Redgard vs traditional shower pan?

JerryNY

I'm getting to the final stages of my bathroom remodel and was planning of using redgard instead of a pvc shower pan for a number of reasons but my old school tile guy looked at me like I was crazy when when I explained I wanted to use regard instead of a pvc pan. Anyone have experience with redgard?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks but too late!IMG_3473.JPGIMG_3484.JPG

Overall I like the stuff. Pretty easy to work with but the one issue is if you use clear glass tile like I'm using on the back wall you gotta make sure you have complete coverage of the thinset or you can see the red through the finished product.

• Like 1

Yeah I like how you can make really sharp corners unlike pvc pan liner and you can keep putting on as many coats as you want. I also embedded fiber mesh on the wall floor junctions and all corners for stability and it seems super tough. It also helped with my linear drain that I used to be able to seal it to the floor perfectly.

I have a tiny bathroom I'm remodeling and I decided to do a wet room to save the space of a curb as well as a wall hung hidden tank toilet and wall hung vanity, all stainless, so nothing is on the floor and nothing is water damageable and I could avoid using a glass shower door. Using pvc pan liner over the whole floor would have been problematic at best but the redgard allowed me to have an entire wet floor with little difficulty. 

I'm a massive fan of redgard, and with my bathrooms we always do both just because it's not that hard and nearly guarantees it for life. We start by sloping to the drain with concrete, lay the PVC pan, another layer of sloped concrete for final elevation and then redgard everything, and I mean everything all the way up. It's impenetrable and provides an excellent adhesion and bonding.  

Only thing I don't like about it is it's extremely stinky without good ventilation. Had a shower I did about two months ago and I thought I was going to pass out by the time I got the second coat on, felt weird for hours.  

• 1 month later...

A little late to this thread... Jerry,  I assume that is a Geberit  wall hung toilet carrier you installed.  What brand bowls did you go with and are you happy with them? I have 4 of them in my house and we used the Icera Clarity bowls and I HATE them as they barely hold any water.  As soon as we find a brand that actually holds water in them I will swap them all out.

I went with a Toto elongated. I does seem to have a deep well with a low amount of water in it but the swirling flush action is pretty robust so it seems to do a great job of clearing away debris.

IMG_3673.JPGIMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3739.JPGIMG_4088.PNG

Overall I'm pretty happy how the bathroom came out. It's tough to make a tiny bahtroom look good and still be functional. 

IMG_3770.JPGIMG_3944.JPG

• Like 2

Bathroom looks great!  Hard to tell from the pic, does the flush plate have two buttons or one? Mine are split so it uses less water for No1 or more water for No2.  The issue I have with the clarity bowls is How do I say this ..."skid marks". I coat the bowls with RainX every so often and that helps a lot, But it annoys the piss out of me that I spent close to 4k on toilets that I have to constantly clean. 

I had a toto wall hung in a different house and do not remember having this issue.  Commercial wall hung bowls seem to hold more water, but I am unsure if they will work with residential geberit carriers.  I don't know why they are designed to hold so little water.