Harbor freight compares their generator to a honda

CATERPILLAR

4 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Snobs ?? lol look at your comment this post was nothing about that it was about my opinion and the honda will be the wise choice in the long run less down time no doubt it will last longer 

Well it was not directed at you.Bremons comments were what rattled my cage.But I will say sorry to both you and Bremon.I am satisfied with my junk Harbor Freight Generator and feel I did get a bargain Stupid me.When ever I bring it out to use it I will be sure to put a bag over my head in shame.Just kidding 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jdlx277 said:

Well it was not directed at you.Bremons comments were what rattled my cage.But I will say sorry to both you and Bremon.I am satisfied with my junk Harbor Freight Generator and feel I did get a bargain Stupid me.When ever I bring it out to use it I will be sure to put a bag over my head in shame.Just kidding 

The thing about tools, specifically the high-cost and the low-cost tools is that there are some people that are going to disagree with the cost/benefit. A lot of it has to do with trust in a brand or lack thereof. I don't see eye-to-eye with one person on this forum over a specific kind of tool, we use the tools wildly different and dependency on that tool varies. We'll never agree with each other but it's not worth fighting or arguing about. 

• Like 1

lol @jdlx277, I didn't mean to rattle any cages, and I can see how what I wrote initially could come across as elitist and inflammatory. It was an offhand remark that wasn't directed at anyone here in particular. I'm pretty blue collar and I just can't stand the throw-away culture that tends to accompany buying inexpensive goods.

I can understand you wanting to have multiple gensets when you're managing a business that is spread across a wide area with capital invested in different yard sites etc. Having only one generator doesn't make for much flexibility when the crap hits the fan. I can also appreciate you putting your money where your priorities are: high use items are higher quality items.

That said, I still prefer to own less and have what I own be higher quality. I have a fairly communal attitude towards ownership and don't mind lending things I own to close friends and family, and friends and family are the same way towards me. I've yet to be burned getting back something broken or damaged, or not getting something back at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

The thing about tools, specifically the high-cost and the low-cost tools is that there are some people that are going to disagree with the cost/benefit. A lot of it has to do with trust in a brand or lack thereof. I don't see eye-to-eye with one person on this forum over a specific kind of tool, we use the tools wildly different and dependency on that tool varies. We'll never agree with each other but it's not worth fighting or arguing about. 

To expand on this; I don't intend to insult people on this forum. I come here for the same reasons I'm sure many others do; I'm enthusiastic about tools and projects, and I'm interested in hearing others' opinions on different tools/different ways of doing things. Discussion can get a bit passionate sometimes but I certainly don't harbour any ill will towards anyone, so I do apologize for slighting you @jdlx277.

• Like 2

Let's remember the context of the OP. This article was about HF being as good as Honda. I think we can all agree that they are not.

For me personally, I occasionally buy cheap under certain conditions. I have an acquaintance that owns a tire/service center. He supplies his guys tools and buys HF exclusively. He'll be the first one to tell you they aren't the same level of quality as some tools, but tools in his shop are pretty much neglected and the cheap ones don't have near the tendency to walk off. 

Cheap tools have their place. All depends on the circumstances. 

• Like 1

Yeah I can attest to that. I've been in charge of well over a dozen guys and have heard every excuse under the sun for reasons why they forgot a tool on a site somewhere. Ownership then decides that those people don't get quality tools anymore.

When you work for yourself and see other people using their own tools on job sites you don't tend to see cheap tools at all; you see a lot of people making an honest living depending on quality tools they've spent good money on. 

• Like 1

If I was going to use the HF generator to run tools all day example air compressor for air tools.I then would have went with the Honda.But for very light duty tasks I think I will be OK.Its all in how well you take care of it.If you never change the oil or keep fresh gas in it or let it sit out.They would both fail before there time.

But I can see if its used for a business day in and day out.Yes the Honda would be the only way to go.It would be like me buying a Sears Craftman gas string trimmer rather then a Stihl pro series string trimmer or a MTD lawn and garden tractor rather then a John Deere X700 series lawn and garden tractor.

• Like 1

I have been on both sides of the fence when it comes to HF tools. I am a Remodel contractor with very infrequent need for a small combi-hammer. Major foundation work I sub out, so really just need it to place a few drop ins or minor chipping. About 8 years ago I picked up a small HF combi for $20.00 with a coupon. It put a smile on my face every time I used it, I mean $20.00 vs. $250.00 whats not to like. Not the prettiest tool but it served me well.

Last year I upgraded to a Bosch unit. This one puts a smile on my face also. I mean quality is addictive, right. Fit and finish are top notch, less vibration and of course internal build quality is much improved. So pride of ownership is key here but if I had to use it every day it would be the only choice. Like I said been on both sides of the fence, which side you should be on depends on your situation.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...