For those running the Surge impact?

SetBuilder

What are your thoughts on the settings? The first setting is so slow it is pretty much useless and the self tapper mode sucks. I was putting together aluminum frame store windows and the screw would start well but the speed would slow down so much it wouldn't even drive a 1in self tapper into aluminum.

The love the gun on settings 2 and 3 but the rest are pretty useless.

• Like 2

Interesting. Good to know guys, I quite like the self-tap mode on my 2753. Might have to keep it around even if (when?) I get a Surge lol. Speed two on the 2753 is generally my favorite too, seems a common theme. Speed 3 is basically for deck building. Gets a bit out of control otherwise. 

• Like 1

Interesting. Good to know guys, I quite like the self-tap mode on my 2753. Might have to keep it around even if (when?) I get a Surge lol. Speed two on the 2753 is generally my favorite too, seems a common theme. Speed 3 is basically for deck building. Gets a bit out of control otherwise. 

I just started really using my 2757 this week, since I didn't have any 2.0 slim packs until now! I really like it, though I haven't had a chance to dial in the one-key profiles. Mainly been using it for 1 1/4" drywall screws, and 3" t-25's for blocking. I still want to get the surge, but that's a bit disappointing to hear about the self tap mode. Makes sense I guess that it was designed with HVAC work in mind. Not that they don't use bigger fasteners, but shorter ones are common for duct and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 2753 and working with 14ga-18ga steel I find that the self tapping mode with a #10 screw wants to slow down and impact before it drills through the material.  When I first got it I thought there was something wrong but after reading more it must be for really light material. Being that there are so many different applications its hard to please everyone with just 4 modes which is where one key comes into play but I don't really buy into the software side of that yet.

21 hours ago, Biggie said:

I have a 2753 and working with 14ga-18ga steel I find that the self tapping mode with a #10 screw wants to slow down and impact before it drills through the material.  When I first got it I thought there was something wrong but after reading more it must be for really light material. Being that there are so many different applications its hard to please everyone with just 4 modes which is where one key comes into play but I don't really buy into the software side of that yet.

The self tap mode only really works for a small window of fasteners and metal thicknesses on the surge. You can set the metal gauge, screw size, length, etc in the one key settings for your specific tasks and it will alter the default self tap mode to any variety of tasks. One day i was running all 1/4" self tapping screws through maybe 3/16" metal and i can set my software in the morning and let the tool do the work the rest of the day..

Guess what, i still grabbed my surge instead LOL

• Like 4

I gue

On 1/13/2017 at 4:06 AM, AnonymousJoe said:

Same here I only use setting 1 on cabinets.  I've learned the self tapper mode works best with short screws, if ur using it on long screws it can be painfully slow. It's actually a really great setting but I think it's more for thin sheet metal

I guess that makes sense. I finally looked at the instructions and the self tapper mode is for 20-28 gauge sheet metal. A lot of the stuff I use self tappers on is 14 gauge.

I handed it to a guy at work who runs all Dewalt to put a few screws in with it the other day. A few minutes later he comes up to me asking for the model number and ordered one.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2017 at 0:42 AM, SetBuilder said:

I gue

I guess that makes sense. I finally looked at the instructions and the self tapper mode is for 20-28 gauge sheet metal. A lot of the stuff I use self tappers on is 14 gauge.

I handed it to a guy at work who runs all Dewalt to put a few screws in with it the other day. A few minutes later he comes up to me asking for the model number and ordered one.

Which makes me wonder if dewalt has plans for one or not... I really don't see myself using a conventional impact much anymore, it's that nice

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Which makes me wonder if dewalt has plans for one or not... I really don't see myself using a conventional impact much anymore, it's that nice

They say they have no plans for one but I could see them rushing one out if the surge sells well. 

5 hours ago, StrippedScrew said:

In terms of noise how is it to a normal impact?

Amazing difference it seems faster less vibration to, you hear the bearing's louder than the Impacts per second it's awesome My favorite tool I have ever bought. So far it hasn't failed any task I have given it and I have driven some pretty big lags with it it's pretty powerful  for what the numbers give.

SURGE%20Inline%20Content%20updated.jpg

What they claim is true!

14 minutes ago, StrippedScrew said:

That is freaking sweet! I love impacts but when doing jobs in tight spaces or peoples home its a real pain this seems perfect. Wish dewalt had one one the market as iv invested in their system.

Yeah, i never realized how sweet these were! Although it sounds like Ridgid's leave something to be desired, and Ryobi's is a monster, I might have considered going Makita's route if I knew how awesome they were when it came out then. As it is, Milwaukee is a marketing machine and will make sure anyone even living under a rock knows about their products.....

I guess a drill will have to do meanwhile for ya!

2 hours ago, Bmill25 said:

I'm considering getting one of these. How well would these drive 3 inch tapcons. That's probably the most extreme thing I would use it for. 

It should handle this very well with no problem.

• Like 1

Today was the first task my surge could not handle. Someone tightened on the crows feet on the steel decks with either a dewalt or a makita and the Surge could not loosen it. Its basically a 1/2in bolt with a 15/16 nut. My other Fuel 1/4 impact loosened it, with no problem.

IMG_5095.JPG

• Like 1