Preferred ratchets?

Conductor562

24 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

Here are the ratchets that live in my toolbox. My most used ratchets are the Carlyle ones. The 3/8 snap on ratchet is the newest one.

image.jpeg

How are the carlyles in comparison to the Pittsburghs in price and functionality? Is that cart your new one?

53 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

Here are the ratchets that live in my toolbox. My most used ratchets are the Carlyle ones. The 3/8 snap on ratchet is the newest one.

image.jpeg

I have that composite HF ratchet, you like it?

3 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

How are the carlyles in comparison to the Pittsburghs in price and functionality? Is that cart your new one?

The carlyles are some of the best ones I've used. The long 3/8 was about $45 if I remember right. The roto ratchet was 60 or so I think. I Like them way better than the Pittsburgh ratchets.  They don't flex as much and they ratchet much smoother. They are incredibly strong too. The 100 tooth is on almost all of the trucks and I saw it first with the Carlyle name on it. I'm not sure if they were the first ones to use it though. It is just the bottom portion of my toolbox. I havent bought a cart yet

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kato said:

I keep wanting to get a couple of palm ratchets but never do. Sooner or later I gotta get one or two, they look way too handy to not be using one

He accepted my $8 offer a while back, the knurling isn't great but the action is smooth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SK-45172-3-8-inch-thumb-drive-ratchet-/191856837110

I don't really recommend the Kobalts but I got those in a couple of sets built around that palm ratchet for like $6. The Kobalt does 1/4" sockets and 1/4" hex bits, it has a 1/4" extension that can be inserted in the side to make it into a handled ratchet. Also the 1/4" female side of the extension accepts 1/4" hex...but because it's hexagonal it doesn't stay on the male 1/4" square very well because the ball doesn't lock on. I have one set in the car and one at work, never really used either set but I can see how the set can be handy...I just have better options at work and haven't needed it in the car.

8 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

He accepted my $8 offer a while back, the knurling isn't great but the action is smooth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SK-45172-3-8-inch-thumb-drive-ratchet-/191856837110

I don't really recommend the Kobalts but I got those in a couple of sets built around that palm ratchet for like $6. The Kobalt does 1/4" sockets and 1/4" hex bits, it has a 1/4" extension that can be inserted in the side to make it into a handled ratchet. Also the 1/4" female side of the extension accepts 1/4" hex...but because it's hexagonal it doesn't stay on the male 1/4" square very well because the ball doesn't lock on. I have one set in the car and one at work, never really used either set but I can see how the set can be handy...I just have better options at work and haven't needed it in the car.

Paid the same for that Sk, its not a bad little ratchet, like Bmack said the knurling sucks but the ratchet mechanism is nice, needs to be lubed but beware its a tricky little fella.

hmmmmmmmmmm.............. dont have an up to date pic.

i'll will, if you guys desire.

i just have this pic of rats i put driver handles on. sometimes, a hard handle to pull on is hard on the paws.

006.JPG

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, phffter said:

hmmmmmmmmmm.............. dont have an up to date pic.

i'll will, if you guys desire.

i just have this pic of rats i put driver handles on. sometimes, a hard handle to pull on is hard on the paws.

006.JPG

Dude that's awesome!

On 5/4/2016 at 4:00 PM, NicholasShetley said:

The carlyles are some of the best ones I've used. The long 3/8 was about $45 if I remember right. The roto ratchet was 60 or so I think. I Like them way better than the Pittsburgh ratchets.  They don't flex as much and they ratchet much smoother. They are incredibly strong too. The 100 tooth is on almost all of the trucks and I saw it first with the Carlyle name on it. I'm not sure if they were the first ones to use it though. It is just the bottom portion of my toolbox. I havent bought a cart yet

Congrats hombre you got me to order in the long flex head Carlyle, it was about $60 while that 100 tooth was $100 so I will pass on it untill I can get a good deal on it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Congrats hombre you got me to order in the long flex head Carlyle, it was about $60 while that 100 tooth was $100 so I will pass on it untill I can get a good deal on it.

Glad to see I made you give in. Let us know how you like it. I need to take mine apart and lube it. I can post pictures of it if you want. The ratcheting mechanism should be the same.

• Like 1

gathered them together. had to id some with tape, so they'd go back where they belong. i forgot my 1'' set at the job site, along with a few others. torque wrenches and ratcheting torque adapters, refrigeration ratchet (that's another thread), and prehistoric type not included.

listed by size, 1/4 thru 3/4. no harbor fright. 1 gearwrench.

1.4_zpsh0va5jzw.jpg

3.8_zpsyz5ckbsf.jpg

1.2_zpsaigtctem.jpg

3.4_zpsq6hhptqg.jpg

• Like 4