New Shop Underway....Part Deuce!

ChrisK

Well guys.....it's been a pretty crazy summer. Spring, we found out we are having our first child, my wife wanted to stay in the home I had purchased 14 years ago and then said "SIKE" and we put our home on the market. My shop sadly, was broken down and my tools up until last week were in storage in some pods.

Our new home, which is on a dirt private road, climbing a steady ridge, is located out in the woods and is only fifteen years old. The electrical service was only 100amp. Two weeks ago a guy I know, Craig, came over and added a HUGE sub panel and upgraded my home to 200 amps.

Today, I got off duty and for the first time ever, I cracked open a panel and wired in a couple of circuits. These two will feed two lines into my new basement shop! I started these lines with 12/2 wire and 20amp outlets to start the lines. This is actually a big deal for me. As some of you may recall my last shop involved me wiring in the shop and lighting which was great but I had the electrician start a line out of the panel for me. Not this time. It's all me baby.

This week, thanks to Eric and Dan and the failed coffee give away, I had a hundred dollar Amazon gift certificate so I was able to put a hundred bucks down on their newest line of tools and what a fantastic DC unit it is going to be. 120amp, two 4" ports, one micron bag.....Supermax' new Dust Collector and it should be in Monday next week and my new Shopfox Mortiser 3/4hp, will be in Thursday.

I will be adding some pictures to this new blog but figured I would start with this. Pretty cool stuff. I might be able to make my first born' cradle God willing as we have an expected deliver date of 12/29/16.

Not too much to do....paint the nursery, build a shed and frame and wire the shop. Oh yeah....this basement is as dry as my sense of humor. Eventually I might end up in an outer building but bringing down my biggest tools....Powermattic Helical Jointer, Sawstop CNS175TGP36 and Rikon 14" 10-325 bandsaw as well as the lightweight Rikon Midi Lathe and about 600 pounds of Festool was a real back breaker but it's going to be worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

sweet deal,looks like it will be awesome once you get it all set up chris, almost the same size as my allowance of the basement, mine is about 22' x 28' with a staircase right in the middle so it's kinda got 2 sides.....and a ground level entrance so it is very easy to bring stock in or let finished projects out without going through the house.....however with that being said I'm limited to 32" square anything bigger needs to built in parts.....

Thanks Comp, this is a separated basement too however, I have storage and a laundry room on the other side so I will keep to this side of the basement. My intent is to still move above ground in a new structure and this shop will become a guest bedroom or lower den. Unfortunately I don't have walk out but the bulkhead is wide and will easily accommodate full sheets of plywood.

That's pretty sweet basement, been trying to play catch up with a few threads here, yours included. Hope you don't get any surprises

I have been slowly working on my own basement, but I barely have 6' ....next thing you know I might be digging it out to lower the floor!!

Anyways, hope the bun in the oven is coming along well, I'm getting a few hints dropped here and there about wanting another one.... Oh boy

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

That's pretty sweet basement, been trying to play catch up with a few threads here, yours included. Hope you don't get any surprises

I have been slowly working on my own basement, but I barely have 6' ....next thing you know I might be digging it out to lower the floor!!

Anyways, hope the bun in the oven is coming along well, I'm getting a few hints dropped here and there about wanting another one.... Oh boy

Thanks a lot bro! Just got back from out THIRD baby shower! Samantha is getting huge for such a little lady and December 29th is looming like a giant baby faced clock!

• Like 1

As I sit here writing this I am pretty stoked. I recently was smashed up pretty good and my 2015 Can Am Outlander Max XT 2up was totaled. I ended up getting pretty blessed. My insurance company agent and crew (State Farm) came through after they went after corporate,  and although I was going to have the beast paid off in less than two I got a new machine, way more powerful, a plow kit and heated grips (getting installed this week) and because I bought those accessories a Cyclops CGX2 camera set. 

Over the past few years I have posted several videos using my android or now my iPhone and iPad and yet remain completely ignorant to photo editing. This new camera looks like it might help me out for tool reviews and show and tell videos. I am sitting reading some interesting blogging articles about using GoPros and the like for video footage in their respective areas. I was messing with some video footage I took last year during some advanced driver and PIT training while attending the course and added my first title. I know it sounds stupid but I thought this was cool. Also....no. I cannot post the video. It's awesome footage showing yours truly smashing the beegezus out of some cruisers and also getting smashed but alas, can't post it :( Sometimes I get frustrated with my job but seriously....what the heck do I have to complain about?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I get paid to do some fun stuff on rare occasion.

Anyways, I digress. I finally will try doing some of this stuff in my videos and the shop will be a part of it. Pretty cool for this guy :D And better yet, what a cool way to document a baby! 

• Like 3

Lol nice man!! Smashing stuff is music to a man's ear sometimes!

Of course, you have to soon allocate time between your new baby, the shop, and this new video hobby!! I only have the apps available I can get on my phone so it's pretty amateur stuff, can't wait to see what you come up with

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Lol nice man!! Smashing stuff is music to a man's ear sometimes!

Of course, you have to soon allocate time between your new baby, the shop, and this new video hobby!! I only have the apps available I can get on my phone so it's pretty amateur stuff, can't wait to see what you come up with

Thank so a lot guys. It'll be slow to be sure but pretty stoked to try this thing out!

4 minutes ago, Jronman said:

trade the truck in?

he already gets a new truck when it needs an oil change, why not get a new one if he puts stuff in the back as well....

Sorry Chris won't side track your thread any more.....

• 4 weeks later...