UWO vs in/lbs

Jronman

Would anyone like to explain what unit watts out is and what in/lbs is. Why does SB&D use UWO on their drills instead of in/lbs like other companies. Are there any key differences, advantages, disadvantages to using UWO? Should other companies switch there drills to UWO or stay with in/lbs?

in-lb is the torque, typically hard torque which is how tight it's going to get something like a bottomed out bolt.  Soft torque is rarely specified but that's how hard it can realistically push while driving in something like a lag.

UWO stands for unit watts out which is the power.  That'll approximate how fast the tool will run when bogging down at a given torque.

Dewalts round about way of making up stats so they sound fancy and can't compare to other companies, I remember at one point there is only a loosely mathematic something or other to convert to in lb of torque, maybe it's theoretical power some over paid engineer came up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWO is just the power generated (in watts) when the drill or whatever is going full tilt. Torque is a measure of the drills ability to turn an object, like a screw.

Using similar units, UWO is in Nm/s (Newton-metres per second) and torque is in Nm (Newton-metres). The reasoning from Dewalt is that looking at torque over time gives a more accurate description of a drill's potential than peak torque (which is, I think, what most torque listings tend to be; thank you Surge marketing materials).

This reasoning makes sense to me because you run a drill over a period of time rather than for an instant. Any engineers on the board might have a more informed opinion than I do about this.

• Like 2

UWO is a unit of measurement used if one manufacture cannot beat another manufactures in*lbs rating;D

Kidding, jkeating3's response seems reasonable to me.

52 minutes ago, jkeating3 said:

UWO is just the power generated (in watts) when the drill or whatever is going full tilt. Torque is a measure of the drills ability to turn an object, like a screw.

Using similar units, UWO is in Nm/s (Newton-metres per second) and torque is in Nm (Newton-metres). The reasoning from Dewalt is that looking at torque over time gives a more accurate description of a drill's potential than peak torque (which is, I think, what most torque listings tend to be; thank you Surge marketing materials).

This reasoning makes sense to me because you run a drill over a period of time rather than for an instant. Any engineers on the board might have a more informed opinion than I do about this.

• 5 years later...

They just don’t want you to compare their product with another that’s what it comes down to.  so you have a hard time trying to figure out what the differences are. plain and simple. They can’t just come out with the same standards as everybody else. To me it’s like they’re trying to hide something.