Countersink Bits

Conductor562

Need to get a new set of Countersink bits for general purpose use. Mine are cheap and beyond their life expectancy. Been looking at a 5 piece Irwin 1877793 set in the $40 range.

IMG_6731.JPG

What are you guys using? Any suggestions?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Need to get a new set of Countersink bits for general purpose use. Mine are cheap and beyond their life expectancy. Been looking at a 5 piece Irwin 1877793 set in the $40 range.

IMG_6731.JPG

What are you guys using? Any suggestions?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/830846/SNAPPY-5PC-COUNTERSINK-SET.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA4dPCBRCM4dqhlv2R1R8SJABom9pHmI4q5Ejl47IQRGbGTbcSk11ZT5Nu9mh4-GOPpOkBUhoCzfDw_wcB

Try these Travis. Best ones out there for use in wood and USA made. I have two sets, one for Centrotec and one for standard 1/4 chucks. Absolutely awesome. I have a designated cabinet systainers and these are right at the top.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/830846/SNAPPY-5PC-COUNTERSINK-SET.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA4dPCBRCM4dqhlv2R1R8SJABom9pHmI4q5Ejl47IQRGbGTbcSk11ZT5Nu9mh4-GOPpOkBUhoCzfDw_wcB

Try these Travis. Best ones out there for use in wood and USA made. I have two sets, one for Centrotec and one for standard 1/4 chucks. Absolutely awesome. I have a designated cabinet systainers and these are right at the top.

I saw those. How do they perform in metal? 

http://www.montanabrandtools.com/

and.....try these out too. I got a set right before my son, Will was born. They came in while we're at Maine Med. they are sitting in my basement right now but USA made and very highly opined by a lot of woodworkers. There drill bits look pretty good too and very fairly priced though that Snappy set is a steal.

1 minute ago, Conductor562 said:

I saw those. How do they perform in metal? 

That's why I said wood, I have no idea bro. I'd try them in light duty metal but I have only drilled in metal a few times, most recently in the side of my last Tundra to install a headache rack.

any time I needed to countersink a screw/bolt in metal to be flush I would drill hole large enough for head and deep enough to be flush, then drill through with smaller proper size hole for screw/bolt some time this was not always possible because of thickness of metal but when it worked it worked good

To be honest, I'm a huge fan of Norseman drilling tools and all my metal drilling bits

(1/16" - 1") are Norseman Magnums. However, I just don't do enough countersinking to justify the price, plus they are kinda hard to find. I also looked at Viking (still hard to find) and the only Chicago Latrobe sets I can find are the combination type, which I do not like.

Maybe I'm just not very good at looking for them or something. 

KNOCK IT OFF........ I was just thinking I need a set of countersink bits the other day, too funny.

i can get by on the cheap. I don't use them often, just wish I had then on the few times I needed them...

Santa's sleigh is now a tractor trailer. !!!!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Irwin stuff isn't bad, I have quite a bit and it stands up well over time, I'd grab the irwins over the harbor fright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimbo, I was briefly toying with the HF idea.....

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Irwin stuff isn't bad, I have quite a bit and it stands up well over time, I'd grab the irwins over the harbor fright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a bunch of aluminum to countersink holes in and was using an Irwin counter sink. The counter sink holes were a little choppy, and one can't have that on ski's for Santa's sled.  So a coworker gave me one of the odd looking bits. They worked great and I asked where he purchased them. He laughed and said the are the best deal at HF, just save them for AL and plastic. 

IMG_4898.JPG

3 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

I had a bunch of aluminum to countersink holes in and was using an Irwin counter sink. The counter sink holes were a little choppy, and one can't have that on ski's for Santa's sled.  So a coworker gave me one of the odd looking bits. They worked great and I asked where he purchased them. He laughed and said the are the best deal at HF, just save them for AL and plastic. 

FYI: because vinegar eats aluminum it is great to use while drilling cutting or countersinking for lubricate plus it leave a real shiny finish

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Do you really need five sizes of countersink?  Having one or two really nice ones has always served me better especially in steel.

I can't honestly say I have a pressing need for a 5 piece set, nor can I say I require any particular level of quality for no more than I use them.

I suppose I'm looking for a happy medium of need and capability 

2 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I can't honestly say I have a pressing need for a 5 piece set, nor can I say I require any particular level of quality for no more than I use them.

I suppose I'm looking for a happy medium of need and capability 

Don't worry, I'm not arguing for fewer unless it's for the sake of better.  I haven't used the Irwin ones so they could be some the best for all I know.  $40 for the set though you could probably get a carbide or pair of cobalt ones.

23 hours ago, Theultimatehic said:

I have a set of Irwin countersink bits from hd. They work fine for me just have to use at low rpm to avoid the skipping so a variable speed trigger is necessary when using them. 

Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't decided what direction to go with these yet. You'd think it was a major purchase as indecisive as I'm being about it. 

I guess the tool junkie in me just enjoys the thrill of the hunt and mulling over a minor purchase for weeks ?

• Like 1