Does anyone change their own oil anymore or is that extinct like the dinosaurs

olletsocmit

I may have mentioned it before, I went to college for automotive, thought I'd like that line of work, after 8 months in a shop, i couldn't stand being in the same place day in and day out so i moved on..... that being said, it has given me the know how to do my own maintenance, and help others out too, only if the mood strikes LOL... only do my own work on my car because of the savings and knowing I'll do it exactly how I want it done, too many horror stories out there!

• Like 2

For me, it is right about the same price for the dealer to do it !!! Yes, i said dealer. The coupons make it a no brainer !!!

and for what its worth, the dealer does all service and records stay with the truck for trade/resale. (That part just makes me fell better)

and i do realize that by doing this is costs me a brand new truck way too often !!!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are lucky to have dealerships that can do oil changes for what it would cost you to DIY.  Here in my part of canada, the quick-lube shops are $60 for basic changes, $90 for synthetic.  If you go to your respective dealership? forget about it, you're looking at $100+ for synthetic in most places.

heck, my Rav4 was just due up for some maintenance lately. I checked with the dealer because i was feeling a bit lazy.  An oil change (dino oil), brake fluid change, rear and front diff fluid change, and a transmission drain and fill, and they wanted something like $650+.   I think i spent about $75 in fluids, and had a nice afternoon changing it all out myself easy peezy.  For me, there is still quite a cost savings in DIY car maintenance even for oil changes, and also the self satisfaction that it's done right and i can choose what oil to run etc. 

4 hours ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Wtf that would destroy a engine if wouldn't have checked it

I dated a girl that after she went and got her oil changed they didn't but the plug back in, don't know how they didn't notice that one, eventually she blew her motor, guess karma got her #coldhardbitch haha

• Like 2

My brother took his girlfriends Accord for an oil change and the gasket from the old filter got stuck. He made it 3-4 miles before it locked up. 

The shop of course denied any fault. He got a police report, long story short, they eventually put a new motor in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I change my own oil and try to do as much work on my own even when going to a mechanic might be faster or easier. The only time it sucks is when it's cold out since I don't have a garage that you can park a vehicle in.

My truck has 280K+ miles on it and I like using extended mileage 15K oil and filters so I don't have to do changes often. I've replaced the starter and o2 sensors since I've had it, but for a 20yr old truck it runs pretty well.

f41f0d31110744d3900640ecd3bc41b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/8/2016 at 10:57 AM, CATERPILLAR said:

Wtf that would destroy a engine if wouldn't have checked it

Wouldn't the oil pressure light have come on? It has come on for me in the past when I had very low oil.

I usually take my car in to the dealership as I sort of enjoy it, they don't try to upsell me ever, and it's under warranty. I plan on doing it myself once my car is out of warranty.

• Like 1

I use that Amsoil as well. 16 quarts and a huge filter in my f-250 adds the savings when I'm not changing frequent...

But I don't see it as a ”problem"; how people wish to spend their money and where is their business, not mine

I'm also on amsoil. What's nice is if I forget to order, I can call my local distributor and pay the same rate that my membership offers. And pick it up at their shop. I'm only at 12 quarts on my Cummins. Now our company vehicles we take to the shop to get serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I typically change my own oil. I've gotten burned before going to quick lube places when all my extra driving caught up to me and I noticed I was due. Ill never do that again. Occasionally I go into a shop to have it done. I know the family that owns it and really trust them and their mechanics. For 35 bucks for oil and filter plus a bumper to bumper inspection, you can't beat the peace of mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_dave said:

I typically change my own oil. I've gotten burned before going to quick lube places when all my extra driving caught up to me and I noticed I was due. Ill never do that again. Occasionally I go into a shop to have it done. I know the family that owns it and really trust them and their mechanics. For 35 bucks for oil and filter plus a bumper to bumper inspection, you can't beat the peace of mind. 

Good price, and yes, if you know they don't try to sell you everything you don't even need like in the quicklube shops, sounds like a great place

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weird Tolkienish Figure said:

Wouldn't the oil pressure light have come on? It has come on for me in the past when I had very low oil.

I usually take my car in to the dealership as I sort of enjoy it, they don't try to upsell me ever, and it's under warranty. I plan on doing it myself once my car is out of warranty.

I was actually surprised it even started/ran at all, i figured there would be a pressure switch that cut the fuel pump, that might just be older vehicles...

• Like 1

I haven't changed my own oil in about 10 years. It's just such a hassle to dispose of the oil. It is a shameful waste of money to  pay someone else to do your oil. Such an easy job. Any then you know it is done right. Oh well.   

It's pretty easy to dispose of oil for me. Every autoparts store including Walmart will take it for free. I recently discovered that waste management has a special service called AtYourDoor where they will pickup automotive fluids free of charge. It's a lengthy process to schedule it out, but I plan accordingly. I have a pickup scheduled for Jan 11 right now for all my fluids from my recent PM.
  • Like 1

I notice the same problem here in the Pacific NW.  A large amount of people no longer change their own oil or dont change it period.  They all take their cars to dealers or shops and pay anywhere from $65 to $100 for an oil change using "quality synthetics".  When they do change their oil, its being done every 5,000 miles which is outrageous.

I do my own oil changes on all the vehicles in my family and in-laws.  I just store the used oil in a coulple 5gallon buckets and when full, take them to O'Reillys down the street.  Free disposal.  I use Amsoil in all the vehicles which saves a lot of time and money, both on oil changes and maintenance.  I use their Signature Series which is a 25,000/1 year oil.  Costs about $85 once a year, which includes filter.  More for larger engines.

I'm not sold on Amsoil. I put it in my 6.4 powerstroke once, ran an oil analysis at 5,000 miles and the wear numbers were double and triple what they are with Rotella T-6.

How many miles were on that engine when you put in the Amsoil?  I ask because switching to Amsoil can sometimes actually clean out any deposits and/or metals.  It could also be that the rings are worn and that engine likes the thicker oil.  Amsoil tends to run a bit thinner at operating temperature while meeting proper weight and viscosity.

• Like 1