WEN 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press

jtkendall

Anyone have any experience with the WEN 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press (http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-8-in-5-Speed-Drill-Press-4208/204853910) or WEN products in general? I don't currently see a need for anything larger than this bench top model and 2" of spindle travel should be plenty for the kind of projects I want to build. It looks pretty straight forward and is only $72 which fits in my budget nicely.

For $72 you can't really go wrong. When buying entry level imported machines, I tend to go with the company I have the most faith in so that when issues arise, I know I can get parts and assistance.

Wen has been around a very long time. I have to believe that isn't because they've made a habit of jacking people around. 

• Like 2

I have the 12" and @Foneguy has the 10", we both are big fans of the Wen drill press. I haven't seen the 8" so I cannot comment on it specifically. Check these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wen+8+inch+drill+press

I imagine the 8" can't be much different if at all quality wise compared to the larger versions. I had never heard of Wen before spotting them on Home Depot, but that's likely a case of me just browsing for specific brands. I saw some reviews on Wen products about damage, but it looks like all of them occurred during shipping so if I buy in store or inspect the package carefully before accepting delivery I should be able to reduce the chance of receiving a damaged unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

For $72 you can't really go wrong. When buying entry level imported machines, I tend to go with the company I have the most faith in so that when issues arise, I know I can get parts and assistance.

Wen has been around a very long time. I have to believe that isn't because they've made a habit of jacking people around. 

That's very true, if it lasts a year it'll have paid for itself in time saved. I didn't realize how long Wen had been around until today, so that's reassuring. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like @BMack37 said.... I really like mine, it's holding up well. That's 2 thumbs up for two different models....

go ahead and make it a tri-fecta, you won't be sorry. The price makes it a no brained, especially if the size works for you !! Good luck 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, Jscott said:

This is a old thread but I have the 8 in wen drill press and I have been impressed it hasn't let me down yet. I built a table for it with rockler t track on it and its great

So it looks like regardless of what size I get Wen will do the job. The 8 inch is probably enough for my every day use since I don't need a ton of travel. Thanks for reviving this thread because I had completely forgotten about the Wen drill press, I need to write it down so I don't forget it again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 11:27 PM, jtkendall said:

Anyone have any experience with the WEN 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press (http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-8-in-5-Speed-Drill-Press-4208/204853910) or WEN products in general? I don't currently see a need for anything larger than this bench top model and 2" of spindle travel should be plenty for the kind of projects I want to build. It looks pretty straight forward and is only $72 which fits in my budget nicely.

I've got the WEN oscillating spindle sander. It's awesome. I remember wen it came to my shop....and for what a price! Wen I told my Wife she was amazed. Wen I put it in the shop and started using it....well....remember wen you first kissed a girl? It was like that.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Huh! See what I did there?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

And truthfully  my WEN sander is really an awesome tool. Love it.

I've been looking for a sander, Wen i started looking I focused on grizzly, Wen I realized I should keep looking. Good to know that Wen is an option. Wen I need more info, I will seek help....

• Like 1

Wen has a great beginning they were the first to get the ROS Random orbital sanding technology to mainstream, along with big help with soldering guns, chainsaws, jig saw and engravers 

• Like 1

Interesting... I am very pleased with my small bandsaw and small drill press. I will definitely keep Wen on my radar WENever I am looking for anything I the future 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Reviving this post because the drill press arrived today. I haven’t had a chance to unbox it, but it’s a little smaller than I expected based on the box. It’s the perfect size for what I currently need but if or wen I need something bigger I’m probably going with a floor standing model.

I have to build a work bench and then it and the ryobi band saw are going to share the bottom shelf so I can access them wen needed and not dedicate a table to each.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1