Home Depot

BMack37

1 hour ago, Justin Hernandez said:

It's to much money you can buy the sawzall and the battery on ebay for $180. You would get the charger for free buying this kit but I always consider chargers to be free when buying a kit. Plus when I think about it I thought I saw this kit on sale for $199 months ago, so they took $25 off so big deal. I saw two circular saws at the first HD too but didn't look how much they were. I think the box doesn't market very well and is confusing for most people. To me it looks like your only buying a battery and charger for $249 the small picture of the sawzall in the corner doesn't even catch my eye. But then they try really hard to market how much it would cost if purchased separately $449, give me a break HD. How would a 9.0 battery and a charger ever cost $249, what a joke. So yea bad marketing and price inflation made these kits a dud. Ebay has great prices as everyone is buying big kits and then selling individual tools. They make money and save us money win win

I'm wanting the next drop! I saw a couple of them in Georgia, that's where I picked up the nailer for $100. I saw a couple of the kits in Tampa when they first started getting posted online, they were gone pretty quickly.

For those interested, Phenix City, AL has a few of the Sawzall kits at $175.  Kinda sucks since I just picked one up for $200 a week or two ago.  As for the pricing, I think its pretty good.  This kit basically gives you a free 9.0Ah battery and rapid charger while saving $5 on the Sawzall.

Also, I went on a casual cruise this morning and found a DeWalt 7-1/4" miter saw for $200.  Already had one but for $192 with tax I couldn't pass it up.  Good thing I picked up two of the DWX725B work stands with brackets earlier this year.  Another store had the saws for $280, my local store still has them at $350, and the one I already had cost around $240 with tax.

2 hours ago, fm2176 said:

For those interested, Phenix City, AL has a few of the Sawzall kits at $175.  Kinda sucks since I just picked one up for $200 a week or two ago.  As for the pricing, I think its pretty good.  This kit basically gives you a free 9.0Ah battery and rapid charger while saving $5 on the Sawzall.

Also, I went on a casual cruise this morning and found a DeWalt 7-1/4" miter saw for $200.  Already had one but for $192 with tax I couldn't pass it up.  Good thing I picked up two of the DWX725B work stands with brackets earlier this year.  Another store had the saws for $280, my local store still has them at $350, and the one I already had cost around $240 with tax.

Return it! Most stores will accept a return for "Found a better price"

• Like 1

The FlexVolt miter and table saws have dropped in price, as has the 20v Max miter saw.  Prices at my local store are now $560, $350, and $280 respectively.  I grabbed a second 20v Max saw a couple of weeks ago for $180.  I figure one will be stationary and one mobile, though I may keep different blades on each.

The Ridgid 18v compressor is down to $150, the Bosch miter saw that was originally almost $1000 is under $500, and the Husky uni-jack is out of stock but with a $15.02 sticker.  I picked two up a few weeks ago for $30 apiece; they beat dragging my floor jack downstairs.

Prices were just reduced on most of this stuff.  The compressor was $180 last week and the other prices were reduced since I last visited on Sunday.  Despite the reduced price, the compressor still qualifies for the current Ridgid promo.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DR99 said:

Wow lots of price drops wonder if tool sales are slowing, or that store could just be super slow at selling larger ticket items.

Seeing the Dewalt miters at a lot of HDs on clearance. They might be changing the packaging (pieces in the kit). HD clearanced the Milwaukee nailers getting rid of the kits and carrying the bare tools, for example.

Though I don't really see them moving at the clearance pricing either.

Wouldn't it be simpler on inventory if they stocked bare tools and if you wanted it as a kit you picked up a battery and charger kit? They offer starter kits sometimes , but this would be different, and be worth it financially. The only other thing that would be an issue is the tool storage it would have to be a tool bag over a blow molded case.

10 minutes ago, DR99 said:

Wouldn't it be simpler on inventory if they stocked bare tools and if you wanted it as a kit you picked up a battery and charger kit? They offer starter kits sometimes , but this would be different, and be worth it financially. The only other thing that would be an issue is the tool storage it would have to be a tool bag over a blow molded case.

I could see this working, especially if they worked out a bundle deal for starter kits.  Imagine 20v Max bare tools for their regular price of $99 to $159, with the option of adding a 2Ah starter kit for and additional $50 or a higher capacity starter kit for $100 more.  The starter kits alone could be regular price, with the bundle being an incentive to effectively buy a combo.

On the flip side, how many chargers are out there due to the preponderance of combos?  I have four Milwaukee tools, one light, and five batteries, but have four chargers.  I have three Ridgid chargers for seven batteries and six tools.  As for DeWalt, I don't want to even speculate about how many 12v/20v Max chargers I own.  It's nice having a few, but I need to start selling or giving away extras.

Id imagine the margins are better the way it is. I'm glad it's this way, it drives the cost of the second market down. You can buy batteries split from kits for a lot cheaper than buying a stand alone battery.

With Ridgid, the lifetime warranty does not extend to batteries purchased outside of kits...that would have to change and that might not be in their best interests.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:39 AM, DR99 said:

That's why Ryobi does this exact thing 

On 14/09/2017 at 8:39 PM, DR99 said:

All of the brands do it down here. You buy anything bare tool (skin). Cases don't worry me, I throw most of the hard cases out.

Well, the Home Depot in Cordele, GA was a bust.  That's where I've bought a lot of $.02 deals, and even one penny deal, in the past.  They did have some good deals, but I'm kind of short of money now (imagine that) and couldn't afford the $450 for the portable power station, $560 for the Flexvolt miter, or $350 for the Flexvolt table saw.  The first two are definitely on my list, though.  My local store has three of the miter saws and hasn't moved any for months, even with the price drop.  If/when they drop again, I'll probably grab one.  Watched the TIA review and the comparison with the Milwaukee, and for the price it's worth buying just to use corded while using the batteries elsewhere (maybe with the two 7-1/4 miter saws I have just to amuse myself).

13 hours ago, rfwjr said:

My HD has 3 of these at $125.00 clearance. 

Between these kits and the Flexvolt saws, one can surmise that pros just don't buy into cordless tools, at least not at Home Depot.  I can imagine that many use cordless drills and drivers, but maybe they still prefer breaking out the generator to run their cutting tools.  I haven't worked on a jobsite in almost twenty years, and my time on a framing crew was short.  My boss had a trailer with a generator and compressor in it, and we'd use the generator to run the circular saw (no on-site miter saw) and the compressor to run the nail guns. 

I would think that contractors would strive to keep up with technology, but it is expensive.  Even so, if I saw these kits I'd at least look at them and consider their potential value.  I, for one, bought the circular saw kit at full early this year, figuring they'd go quick.  Obviously, I was wrong, as I could have save $75 or so buying one now.  Similarly, I bought the Sawzall for $200 about a month ago for the same reason: someone shopping for a cordless reciprocating saw would doubtlessly see it.  The bare tool sells for $180-$200, so this kit would be a no-brainer at $200 or below. 

Sadly, though, unless you're in an area where people just can't afford $125, those kits will probably get snatched up by resellers who'll sell each component off and easily double their money. 

15 hours ago, fm2176 said:

Between these kits and the Flexvolt saws, one can surmise that pros just don't buy into cordless tools, at least not at Home Depot.  I can imagine that many use cordless drills and drivers, but maybe they still prefer breaking out the generator to run their cutting tools.  I haven't worked on a jobsite in almost twenty years, and my time on a framing crew was short.  My boss had a trailer with a generator and compressor in it, and we'd use the generator to run the circular saw (no on-site miter saw) and the compressor to run the nail guns. 

I would think that contractors would strive to keep up with technology, but it is expensive.  Even so, if I saw these kits I'd at least look at them and consider their potential value.  I, for one, bought the circular saw kit at full early this year, figuring they'd go quick.  Obviously, I was wrong, as I could have save $75 or so buying one now.  Similarly, I bought the Sawzall for $200 about a month ago for the same reason: someone shopping for a cordless reciprocating saw would doubtlessly see it.  The bare tool sells for $180-$200, so this kit would be a no-brainer at $200 or below. 

Sadly, though, unless you're in an area where people just can't afford $125, those kits will probably get snatched up by resellers who'll sell each component off and easily double their money. 

The guy told me that they found these in the overhead and they were already on clearance.  He said that it does happen more than you think.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2017 at 11:06 AM, fm2176 said:

I've always been told to never buy the first generation of a new tool. Wait for the 2nd generation, they'll work out the kinks and they're normally on sale a few months after they are released. 

Cordless saws just don't have the grunt if your making cut after cut after cut. They're handy no doubt, but electric saws are more consistent and you don't have to stop and change out/charge batteries.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kiwi_in_oz said:

I've always been told to never buy the first generation of a new tool. Wait for the 2nd generation, they'll work out the kinks and they're normally on sale a few months after they are released. 

Cordless saws just don't have the grunt if your making cut after cut after cut. They're handy no doubt, but electric saws are more consistent and you don't have to stop and change out/charge batteries.

There was a time when that way of thinking was quite valid, now I'd disagree.  Tool makers constantly make revises and updates to current tools without any fanfare.  Batteries charge very quickly these days so I never experience downtime because of waiting to charge (also doesn't hurt to have a handful of charged batteries).  Also cordless saws have become quite powerful  and while I'm not completely cordless with my saws I can still build a deck or garage without plugging in a saw.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jimjs7434584
    Newest Member
    jimjs7434584