3/8 Brushless inpact gun when?

Speedybon

Just now, Stercorarius said:

Do we know if it works with the 887 yet?

My all time favorite 3/8 impact was the M12 fuel. That thing was honestly the most useful, ergonomic, and convenient tool I've ever used. It's on my list to replace right after an 899 and Metabo grinder.

I was thinking  about trying  it with my 887 wondering  the same thing  definitely  would  get more ass out of it 

JimboS1lice  do you think it would  work  with  the 887

If the anvil in the 887 is the same as the 886 then yes, you would order the knew for the whatever model the 3/8 is 883? Something like that, the part is about 25 bucks but would be worth a shot if that's all dealt is doing. An 887 can be picked up for much cheaper than their new 3/8, better yet just see if you can get an anvil from the new 890

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

The dcf890 is pretty dissapointing if you ask me.  Why have we waited so long for dewalt to release this? If all dewalt was going to do was take a 886 and do a Jimbo swap with the anvil, why not release it years ago.  If they had released it a couple years ago it may have satisfied me and many others and kept us from jumping ship to milwaukee.  But at this point it's just a so so powered impact wrench with no speed controls.  Also why is there no 1/2 compact brushless.  The 899 is too heavy and overkill for most of my work and the carriage bolts that work with every day require a 1/2 deepwell socket, a 3/8dw just isn't deep enough.  I've been hearing for years from my dewalt tool guy "oh yea brushless impact wrenches are coming." I guess at this point I was just hoping for more. Glad I'm happy with my fuel wrenches, but being a tool nut I gotta have them all.

• Like 2

for the few that were wondering if an anvil swap works on the 887, it certainly does. i was kind of hesitant on cannibalizing my old 883 just for the anvil but i was going to throw the 883 away anyways if it worked and im glad that it does. 

few things i have noticed. the original anvil on the 887 is trash. there is significant wobble on alot of them. some worse than others. before i took mine apart i put it side by side to my other that i got when it first released and my original still has less wobble than the new one that i just got. and i beat the heck out of my original.

after the anvil swap, it feels way more secure. 

another thing was is that i had to take the clam shell off 2nd time cuase the 3 speed selector was super sloppy when i put it back together the 1st time. i looked at it after taking it apart the 2nd time and noticed a clip that needs to be pushed in all the way in the handle and also making sure u do the same for the selector. make sure its put back on speed 1. 

all in all this didn't cost me very much. an older 883 that i got as a free gift from a combo deal. and a new 887 that i also just got from another combo deal. no other parts are needed other than just the anvil for those that are interested. it is just 1 extra step from jimbo's anvil swap trick which is making sure the 3 speed selector is set back to 1 and making sure the clip that moves side to side is also depressed all the way back so the clam shell can be fully seated back. 

i get to have a pretty much same performance as the new brushless model that is coming out + 3 speeds but totally worthless almost on a wrench but for way cheaper. only time will tell if it will hold up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just use my 1/4 hex impacts with the squaredrive bits the makita gold 3/8 is my favorite or my industrial Apex bits they are rock solid but have the pin lock detects instead of ball and you have to use a pocket screwdriver to get them off. Also use my matco 1/2 with a reducer. I have a Hilti and makita impact driver I thought they already make the 3/8 I got the Lee's tool app for makita and I thought I saw them. I also like to use my 7.2v snap on screw guns and 1/4 impact they are about the size of a small pistol like a 9mm and are light weight and strong.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I was watching a youtube video and a guy was comparing a dcf890 to a dcf887.  The guy claims the 887 with a 3/8" adaptor kills the 890 which got me thinking and brought me back to this topic.  You can pick up a 887 on ebay for $80 and a 3/8" anvil for $30 so you can do an anvil swap for pretty cheap.  My one concern is anytime I've put a socket adaptor on a impact driver and use it with medium sized bolts I never like the sounds that come from inside.  Its like you get a strange poping noise different than just the anvil impacting.  I don't really know what these sounds are because anytime I've ever had a impact driver or impact wrench apart the internals seem to be almost identical.  

I guess my question is to anyone that's done one of these anvil swap modifications.  How have they held up overtime?  Another question is does anyone know if the internals in a compact impact wrench are somehow built heavier than an impact driver, besides the obvious of different gearing or different size motor.  

• 4 weeks later...

Well I cheaped out and just took an old 886 to do the 3/8" anvil swap.  So far so good, did a little testing with a 1/2" bolt, washer, lock washer, and nut set up.  I compared it with a dcf880, dcf887 with 1/4" to 3/8" adapter and a fuel 2654.  On a 1/2" bolt (3/4" socket) there was no real noticeable difference between any of them.  None of them could tighten the bolt to the point where another couldn't take it off.  

20180120_144722.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...