Vacuum hose splitter

JimboS1ice

So I'm looking for a way to have 1 hose cover both ports on my rikon bench sander, it's a pain switching the hose to go from belt to disc. So I'd like a t adapter to run hose to each port then into my main vacuum line.

Each port is a 1 7/8" and so is the main hose line, only problem is I can't find any t adapters. Hose size doesn't matter I figured maybe stepping down to a 1 1/4"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, funny, funny. I was just looking at splitters today for the miter saw. Want to try and make a second port to run on the side of the blade, that saw puts out a lot of dust. I just did a Google search this morning and came up with a bunch of stuff, but haven't figured out yet what I want to do. Still in the "Let's see if this works" phase of things.

• Like 1

Funny, funny, funny. I was just looking at splitters today for the miter saw. Want to try and make a second port to run on the side of the blade, that saw puts out a lot of dust. I just did a Google search this morning and came up with a bunch of stuff, but haven't figured out yet what I want to do. Still in the "Let's see if this works" phase of things.

Only decent one I've found is at rockier, but it's a 4" that splits to 2 2 1/2" which requires a lot of adapters on my part...

3 minutes ago, Kato said:

What about PVC, you might be able to find a "T" fitting in PVC that might work

What about buying a length on hose that is a little larger then both the t-fitting and the vacuum port and using hose clamps to hold everything together? Won't necessarily be pretty but it should work...if you know what I am talking about. 

• Like 1

What about PVC, you might be able to find a "T" fitting in PVC that might work

What about buying a length on hose that is a little larger then both the t-fitting and the vacuum port and using hose clamps to hold everything together? Won't necessarily be pretty but it should work...if you know what I am talking about. 

Yea hacking together may be last resort, was hoping for a Hail Mary link ha ha

1 minute ago, JimboS1ice said:

Fairly small really, right now it's homeless, probably 10-12" deep by 18-20" wide by maybe 14-16" tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok thanks. looks like you need to build a flip top table ;) I could put that and a grinder on the other side of mine.

• Like 1

You could use a 26" tool box bottom, you could even plumb the hoses through and hide the hoses and power while only losing the top drawer. Then it's even mobile. I did my setup by making a wood top, then mounting the press and soon the grinder to it. You can always use more drawers.

You could use a 26" tool box bottom, you could even plumb the hoses through and hide the hoses and power while only losing the top drawer. Then it's even mobile. I did my setup by making a wood top, then mounting the press and soon the grinder to it. You can always use more drawers.

Yea I have no clue yet it all depends on the house we buy moving in a few months

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea I have no clue yet it all depends on the house we buy moving in a few months

It's too bad you're up there, I'm about ready to start cleaning up my maple top tables and selling them and I have six! I'm keeping two thus far but man, they are nice...I wish I had more room.

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Keep in mind, you should use a "Y" as opposed to hard 90°. It will improve airflow quite a bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1032e8bfabfa65cce1ee00f575a6499f.jpg

You're right but I don't think it would be a problem in this application. The dust will be small and relatively minimal. The hose length is the biggest worry here, too long and it would be like trying to use a garden hose for a snorkel. If he had issues, first thing I'd do is shorten the hose, second is replace the y pipe.

Ideally, figure out the mounting, put the Y joint close-ish to the collection, so it joins on the way down(so gravity helps) then the vacuum hose as short as possible...but that's probably waaay overkill.

No loss of power, it helps having a RIDGID beast shop vac, should have done a y, but I also have short smaller diameter lengths with the split which helps, if I would have kept a larger diameter hose it would have bee a different story

8 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Yeah, a shop vac is overkill for this application...but I'm doing the same thing with my ROS, which is even more overkill...I'm not going to use my indoor Bissel for a ROS.

I have a muffler on the out port and not only does it help with the noise, it tames it a little for use with sanders, but honestly with the dust spray of the bench sander, I'd want something on the more powerful side as opposed to the other

• Like 1