What do you arc weld with?

at this time I am no longer arc welding,  any welding is mig for home here and there just a small buzz box. years ago and over the years I ran all kinds of diesels all kinds of brands 

• Like 1

We have two Tweco Fabricator 3-in-1 at work, don't know the model number, I think they're the 141i model. They suck, but if you get them dialed in right they aren't bad. Gotta have a pretty good ground (connection, whatever they call it these days) or they won't weld worth a shit. Was doing some welding on the plow at work and once I got the welder dialed in it did pretty good, welds weren't picture-perfect but I managed to get some pretty good beads for a while. Even after grinding off paint and making sure I had a good ground it was still a bear sometimes getting the thing to get going.

Haven't tried line feed with them yet, we have another cheap piece of shit that we were using for line. That poor thing couldn't weld a bead to save its own life. You could sure tack all day long with it, but as soon as you tried to draw a bead it would work like cheap labor in the hot sun. Finally decided to hide it under a bench and swap in one of the Tweco in its place.

• Like 1

Untill recently I personally owned a Miller trailblazer 325 diesel. Great smaller machine but ruined in a car accident. Still have the feeders, Leads, remote, an other accessories. 

I could go out an replace it today but wana get a vantage 400. 

At work I run just about anything red or blue. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Unimig Arc 170 DC inverter welder. I was given it as a Christmas gift. It's great. Nice welds and a very compact unit.

I only started welding a year ago and first borrowed an old welder from my brother in law (hard to weld decent with).

I used to watch my granddad welding and I was always in awe. Since then it's always something I've wanted to do. Now I'm mid 30's and finally doing it. 

Until today I've always used a flip down welding helmet. Now I have an automatic helmet, and what a difference they make! I can now tac weld with confidence. 

Anyway, I've said too much. Welding is probably my favourite thing to do with tools. Such a great skill to have (or try to have). 

images-10.jpg