KnarlyCarl

Ryobi battery riding lawn mower

Had seen this from an unreliable source before, but now I think we can safely say it's coming:

Just did a little poking around and can't seem to find much info, I believe that date meant to say  Spring 2017 LOL

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

So what batteries do these run on? Not tool batteries surely.

They stuck a 9 ah Milwaukee under there enough power for a small city ??

• Like 3

Not too crazy about the size at that price point, but I wonder where lawn mowers are headed.

You think cordless pressure washer would have come first.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 1:07 PM, Claeg said:

Not too crazy about the size at that price point, but I wonder where lawn mowers are headed.

You think cordless pressure washer would have come first.

There are cordless pressure washers available already

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

There are cordless pressure washers available already

Made from a lesser popular brand if I'm not mistaken... I think Dan and Eric had it on the channel

• Like 1

I like the idea, but not the price. I can get a gas powered zero-turn for less than it from Toro, or a John Deere one for a little more. A John Deere in a similar style is a grand less, so they would have to drop the price to that level for me to even consider it. Their battery powered push mowers seem reasonably priced and I'll probably look into them come Spring since my mower is on it's last leg.

I know this is an old topic, but I bought one of these mowers in August and it is well worth the price.  I had to drive 45 miles to the nearest HD that had one on the floor to see what it was all about, but compared to the other small riders, it was worth the drive.  The design and engineering is stout and it cuts as well as the 21" Honda walk behind it replaced.  Compared to my neighbor's $3,400 42" Toro Timecutter, it was a steal.  After I had properly conditioned the batteries, I can mow for almost an hour and use less than 10% of the charge.  It costs me less than $0.06 worth of electricity to recharge the pack.  The pack consists of four 12 volt 75 Ah Sealed Lead Acid/Absorbent Glass Mat batteries in series and they should last between 5 and 10 years depending on usage.  The gas/oil/filters/belts/and engine maintenance savings will pay for a total battery replacement in about 4 years.  Oh yeah, it's really quiet.  They just brought out a front mounted snow plow attachment for this mower.   I made the tail gate to haul a trash can for yard work.

RM480 Tailgate 4.JPG

RM480 Charge 2.JPG

Edited by jamis
added image
  • Like 1

That's cool! Never seen anything like it here, other than the husqvarna electric mower which looks like it has a tow pack full of batteries?

7 hours ago, method said:

That's cool! Never seen anything like it here, other than the husqvarna electric mower which looks like it has a tow pack full of batteries?

Yeah, the Husqi does tow it's battery pack behind it in an articulated design.  It's a 12 volt 100 Ah pack.  Here's where the Ryobi design comes up as an advantage.  The Husqi runs for an hour and costs about $5,000 US while the Ryobi design runs for 2 (or 2.5) hours on a charge and costs nearly half as much.  Actually the RM480 is the only electric rider on the market that sells for under $5,000 and runs for two or more hours.  The ones that do run longer are the Mean Green mowers and those have price tags way up there. 

Sorry, but I just discovered that I mis-spoke about the Husqi mower.  It,s a 36 volt 125 Ah pack and has a run time of 90 minutes.  Price is $4,000. Still a bunch more than the RM480s.  It also has a smaller deck width than the RM480.