Makita DTW285 impact wrench

Rassi

Recently bought a Makita DTW285 torque wrench with a 4 AH battery, specifically for removing wheel bolts when swapping tyres.

Using it without an extension and proper impact sockets.

The wheel bolts were tightened using a torque wrench to 120 Nm, and have been one for a season (before swapping to winter tyres).

Was very surprised to find that the Makita could not remove the wheel bolts! Using a 90 cm brace I could easily get them off manually, but the claimed 400 Nm nut bursting torque of the DTW285 should easily have dealt with correctly tightened wheel bolts?

http://www.makitauk.com/Productinfo/temp/productinfo_DTW285Z_21_12_2016_16_33_53.pdf

Now I regret not going for a much larger (and unwieldy) model, but fail to understand why the Makita is not able to do this task.

On 22/12/2016 at 8:28 PM, PNWtooljunkie said:

This model has 3 speeds to choose from (hard/med/soft). Are you sure it's on hard (highest setting)?

Yes, on setting 3, and when the lug bolts are just tightened up correctly with the torque wrench (120 Nm) it can get them off. But it could not take the bolts off after sitting on for 5 months, which kind of defeats the purpose.

• 7 months later...

I have this one, I'm very pleased with it, I am engaged in crafting for cosplay, sometimes wrench is very useful, especially when some great craft, like Nautilus armor from Bioshock or just a huge sword where you need to use a lot of bolts. But mine is already old-fashioned and I'm thinking about replacing it, considering several options, but frankly, I do not believe all these reviews, and I do not want to switch to another manufacturer when I'm used to this one already. Maybe smb uses some newer models of Makita wrenches? Would be glad to hear your advice and opinion about several good ones.

-font-b-Makita-b-font-font-b-Makita-b-font-HR162D-lightweight-Cordless-font-b.jpg

16 hours ago, Sophie said:

I have this one, I'm very pleased with it, I am engaged in crafting for cosplay, sometimes wrench is very useful, especially when some great craft, like Nautilus armor from Bioshock or just a huge sword where you need to use a lot of bolts. But mine is already old-fashioned and I'm thinking about replacing it, considering several options, but frankly, I do not believe all these reviews, and I do not want to switch to another manufacturer when I'm used to this one already. Maybe smb uses some newer models of Makita wrenches? Would be glad to hear your advice and opinion about several good ones.

-font-b-Makita-b-font-font-b-Makita-b-font-HR162D-lightweight-Cordless-font-b.jpg

If I can guide you a bit I'd suggest an Impact DRIVER and the best for small (and even big) work would be Makita's Black Impact driver..

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT15ZB

3 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

If I can guide you a bit I'd suggest an Impact DRIVER and the best for small (and even big) work would be Makita's Black Impact driver..

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT15ZB

Looks nice, I'm Leaving on festival today, so gonna check it in Shop After returning

• 2 weeks later...

I`m back) Got this one yesterday, it a bit smaller than I imagined, but it`s even better. The next cosplay in the end of September, gonna use it in crafting of this sword, which I need to the next festival) This time I would like to try to make it from wood. 

26c1f59394f1664c27928019982307a7--seraph-of-the-end-character-design.jpg