true for the new Milwaukee.

If you will be ripping all day, then battery isn't for you. They definitely have their place and nearly all who have the FlexVolt table saw have nothing but praise for it (outside of the on/off switch).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, The.Handyman said:

No adapter coming. Not worth the cost is my bet.

To be honest, most would not use it once you run it off batteries.

If you use a 9.0ah/3.0ah or the 12.0ah/4.0ah in the saw, it will easily rip 2x material. The same is true for the new Milwaukee.

If you will be ripping all day, then battery isn't for you. They definitely have their place and nearly all who have the FlexVolt table saw have nothing but praise for it (outside of the on/off switch).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have to agree, especially once you start adding extra Flexvolt batteries. I went with the 718 corded 12” miter saw over the Flexvolt since I didn’t want to dedicate 4 batteries to it, but now that I have a bunch I wish I had gotten the Flexvolt instead. I mainly use the 7 1/4” slider though, so it’s not a big deal. 

The new tool I’d really like to see is a 60v Flexvolt shop vac that has a handle and wheels to be a Tough System base. If they had that, it would be possible to use the 120v Flexvolt miter saw adapter as long as you ran the table saw and vacuum together. It would require some wiring pigtails and switch modifications, but a guy with average electrical skills could make it work. 

• Like 1

We run 3 flexvolt tablesaws at work...it rips everything no problem... unless your ripping 60-100 /8' pt stock then go corded but 2x and trim all day....you do hold the green start for.a couple sec to start it.........

I don't think a 60v adapter is coming yet, later like the 18v to 20v adapter....

Definitely a 120v /10"table saw will come ,...with an adapter

I assume the next show they do will be mind boggling

I guess my post was focused more towards the fact that we were told by Concord Carpenter that:

"this item was At the Dewalt media event I inquired whether an accessory power cord was in the making, so users could plug into a power outlet for AC current."

and then:

"Dewalt is currently working on a 60v to 120V adaptor but it is still about 9 months or more away."

Neither of which seem to be to be true since no one can confirm that a Dewalt employee actually ever said that. I just thought I would bring light to the fact since a few people have found his "knowledge" to be a little off on more than one occasion. I feel that someone with his following and influence over others should really get his facts straight. I guess thats why Eric and Dan seem to held the top spot when it comes to this kind of thing. They really put in the time to make sure they aren't just passing on rumours or hearsay. But I guess I am really getting off topic now so while we are on the topic, has anyone heard about when Dewalt will be doing another media event? We haven't really had anything major in 2018 and Im sure they've got something in the pipeline to put Milwaukees recent release(s) back into the shadows! 😂