Does anyone change their own oil anymore or is that extinct like the dinosaurs

olletsocmit

So how many of us still change our own oil, it seems to be coming an almost extinct thing. Everyone spends a lot of money on their car and then takes it to a Jiffy Lube and gets "fully synthetic & quality filter" installed. My car needs to run quality full synthetic. I was feeling lazy yesterday so I called Acura, a local shop, and the drive-in place near me, all quoted me anywhere from $70-$90 because it's "expensive oil". I got 5 quarts Mobil 1 at Walmart for $23... absolute score and then got the filter straight from Acura for $6.50! Does anybody else just get lazy and say screw it and pay 80 bucks?

Side note: I love when I hear people at work talking about you know... that "I have a Ferrari & the other guy has "classic cars" at home ...but they never drive them to work or show anybody because I don't wanted to get messed up in the parking lot haha. Am I the only person here that's heard this kind of talk at work??

6923c3cff4ebbdecde961dd05ac3a9c5.jpg

4b7b98f806f19225a08b5dfd532041d0.jpg

0f5768ba3fe0909d4207ac70dff15778.jpg

56a40ed115e0cfcc8a6016f64768f2bb.jpg

abb46cf5fd160ca887874e7dafe1e19d.jpg

ab3c988c716ad8d674a1ff675c971c64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I always change the oil in my truck. It's just something I've always done since we were kids and it's kind of nice to be working on your vehicle sometime other than when something is wrong with it. My wife's vehicle goes to the dealership only because we will eventually trade it in and they keep a record of every oil change. I figured at least the next owner will be able to see that we did all of the routine maintenance and took care of it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 11/3/2016 at 7:07 PM, kruton said:

I always change the oil in my truck. It's just something I've always done since we were kids and it's kind of nice to be working on your vehicle sometime other than when something is wrong with it. My wife's vehicle goes to the dealership only because we will eventually trade it in and they keep a record of every oil change. I figured at least the next owner will be able to see that we did all of the routine maintenance and took care of it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Same with my truck, but I do my wife's as well.... If they were nicer vehicles and I wanted the credibility of the service, I would pay to have it done for better resale potential

• Like 2

I've always changed my own oil and will continue doing as long as I am able.  It gives me a chance to crawl under it and look for other potential issues I may not know about.  Wish I could get by with a $29.50 oil and filter change.  Changed mine last week end when we went to our other home and it cost about $80.00.  Mobile one full synthetic with a mobile one filter.  Broke my heart and my pocket.

• Like 2

I've always changed my own oil and will continue doing as long as I am able.  It gives me a chance to crawl under it and look for other potential issues I may not know about.  Wish I could get by with a $29.50 oil and filter change.  Changed mine last week end when we went to our other home and it cost about $80.00.  Mobile one full synthetic with a mobile one filter.  Broke my heart and my pocket.

Maybe I read it wrong but you said it broke your pocket. you can get 5 quarts Mobil one at Walmart for 23 bucks and then I get an OEM filter and crush washer from Acura for $7. under 30 bucks for basically the best oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I've been doing the oil change on the family car for 10+ years, but am starting to get lazy and just get a basic service done at the shop. Partly because disposing of the oil is a pain, and partly so they can check if any problems are presenting in the ageing car.

• Like 1

I notice the same problem here in the Pacific NW.  A large amount of people no longer change their own oil or dont change it period.  They all take their cars to dealers or shops and pay anywhere from $65 to $100 for an oil change using "quality synthetics".  When they do change their oil, its being done every 5,000 miles which is outrageous.

I do my own oil changes on all the vehicles in my family and in-laws.  I just store the used oil in a coulple 5gallon buckets and when full, take them to O'Reillys down the street.  Free disposal.  I use Amsoil in all the vehicles which saves a lot of time and money, both on oil changes and maintenance.  I use their Signature Series which is a 25,000/1 year oil.  Costs about $85 once a year, which includes filter.  More for larger engines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wally13 said:

I notice the same problem here in the Pacific NW.  A large amount of people no longer change their own oil or dont change it period.  They all take their cars to dealers or shops and pay anywhere from $65 to $100 for an oil change using "quality synthetics".  When they do change their oil, its being done every 5,000 miles which is outrageous.

I do my own oil changes on all the vehicles in my family and in-laws.  I just store the used oil in a coulple 5gallon buckets and when full, take them to O'Reillys down the street.  Free disposal.  I use Amsoil in all the vehicles which saves a lot of time and money, both on oil changes and maintenance.  I use their Signature Series which is a 25,000/1 year oil.  Costs about $85 once a year, which includes filter.  More for larger engines.

I use that Amsoil as well. 16 quarts and a huge filter in my f-250 adds the savings when I'm not changing frequent...

But I don't see it as a ”problem"; how people wish to spend their money and where is their business, not mine

• Like 1

I kinda believe in a different approach. 3000 miles for gassers. 5000 if it's synthetic. It all depends on the motor and truck but about 15-20,000 for largely off-road trucks and on road trucks are 25,000-50,000 depending on manufacturer recommendations and who the driver is and what their route looks like. And of course the standard 500 engine hours for Deeres.

I've been using Mobile One synthetic for 15 years or longer and sometimes they run a deal on it at the local Advanced Auto store in the five quart capacity jugs. But my truck requires 7 quarts, so when I can I purchase two of the large jugs and try to remember I have extra oil the next time around.  Last time I was in such a hurry I bought the large jug and two additional quarts which were about $11.00 a quart.  Prices are crazy for Mobile one and unless you pick it up on a sale, it will break you.  Also, get the best oil filter you can afford, most of the generic filters are sub standard.  They have a sad card board filter element that will not filter out the crud, sludge, metal, etc. after a few thousands miles.  Why buy top quality oil and a cheap filter. Oil and filter is not the place to skimp on quality in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I do my own maintenance on my truck. I did not for the first 75,000 miles because all scheduled maintenance was covered by the dealer I bought the truck from. I save about $50-$75 each oil change because I run Rotella T6 Synthetic (15 Qts). The Ford 6.4L engine is also a little picky so I need to make sure everything is done correctly. Racor also holds the patent on the oil filter for my truck so I need to make sure it's a Motorcraft filter as the generics are known to cause major engine failure on the 6.4L engine. I've asked the local oil change shops if they can get a Motorcraft filter and Rotella Oil and they want an astronomical amount of money to fulfill my request as they don't stock those items.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I normally get a new truck when my oil needs to be changed.

haha funny you mention that, I have been going for coffee at a local coffee shop every friday afternoon for about 10 years with a bunch of buddies that meet there. I have a feeling one of the guys that meet with us does the same thing cause I don't think I have seen him drive the same vehicle twice...... 

• Like 1