Milwaukee Tick

jtkendall

Milwaukee is apparently launching a One-Key tracker called "The Tick" that can be attached to tools and trailers. It's range and requirements are still the same as standard One-Key tools, meaning if there is no one using One-Key in your area you're SOL and even if there are some users your chances of finding it still require them having the app running when their near your tools.

It comes in single units, 4 packs, 10 packs, and 50 packs.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 11.17.04 AM.png

• Like 2

Yeah fuck that. Well maybe it generates a ton more users and forces them to make some software revisions so it is actually viable. More likely tool thieves get to have the fun of smashing them with the hammer they just stole from you. It would be a pretty cool marketing stunt if Milwaukee put up several "pingers" where there is a large amount of their Target demographic that just constantly ran the software and Bluetooth.

I work for a landscape company that puts 20-25 trucks on the road Monday-Friday, so I wonder if all our crews were running the app, if that would provide a decent enough "net" around town that if a tool was taken off a truck, it might ping one of the apps around town and help us find it. We lose blowers and weedeaters about every 2-3 weeks. It's pretty sad. Finding 2 of them would pay for a 50 pack.

• Like 2

Just now, Daniel Julian said:

I work for a landscape company that puts 20-25 trucks on the road Monday-Friday, so I wonder if all our crews were running the app, if that would provide a decent enough "net" around town that if a tool was taken off a truck, it might ping one of the apps around town and help us find it. We lose blowers and weedeaters about every 2-3 weeks. It's pretty sad. Finding 2 of them would pay for a 50 pack.

Now if we could get all the postal employees, LEOs, and ups drivers on board in the states of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho that would be great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah fuck that. Well maybe it generates a ton more users and forces them to make some software revisions so it is actually viable. More likely tool thieves get to have the fun of smashing them with the hammer they just stole from you. It would be a pretty cool marketing stunt if Milwaukee put up several "pingers" where there is a large amount of their Target demographic that just constantly ran the software and Bluetooth.

Cities should invest in this tech and then sell space on the "pinger" to companies like Milwaukee to be able to add their app to it. If all cities had this along major highways, it could be a great tool! Or Pawn shops employees should be asked to have these on a ipad that stays in their store, etc... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel Julian said:

Cities should invest in this tech and then sell space on the "pinger" to companies like Milwaukee to be able to add their app to it. If all cities had this along major highways, it could be a great tool! Or Pawn shops employees should be asked to have these on a ipad that stays in their store, etc... 

It would be sweet if cities got workers on board who cover just about every residence like; postal workers, meter readers, Street sweepers, etc.

I commented on Kruger's Instagram post about it that if they just increase the price slightly I'm sure they could include a wifi chip that can automatically connect to public wifi and update locations. That would require more investment into updating the One-Key software but it would basically make the range unlimited.

My laptop and iPhone both update iCloud on a regular basis through wifi and cellular networks, the laptop also has Prey installed and a guest account specifically to ensure anyone who steals it has a means to use the internet and give away where it is.

• Like 1

I feel like Tile and Milwaukee should partner for cross compatibility and partner up with another business like UPS and the postal service. It would suck for the delivery guys though. Imagine walking up to the door or driving through a neighborhood and your phone buzzes and says, "238 devices that we reported missing in your immediate location"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stercorarius said:

I feel like Tile and Milwaukee should partner for cross compatibility and partner up with another business like UPS and the postal service. It would suck for the delivery guys though. Imagine walking up to the door or driving through a neighborhood and your phone buzzes and says, "238 devices that we reported missing in your immediate location"

Hahahaha.... Heck, just have police install it.

• Like 1

It would be sweet if cities got workers on board who cover just about every residence like; postal workers, meter readers, Street sweepers, etc.

The problem is the cost. The companies would have to pay for a phone or tablet for each employee and then the employee would have to turn on the app and leave it on. I don't see the post office ever implementing it but landscape companies or similar companies with a lot of crews on the road would work. Government services, especially local, don't have the funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

The problem is the cost. The companies would have to pay for a phone or tablet for each employee and then the employee would have to turn on the app and leave it on. I don't see the post office ever implementing it but landscape companies or similar companies with a lot of crews on the road would work. Government services, especially local, don't have the funds.

Okay, just inform them about it and they can voluntarily opt in and install it on their personal phones if it sounds good to them. Even one postal worker in my home town would probably find most of the tools especially if it was the postman for a certain neighborhood. The police would also be a good idea. Hell those guys already have thirty computers in their rigs. They couldn't be bothered to do that much work though. The sheriff's Dept's policy for theft here is to show up, roll down the window, yell sucks to be you and leave.

postmen are on the outs, not going to be long everything is digital My aunt rose is 93 I think she is the only one I know that still writes hand written letters, won't be long for her to get a computer and email or croak....

8 hours ago, justinkendall said:

But it said the app doesn't need to be running, just installed on the device is all.

Still it comes back to the real world function that failed @Stercorarius and that definitely left a bitter spot. I hope the story isn't over yet, hopefully one day the impact will be located when someone downloads the app to use it with the impact....  

It comes back to the same thing we've known about the tracking capabilities on the onekey tools, it's only as good as the coverage of the Onekey app, which is a drop in the bucket...

7 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

But it said the app doesn't need to be running, just installed on the device is all.

Still it comes back to the real world function that failed @Stercorarius and that definitely left a bitter spot. I hope the story isn't over yet, hopefully one day the impact will be located when someone downloads the app to use it with the impact....  

It comes back to the same thing we've known about the tracking capabilities on the onekey tools, it's only as good as the coverage of the Onekey app, which is a drop in the bucket...

Bluetooth and GPS/location services have to be on though. When I reported my impact missing last week to test whether you needed GPS on or the app open Josh had to turn on GPS and open the app before I got a notification saying it had been found. It couldn't find my impact without the app on even though Josh was within 30' of it.

• Like 2

Some inconsistencies here though:

Products with a TICK™ attached are paired via the ONE-KEY™ app. Tool records and locations are updated when any device with the ONE-KEY™ app comes within 100 feet of the TICK™. These location updates are transmitted through any ONE-KEY™ app that’s in-range, regardless of whether the app is open or not, allowing users to pinpoint missing tools more quickly.

Maybe the tick and the tools are a little different in that regards...

3 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Some inconsistencies here though:

Maybe the tick and the tools are a little different in that regards...

Hmm, if it works without the app needing to be running great. Maybe Milwaukee has an update for the app coming out soon that makes it work without the app being on, which would be so much more useful.

Actually it looks like maybe it does work without the app open. It mentions that the app may use location services even when the app isn't open. Maybe it detected my impact when Josh gave the app permission to use location services but it took a minute or two to actually send me the message in which time he opened the app.

Milwaukee really just needs to reach out to hardware suppliers and large GCs though to kickstart their app coverage. Site super in large sites has the app: more coverage. Local lumber yards etc have the app; more coverage. They should be able to leverage their relationship with HD to turn those into no fly zones for thieves too. They need to worry about getting trackers at the ant hills before they worry about all of us ants. 

• Like 1