FESTOOL Pro5 delay.

William S

5 minutes ago, khariV said:

Wow so maybe I'm not just a craptastic woodworker. I was thinking that I was just an idiot because my Pro5 sander would regularly just start vibrating horribly and hop around. I figured it had something to do with the fact that I'm using a shop vac instead of a proper DC unit. 

I guess I should read FOG. What would I need to do to get it serviced and how long does it take?

Should just be a matter of contacting their US Customer Service and they should get you a shipping label. Every person on Instagram that has sent one to be serviced has received theirs back in about a week, that'll probably depend on your location and where it has to ship too as well as how many they have in front of yours in the queue.

5 minutes ago, comp56 said:

hopefully they don't have a batch of bad sanders pumping them out so fast the QC went out the window with the last shipment, that will be just another bad turn for them.

I see it now:

how many sanders we have ready?

1400 but a few of them don't seem to be right.

ship them anyway or we will never get caught up with back orders

So the problem with using a shop vac is simply this.....you cannot adjust the volume of the intake whereas on most of the D.C. units out there you can. The reason you are having such a hard time with the vibration is the inability to control the vacuum CFM. That's the thing with Bosch, Dewalt, Fein, Makita and Festool units is that ability to adjust the volume allowing a controlled sanding of the product. When sanding with my Bosch or Festool sanders, if I crank the CFM up I get a very hard sanding and the machine jumps around a lot. Try using the dust bag that came with the unit. If there is still a problem then you should send it back however this sander is based on the ETS125 just upgraded so it is a really proven machine with newer features. Hope this helps bro!

• Like 1

I don't own a Milwaukee sander Comp so beats me. The Festool sanders have many many dust ports that are vented through the machine so this is probably the issue, that is why the Festool sanders have such a great reputation for dust collection.

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

I don't own a Milwaukee sander Comp so beats me. The Festool sanders have many many dust ports that are vented through the machine so this is probably the issue, that is why the Festool sanders have such a great reputation for dust collection.

I realize, I'm just a little puzzled as to how air flow could manipulate a sander's performance and or ability (vibration, jumping around ect ect)

Just now, comp56 said:

I realize, I'm just a little puzzled as to how air flow could manipulate a sander's performance and or ability (vibration, jumping around ect ect)

The more ducts means the more air going through the pad. More suction through more ports makes the sander jump. It's actually pretty common Comp. One of the quickest diagnosis for this with the sanders is to adjust the flow. That's what makes these sanders so good.

5 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

The more ducts means the more air going through the pad. More suction through more ports makes the sander jump. It's actually pretty common Comp. One of the quickest diagnosis for this with the sanders is to adjust the flow. That's what makes these sanders so good.

well I guess I must have a great combination between the shop vac I'm using and the Milwaukee sander for air flow amounts I have as it seems to be smooth dust free sanding. 

2 minutes ago, comp56 said:

well I guess I must have a great combination between the shop vac I'm using and the Milwaukee sander for air flow amounts I have as it seems to be smooth dust free sanding. 

Sounds like you have a great combo there Comp, Festool tools seem to be manufactured differently so maybe it's just a difference between tool brands? What might work for a Milwaukee might not work for a Festool but based on my experience with both my Festool and Bosch tools I think it's a vacuum issue.

11 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I'm going to see if I can cancel mine. It was intended as a Christmas present for someone but March seems a little late for that. I'd keep it but woodworking doesn't get me my paycheck and I don't have free time for anything else.

See if you can change the shipping address. I'll take it and happy to give you something extra for your troubles.

3 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

While the suction strength certainly impacts performance of a ROS, there is a known issue with these Pro 5 Sanders requiring service and a bearing replacement.

Geesh, didn't know about that one! I've been pretty lucky with mine thus far but....my Kapex concerns me more. I have been reading about some motor burn out problems. That would be an expensive fix.

47 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

At this point I think I'll still wait for mine to come, I believe that it must be a good one from what I hear and see, so I really want to experience it for myself.

Awesome Not Carl! I hope you like it but it's a slippery slope. Thankfully the cost keeps me in line ;)

Wow heck of a debockle guys! This is a known mechanical issue that numerous guys have had, now I do use a rigid vac but on my many other sanders I don't have issues, even without the vac attached it kicks around like a ping ping ball

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

At this point I think I'll still wait for mine to come, I believe that it must be a good one from what I hear and see, so I really want to experience it for myself.

Same here. I'm far enough into this debacle that I'd be more pissed at myself for canceling after waiting 3 months than I would be at Festool. Though I am at least luckier than everyone that's stuck waiting until March. Mine is supposed to be to the dealer around January 17th and then shipped to me. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hear Festool is quality....is it for cabinet makers ? Finish shop owners ? I never see a Festool product in the building trades ....I saw some Festool products finally at a lumber yard recently....I don't see the quality over Milwaukee or Dewalt...or the storage containers,they look like they will break if I drop them...unlike a tough system case or Milwaukee case..........the plastic looks cheap...none or little overmold......gotta be a "in shop" use thing and stack the boxes...German motors and parts would be good...

@Framer joeDefinitely not contractor use. But for anyone that needs ultimate precision and great dust collection. It comes at a price. The Systainers would not be good for job contractor beating around although they are tougher than they look.

Everything they sell is great stuff. Only question would be if its worth it.  My Festool stuff never leaves my shop and friends know better than to ask to borrow it.

Made in Germany has a high price attached. Someone makes an honest wage to build Festool units instead of the pittance paid for labor building most other colours of tools (I should know, I have plenty of labels to read that all have some version of "made in China" on them).

I've seen remodelers and finishing carpenters/trim guys with systainers. Definitely not for framers lmao.

As far as the Pro5 goes, it's a little squirrelly on my end but nothing too bad at all. I've been taping my M18 vac to it and the dust collection is actually amazing. I can only imagine it will be even better with a proper Dewalt or Festool dust extraxtor. 

• Like 1

There are a ton of guys that use them in the field. But it would be more specialty trim carpenters in my opinion.  If you cant make a mess at your customers house then Festool is it. I dont think anyone will argue there is nothing better for capturing the mess.

• Like 2