Dewalt vs Makita plunge saws

AJB

As title

Interested in buying a plunge saw.

would like people's views on the differences and any experience with Dewalt or Makita plunge saws and the rails

ps. Before any asks, I haven't the budget for Festool. So please don't go off on one about how good they are

would you benefit from cordless? If so then DeWALT is coming out with a flexvolt plunge/track saw in 2017 in North America. I think Europe already has it or a variant of it. Might be an option to look at. If a cord is something you want then I would go with which ever company you already have tools with. I'm sure that either the Makita or the DeWALT corded version would work great. I don't know much about track saws but if the required track is different for each saw then I would go with the one that fits your track if you already have the track. Was planing on getting the flexvolt myself when it comes out. It will be my first track saw. I was thinking since I don't have much space in the garage for tools I would rather have the track saw than a table saw to save space. I will have to figure out a solution for small lumber but thats ok.

• Like 3

I don't post much round' here, but I think I can weigh in on this. I have been using my Makita tracksaw for 8 years now and it is definitely one of my favorite tools to use. It does the job great. My work recently got the DeWalt so I've put a few mile on that one too. They are both built well and I think the only difference I can find using them is that the Makita has a distinct plunge action. Meaning you pivot the saw downward to start the cut, whereas the DeWalt has more forward motion to the plunging action. If you only used one saw I doubt you would notice anything, I do switching between saws. They take the same blades, as stated the DeWalt can use both tracks, I believe most accessories are also interchangeable. Given everything I think the DeWalt comes out slightly ahead due to it having a riving knife. Not having a riving knife on my Makita hasn't been much of an issue because I use a cutting table, but it is a nice feature. Regardless of your pick I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Also I would suggest getting both a long and a short track, don't mess around connecting rails. Lastly I find the clamps crucial, yes the tracks have a grippy strip and they tend not to slide around, but I don't like taking the chance. Good luck and happy cutting! ?

• Like 1

I love my Makita track saw, been using it for a year now and do not know what I would do without it. I use the table saw a lot less now. With that said. I will be buying the FlexVold DeWalt when it becomes available. I run the FlexVolt table saw now and will be picking up the miter saw. It just makes sense. Plus I like cordless tools. 

I will determine if my work flow could benefit from both or if I will sell the Makita. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AJB said:

Flexvolt option is already available over here in the U.K. 

Doesn't really benefit me as I'll be using it in my workshop and it will be hooked up to dust extraction as well

•  
  •  

does the flexvolt option have a riving knife? or at least an option to install one?