Any hope for a 7 1/4 20V brushless circular saw?

DPSElias

I've been hoping for dewalt to bring one to market but all they did was bring the 60V which I fine but I have like 15 20V batteries, I'm seriously thinking of expanding my m12 line and start buying M18 stuff just for the circular saw.

Anyone know if Dewalt will make a 20V version of there 7 1/4 saw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I dont know what milwaukee is doing with their 7-1/2 saw (I'm guessing using a 9.0 hd pack) but I doubt 20v or a less than hd m18 pack could provide the performance as one would expect with a flexvolt, m18 9.0 hd, or corded variants. I see it more likely to have a 6-1/2 flexvolt than a 7-1/2 20v. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I don't understand... if you want a 20v becauase you already have an investment in 20v batteries, why would you buy an m18 circular saw that is an orphan? At least with a flexvolt 60v, the new battery(ies) will be backwards compatible to your existing 20v gear.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ric.M said:

I don't understand... if you want a 20v becauase you already have an investment in 20v batteries, why would you buy an m18 circular saw that is an orphan? At least with a flexvolt 60v, the new battery(ies) will be backwards compatible to your existing 20v gear.

Probably for the same reason of not wanting to buy another battery lineup. Then nice thing with Flexvolt is you can use their batteries to power up your 20v tools but not the other way around. Personally I would wait and make do with the 6-1/2 until the 20v comes out or just buy the 60v saw. It's awesome. The Dewalt 20v Circ is an awesome machine too but it might be a long wait and buying another lineup is always a pain in the butt. To be honest though, I've had the Dewalt 20v circular saw and it blew the brushed Milwaukee and Makita saws (yeah I owned those too) out of the water. I cannot speak for the brushless models but it was the bees knees for brushed saws. But if I had to guess, that's why he might not want to get the other lineup too, he's got a diaper load of 20v batteries already and doesn't want more!

• Like 1

Also to be clear, I currently own the 60v circular plus a couple of batteries. I was using the batteries a few weeks ago in my 20v hedge trimmer. Friggin awesome. And that saw is fantastic, I wish it had a rafter hook but that is easily remedied with some wood work and a zip tie if you need too.

• Like 1

ChrisK you're on point, I like the ability to use the 60v on the 20v but it's just like buying another line, I'd buy the M18 drill driver set and get the saw free with the HD deals. I have a pretty extensive lineup of 20V the only thing missing is I want to use my standard saw blades in a cordless, my 6 1/2 saw gets a lot of use but hate needing a special blade for it. Plus it's almost time to upgrade my DCS985 and DDF885. I don't want to run out of batteries and like backups and I like my M12 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At least for a professional having more than one battery platform just seems normal. You got those with their 12v and 18v. You got those with 18v/20v and flexvolt. Maybe those with their 18v/20v and ope bats. Some may even have 3 or 4 platforms.

@ChrisK I was kinda disappointed with the 20v circ saw when cutting an angle down the length of a stud. Took over two 1.5 bats and two 2.0 bats just to make 2 cuts. Maybe a 4.0 or 5.0 would've worked better. It does great on straight cuts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jronman said:

At least for a professional having more than one battery platform just seems normal. You got those with their 12v and 18v. You got those with 18v/20v and flexvolt. Maybe those with their 18v/20v and ope bats. Some may even have 3 or 4 platforms.

@ChrisK I was kinda disappointed with the 20v circ saw when cutting an angle down the length of a stud. Took over two 1.5 bats and two 2.0 bats just to make 2 cuts. Maybe a 4.0 or 5.0 would've worked better. It does great on straight cuts.

Compact batteries aren't really meant to be used on high draw tools like saws at all. Especially a brushed model. Too much draw on the battery; likely leads to safety shut off. 

20v 6.5. brushless is coming, brushless 7.25? I'd say we can keep dreaming but I wouldn't recommend holding your breath. 

• Like 1

I would rather have a 6.5 in flexvolt than in 20v. At school we had some of the legendary dewalt 7.5 circ saws and also had a couple bosch's with the smaller blades. I found the smaller saw did a better job and was easier to use when cutting angles. The power seemed good as well. Not saying much considering my angle cutting skills aren't great. I wish they were better but I guess it just takes practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

Truthfully I've never used anything

less than the 3.0s and never had an issue and then changed my batteries over to 4.0s and 5.0s. I sold my 20v saw when I got my 60v from @SevenOddosFence not out of frustration but out of the want to eventually buy then 120v miter. But using sub compacts on my saw j never experienced.

10 hours ago, Jronman said:

Yes ripping is a tough task for a cordless saw, and the slims just can't stay cool enough to avoid tool cut-out or else very fast battery draw.

Ripping 2 No. 2.7m studs (70mm  wide) is as much material as 77 cross cuts only much more blade binding, and less chip clearing ability...

I ripped very fresh wet 2"x4" when I leveled off my ceiling with my 6 1/2" fuel saw I had to do about 30 of them 12 feet long didn't have any problems you can see the ripped 2" x 4"'s in this pic...

20150427_134046.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dwain said:

Yes ripping is a tough task for a cordless saw, and the slims just can't stay cool enough to avoid tool cut-out or else very fast battery draw.

Ripping 2 No. 2.7m studs (70mm  wide) is as much material as 77 cross cuts only much more blade binding, and less chip clearing ability...

I have a DCS391 and make rips all the time, no problem.  Granted I go through about 4-6 4ah batteries a day but that's what they are for.  I don't even own a corded circ saw.

I have a DCS391 and make rips all the time, no problem.  Granted I go through about 4-6 4ah batteries a day but that's what they are for.  I don't even own a corded circ saw.

Been probably a year since I last plugged a circular saw in

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Been probably a year since I last plugged a circular saw in

This is me as well. I have the Milwaukee 2731 and it does everything I ask of it. I rip with a table saw 95 out of 100 times, but even so, my corded 6390 hasn't seen any use at all since I got the 2731. 

54 minutes ago, Cr8ondt said:

agreed, it's a great saw! But you definitely want HC batteries for ripping, as you obviously can attest to!

13 hours ago, DPSElias said:

ChrisK you're on point, I like the ability to use the 60v on the 20v but it's just like buying another line, I'd buy the M18 drill driver set and get the saw free with the HD deals. I have a pretty extensive lineup of 20V the only thing missing is I want to use my standard saw blades in a cordless, my 6 1/2 saw gets a lot of use but hate needing a special blade for it. Plus it's almost time to upgrade my DCS985 and DDF885. I don't want to run out of batteries and like backups and I like my M12 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your talk of upgrading would only reinforce the option of going with the FlexVolt, compare the DCK299D1T1 AT at $379, the DCK299M2 at $379 and the DCK299P2 at $399:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-FLEXVOLT-60-Volt-and-20-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK299D1T1/207135430

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK299M2/206875834

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK299P2/206936848

It is the same hammerdrill and impact driver with 2 Ah and FlexVolt battery, 2 4 Ah batteries and 2 5 Ah batteries and a hard case. Price wise it is competitive, not obnoxiously high, and that saw is a beast I saw it demoed on 3 sheets of OSB laminated together and it cut faster than I would ever cut with it. The DeWALT representative said it was faster than a corded saw and then said look on YouTube, I guess he wasn't lying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qjd9CSjVt0