New tool releases from Milwaukee

KnarlyCarl

Here's a few minor releases from Milwaukee that's not exactly the forefront of what you might see

I actually bought a few things....

The new plumber's level is awesome!!

The Empire level I bought as well to compare, it will play second fiddle to the Milwaukee though.....

IMG_20161118_174759106

Love the enormous vial, the strong magnets and the compact but sturdy design. I had the previous level which I wholly disliked, but kept using it just because i kept putting off getting a new one.

Then there's the 12" (also have a 6" model available) measure wheel.

I've never had a measure wheel, although I've used one at work.

This one has a major issue which is unacceptable for me, it will be getting exchanged shortly

IMG_20161118_174928646

The number roll doesn't turn sometimes, you can watch the clip below of it being problematic. I haven't ever had the one at work mess up like this.

I love the kickstand design they used on this, but the the zero point indicator?? Seriously? Quite useless IMO...

It has a little flap of rubber to keep the dirt scraped off the wheel, ok that's cool I guess

Folds up nicely and really, I like the way it rides along the ground, it feels like it's heavier and doesn't bump around so much.

Honestly, I was expecting more, but in reality, the faulty number wheel is the weakest link, so you know what they say about the weakest link.....

As you can see, the indicator pointer will get hung up on stuff, and it's pretty cheesy, I could snap it off by setting it down wrong the first time.

Only thing I need now to really like this is a properly functioning number dial.

It has a sweet handle mounted dial reset and wheel brake! If I need to measure overall length of something and have to pick it up and set it down, I like that a lot!

IMG_20161119_121713976

Oh, and it is pretty sturdy!!

• Like 2

Also decided to give the new tape measures a try, 2 for 1 deal at HD...

IMG_20161118_174816195

Smaller hook on the end, can stand the tape up when measure out a board and you lock the tape and let it set, the hook isn't "tighter than a frog's a$$" anymore, as someone put it LOL!! It actually sits on my belt so much better without me having to pry the clip out with a pair of pliers (that's what I had to do on the previous version) you would never have it come off your belt, but you could never get it to go on either!!!

Another thing worth mentioning is my new crawlspace light, the M18 spotlight.

I put it on spotlight mode when i'm about to enter a crawlspace and can shine it to the farthest corners of the crawlspace to see the spot i need to go to, then on my way there, and when I get to the spot i need to investigate, I switch it to flood mode and get to work.

IMG_20161102_145438993

Also it brings back memories from grade school when the star field screensaver was all the rage LOL!!!!

• Like 3

The other new torpedo level:

c6d92038-c3c1-482e-bcaa-7c2a037b3caf_100

On this level, the magnets are in the V-groove of the level, on my new plumbers torpedo level, the magnets are on the flat. 

This is to place this level on a piece of pipe to hold it there easier, iron pipe, or conduit.

Take the following with a grain of salt, take away from it what you will....

OMSID%20207132433%20In-Line%20Content.jp

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

The other new torpedo level:

c6d92038-c3c1-482e-bcaa-7c2a037b3caf_100

On this level, the magnets are in the V-groove of the level, on my new plumbers torpedo level, the magnets are on the flat. 

This is to place this level on a piece of pipe to hold it there easier, iron pipe, or conduit.

Take the following with a grain of salt, take away from it what you will....

OMSID%20207132433%20In-Line%20Content.jp

I like the looks of this one....I'm waiting on the weed wacker........

6 minutes ago, Bremon said:

How do the levels compare to Stabila?

I have no idea, I can't find a graduated level that is all rectangular, the closest I found was THIS which isn't available, but I don't want those round parts preventing easy access in my toolvest I would carry the level in.

I imagine the the 10" level listed above, I would need to have a use for them to buy them to compare, as it is, i have no need for the 10" level anyways... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel Julian said:

Can't speak for the Milwaukee rolling measure, but my Stanley does the same thing. Seems to be when I don't press the clear/reset button all the way. Disappointing to see this on Milwaukee. 

Huh. If that's the case, I'll just stick to my 300' tape roll....

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

I use a jobsite radio 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I'm excited for this release lol. 

I have one on in my shop 24/7 (plugged in)  but it is only for background sound don't need it to be a discotech

2 hours ago, khariV said:

I'm definitely in the "excited to get this" group on this one. I love how compact the M12 speaker is, but the sound could definitely be better. 

Agreed, this will replace my M12 for sure. 

3 hours ago, comp56 said:

I have one on in my shop 24/7 (plugged in)  but it is only for background sound don't need it to be a discotech

I need the discotech lol. If it can't go loud then odds are I can't hear talk radio over what I'm doing 75 feet away worth a crap. The shop is full of compressors, CNC, electric and pneumatic pumps, etc. How can I pass the day without quality programming like Edmonton AM or Alberta @ Noon :P

I'm thinking about this for a shop / job site radio.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016V8XF74/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mymonsteraudio-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B016V8XF74&linkId=070fbbf94c2ec37dafee54d54de996c8

The battery has 100hrs of life, so does it really have to run off my cordless batteries? I have all Milwaukee and their 40 watt radio is 200.00 This is 80 watts for the same price. 

8 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I dislike it already because they use Bose and Beats as the benchmark to compare it against. Both overpriced, overhyped, and underwhelming in my opinion.

Agreed on Bose and Beats but they're popular so it makes sense to compare against them. I'm excited for it and the level, I'm glad I haven't invested in a Milwaukee radio yet, just using a cheap bluetooth speaker. Some of the speaker tech is insane, I'll have to post a picture of some of the premium sound speakers in Sharp and Panasonic TVs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

I'm thinking about this for a shop / job site radio.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016V8XF74/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mymonsteraudio-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B016V8XF74&linkId=070fbbf94c2ec37dafee54d54de996c8

The battery has 100hrs of life, so does it really have to run off my cordless batteries? I have all Milwaukee and their 40 watt radio is 200.00 This is 80 watts for the same price. 

I've fixed one under warranty. The sound is decent and battery lasts a while, it uses the same batteries in APS UPS (battery backups). It's not exactly electronically robust, get the longest warranty you can. I have pictures of the boards somewhere, let me see if I can find them.

22 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

Here are the pics(I thought I had better pics:

Main board, notice the fit isn't very good. This board had to be replaced because the bluetooth wasn't working:

xMPhSF5.jpg

Cheap components, this had to be replaced because the battery wouldn't charge.

ku8oGnb.jpg

It mostly tore down:

No picture of the power supply but it's in the top right of this photo covered by a black piece of plastic. It had a couple of bodges on it but it worked.

xIyBfeZ.jpg

This is the replacement battery(I believe), in talking to their service department this was a common failure. This unit needed this replaced as well.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-650-12V-Battery/dp/B00A82MU6W

I've worked on one of these and three of the five major parts had to be replaced AND the power switch didn't work. BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!

• Like 1