DeWalt 20V or Milwaukee M18 Cordless Miter Saw?

Surfer (aka Nalu)

Hey Crew, I'm debating as to which one I should get.

I really like the compact size and weight of the DeWalt 20v, problem is that I don't have any DeWalt 20v tools (I've given them to my brother after going red)

I already of a butt load of Milwaukee Fuel tools and batteries, so that's a plus in the Milwaukee direction.

How much bigger is the Milwaukee compared to the DeWalt?

If the size is kinda close, I think I'll stick with Milwaukee. 

I prefer the DeWalt for what I will be using it for (mainly cutting 2x4 and some trim work)

I haven't went down the Miter Saw aisle at my HD in a while. Do they have the M18 Fuel Miter over there?

61puWquACrL._SL1000_.jpg

71OJwDcesOL._SL1000_.jpg

The Milwaukee is significantly bigger and heavier than the Dewalt (around 13 lbs.).

You'll get a lot more capacity with the Milwaukee, but the Dewalt is going to be a lot more portable. We're talking about a 10" dual bevel vs a 7-14" single, they're barely even comparable aside from the cordless commonality.

It all depends on what you want to do with the saw

• Like 1

The Metabo cordless was discontinued in the USA for poor sales. A guy here ordered one from Lowes and couldn't get it fulfilled. The Milwaukee kit with the extra 9.0ah battery makes it a pretty nice deal right now, but if you want ultra portability Dewalt is the way to go

Nalu what do you need it for? Problem with the 7 1/4" some of your larger trim and base boards max out the saw, and for the fact your already invested in the fuel route to me that's the more sensible route to go, yea it's a bigger saw but more power and better blade options. Yea it's bulkier but you may need that capacity you can't get in the compact miter, just my 2 cents, if your going to go dewalt you'd be better off getting the non slider flex miter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd lean towards the Milwaukee if these are the 2 options. If you threw the Flexvolt in there instead of the 20v, then I'd probably lean DeWalt. Even if you don't think you need the extra capacity now, you most likely will at some point down the line, and I'd rather have that capacity now and not need it than not have it when I need it in the future. That, plus the fact that you're already locked in with the red, and it's nice having a bunch of tools with the same battery pack so you can mix and match when need be. 

I guess if you're going to be moving around a TON, then the lighter DeWalt could make more sense. But even then, the Milwaukee isn't THAT much heavier. It won't be as convenient, but as long as it's still manageable without putting too much stress on or hurting yourself, the extra capacity wins out for me. 

I've used the Milwaukee quite a bit recently rebuilding a wood fence, framing a couple walls, and a lot of trim work. Love the portability and power (for cordless) but the sawdust bag is almost worthless. It's nice not having to pay attention to which circuit you plug into to avoid tripping a breaker or unspooling a 50' 10ga extension cord. With a 9ah battery you can get through most projects on one battery. Glad I went with a 10", better to have and not need than to need and not have.

• Like 1

I've used the Milwaukee quite a bit recently rebuilding a wood fence, framing a couple walls, and a lot of trim work. Love the portability and power (for cordless) but the sawdust bag is almost worthless. It's nice not having to pay attention to which circuit you plug into to avoid tripping a breaker or unspooling a 50' 10ga extension cord. With a 9ah battery you can get through most projects on one battery. Glad I went with a 10", better to have and not need than to need and not have.

That's basically why I went with the Milwaukee over some of the other brands 10" saws. My garage has all of the outlets on one 20amp breaker and I didn't want to worry about tripping it every time I used the saw and vacuum at the same time.

The dust bag isn't great but surprisingly it did collect a fair bit of dust. I'm hoping once I get a miter station and dust collection set up it improves it. Though I did finally find a use for the little M18 blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3