Does anyone change their own oil anymore or is that extinct like the dinosaurs

olletsocmit

How many miles were on that engine when you put in the Amsoil?  I ask because switching to Amsoil can sometimes actually clean out any deposits and/or metals.  It could also be that the rings are worn and that engine likes the thicker oil.  Amsoil tends to run a bit thinner at operating temperature while meeting proper weight and viscosity.

Roughly 75,000 miles. On a diesel, it wasn't even broken in yet. Many 6.0L, 6.4L and 6.7L powerstroke owners have reported similar results on another forum that I'm a member of. Amsoil had such poor oil analysis numbers we began to call it "scamsoil"

Roughly 75,000 miles. On a diesel, it wasn't even broken in yet. Many 6.0L, 6.4L and 6.7L powerstroke owners have reported similar results on another forum that I'm a member of. Amsoil had such poor oil analysis numbers we began to call it "scamsoil"

Well y'all are ford owners so.... [emoji23][emoji111]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Us Cummins guys analyze our oil by taste!

• Like 1

I stopped changing oil in my cars and truck years ago.By the time you drag out the jack and or ramps and take a chance on getting crushed to death.Get all dirty and oily and have to wash your clothes.Plus run around buying oil and filters.Its just not worth it.I stick to just two places to get my oil changed.

#1 Choice is the local Cadillac GMC dealer I pay a little more but the mechanics change the oil and the shop is so clean you could eat off the floor and every 5th oil change is free so that helps keep the price reasonable.

#2 Choice is the Chevrolet Buick dealership GM Goodwrench quick lube center.There cheaper and your in and out faster.You pull right in sort of like all the quicky places.I watch them like a hawk to make sure I see the filter change take place and that the drain plug in tightened but not by a 700 pound gorilla.

I avoid the shade tree shops and the quick lube places that hire gear heads and kids .If there making near minimum wage they could careless about good service. 

• 2 weeks later...

I still change the oil in our vehicles.  We have a Chevy Colorado and GMC Yukon, so no need to get out ramps and jack stands because I can easily fit underneath.

I use synthetic oil and go 5-6000 between changes.  I keep the used oil in a 5 gallon bucket and empty it out at Auto Zone for free when I go in to buy oil and filters for the next change.

When I bought my first car that actually required a monthly payment I took it in to the dealer for the first oil change and they forgot to add new oil!!!  Ever since then I've done it on my own.

A lot of people in my area just change their own.  Cost wise it's probably not worth it if you use conventional oil but I definitely save money with synthetic plus I go much longer between changes.

• Like 2

Bravo to those that change their own oil. It is so simple to do yet fewer and fewer people are doing it, not from laziness, but from not knowing how.

Teenagers and young adults are being taught to buy their dreams, not build them. In this case, pay someone else to do something you should be doing for yourself.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Bravo to those that change their own oil. It is so simple to do yet fewer and fewer people are doing it, not from laziness, but from not knowing how.

Teenagers and young adults are being taught to buy their dreams, not build them. In this case, pay someone else to do something you should be doing for yourself.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My cousins daughter in her mid 20's was late to her baby shower because she was changing her oil. Herself! Not that I recommend a petite, or any pregnant woman to crawl under and change their own oil, but I had to admire her tenacity! But if a similar scenario arises for her she knows now to give me a call!

• 1 month later...

I change my own oil.  Told myself when I left the auto industry that I'd spend the difference in labor on better parts/fluids.  I've put almost 200k miles on my truck and it's been in the shop four times--once for a roadside emergency (wheel bearing), once for an alignment, and twice for tires and alignment.  I am getting to the point where other fluids feel like a hassle.  Contemplating taking it to a dealer for transfer case, transmission, and differential fluid changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I did once when I still had my Chevy s10. It required driving up ramps. and keeping the front tires on the ramps. I failed the first time and drove off so my dad did it for me but I ain't doing it with my civic. It has so little ground clearance that it would get stuck if the front wheels roll off.

On 12/29/2016 at 2:20 PM, NicolasRamos said:

Us Cummins guys analyze our oil by taste!

My first Cummins was a 97 12 valve. I used what ever 15w-40 was on sale. Usually Rotella or Mobil Delvac, I sold the truck with 330K on it and it was still a good truck.

Now I have an 05 Cummins / Dodge I'm just following the same routine, I drop the oil about every 4K and change the Fuel filter on every second oil change. I asked the owner of a local diesel repair shop about the Synthetic Rotella and he said he would not bother paying the extra $$ for it.

The 97 was a 4x4 so I had a petcock drain plug. The 05 is 2 wheel drive and the petcock plug sat lower than the frame so I sent it back. It was super easy to just slide the pan under and flip the lever to drain the oil.

• 2 months later...

I have never had good luck with my diesels and Dodge dealers. When I bought a new one in 97, I took it to the dealer for its first oil and fuel filter change.

When I picked it up, I checked the oil and it didn't register on the stick. The mechanic only put 5qts in not knowing it took 3gallons.

They said the fuel filter was in the tank, so I pointed to the big canister on the side of the motor containing the fuel filter and said "what is that"?  It was the first diesel the mechanic ever opened the hood on.

A few months ago I took my truck to the Dealer because I was having an issue passing smog. One of the computer monitors kept coming up saying "Misfire monitor not ready" Which is a known issue with 04 / 05 dodge cummins trucks. Dealer said code was coming up for fan clutch. Its a funky fan clutch controlled by the computer. Even if I replaced it myself I would need computer flashed.  $1200.00 later I still have the same issue. I took it to a state referee center and it passed smog fine.... They said its a federal truck not a CA truck so it only has to meet federal smog regulations not CA regulations. The technical bulletins say to ignore "Misfire monitor not ready" issue. 

So how come the dealer did not know this? 

• 8 months later...

From my experience of dealing with the aftermath of dealer technicians, diesels are a complete foreign concept to them. They tend to do more damage than good. Factory trained only means so much. You can factory train a monkey and it will do is best the engine with a wrench, it's still factory trained.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I always do my own. Truck, wifes car, and VW tdi. I had a ford pinto in the early 80s and was in a hurry so had a jiffy lube type place do it. It was leaking a little in the driveway so drove it up on ramps and looked. They had stripped the drain bolt, so gooped it up with silicone glue and put it back in.  Yep, im paranoid. 

• Like 1