Which mitre saw to get??

jackfinzo

7 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

So he got rid of a Kapex to replace it with a Bosch? Sounds like he will push whatever a sponsor sends him. If all he is doing is straight cuts he may as well use an old radial arm saw. 

he has a makita miter saw now

6 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I dont know his motivation but if you watch his videos he downsizes on occasion.  He had a super nice powermatic bandsaw and sold it and downsized to one with almost the same capability with smaller footprint.  Now the footprint difference was not enough to justify the change so I dont know the actual reason. He said he had a Makita on the floor too. I am sure all of its has been sent to him.

This is his business so you can bet there is going to be an plug here or there for monetary reasons.

That was not the best review in my opinion since he just makes straight cuts but it did show the dust collection differences and I agree the Festool clamp is nice.

Anyone that owns a Kapex pretty much has the same opinion which is probably its the best you can buy but not worth the money.

My 3HP Grizzly cabinet saw cost about the same money as my Kapex. Makes no sense.

anything he gets for review or a plug he specifically says so. So of the stuff he gets is just to get. No company promotion involved. I dont mind that he is venturing away from festool and powermatic.

6 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Buy a Felder table saw and you Kapex will feel like a bargain :)

LOL, I have no place to put on of those bad boys. But would be nice !

Can always dream. Might as well dream for one with the miter side arm thing too.

11 hours ago, Jronman said:

anything he gets for review or a plug he specifically says so. So of the stuff he gets is just to get. No company promotion involved. I dont mind that he is venturing away from festool and powermatic.

He is staying with Powermatic, Festool backed out of sponsorship for whatever reason. And yeah, Marc is very clear about his sponsors. Which is great, he doesn't really endorse to many tools. I have been a guild member for a while and he does not cloud his projects with endorsement stuff at all, just the work itself. He did some public videos for Honda recently in which he blatantly was using the Ridgeline in each of the videos but those were not part of the paying guild projects which is really a testament to his business practices. I would add too that he was really professional about Festool taking off and he decidedly kept several tools while downsizing others like the Kapex. I believe he still owns it but he is checking out other sponsors products and fielding them. He did quite a bit of work with the Bosch and now he's introducing the Makita which I am looking forward too because it is a great saw too. I cannot wait to get his opinions on the Flexvolt stuff, I really like my circular but am interested in the miter.

56 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

He is staying with Powermatic, Festool backed out of sponsorship for whatever reason. And yeah, Marc is very clear about his sponsors. Which is great, he doesn't really endorse to many tools. I have been a guild member for a while and he does not cloud his projects with endorsement stuff at all, just the work itself. He did some public videos for Honda recently in which he blatantly was using the Ridgeline in each of the videos but those were not part of the paying guild projects which is really a testament to his business practices. I would add too that he was really professional about Festool taking off and he decidedly kept several tools while downsizing others like the Kapex. I believe he still owns it but he is checking out other sponsors products and fielding them. He did quite a bit of work with the Bosch and now he's introducing the Makita which I am looking forward too because it is a great saw too. I cannot wait to get his opinions on the Flexvolt stuff, I really like my circular but am interested in the miter.

didn't he use the flexvolt with the ridgeline projects? I thought I remember him saying he thought the flexvolt tools were ok but wouldn't use them because its cordless and not as practical in a shop setting than a jobsite. He is fairly unbiased too.

41 minutes ago, Jronman said:

didn't he use the flexvolt with the ridgeline projects? I thought I remember him saying he thought the flexvolt tools were ok but wouldn't use them because its cordless and not as practical in a shop setting than a jobsite. He is fairly unbiased too.

Nah, he just got them when he moved into his new home in Colarado. He was using simple homeowner tools for those projects! He got the Flexvolt tools in just before he starting getting his D.C. and Powermatic tools in place. 

42 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Nah, he just got them when he moved into his new home in Colarado. He was using simple homeowner tools for those projects! He got the Flexvolt tools in just before he starting getting his D.C. and Powermatic tools in place. 

well in one of his friday live video he talked a bit about his thoughts on them.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Back to the OP....

one thing that that keeps me from getting a Kapex is that here, the cost is something like 225% of the Bosch. But the cost difference there is apparently much less. If you can swing it, that’s the way I’d go. 

Once i I get all the detritus from moving out of my garage/shop, I will be looking at the Bosch, though. I fairly frequently get e-mails from a local shop that will run them for around $550 vs. $1475 for the Festool....

What also scares me about the Kapex is I often see forum threads and FB posts about their motors burning up. Which then leads to long discussions about extension cord length and gauge, was it plugged into a dust extractor or not, how many amps was the breaker rated for etc.

Other people chime in and say they have been running them for 10 years with no issues, but something seems odd that there are so many threads about motors burning up.

• Like 1

If/when my Kapex dies again I am looking hard at the new Makita. Seems like a nice saw and is getting decent feedback so far. Also saw Hitachi has a new rail forward 10" coming out if you want to save some coin.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If/when my Kapex dies again I am looking hard at the new Makita. Seems like a nice saw and is getting decent feedback so far. Also saw Hitachi has a new rail forward 10" coming out if you want to save some coin.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How could I forget the new makita!! Definitely a sexy Saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I do notice, from what Festool stuff I got, that they can get hot to the touch. Brushless may help some but mine aren't brushless.

Hitachi is coming out with a new miter. Might be worth checking out.

If you want best of the best might as well skip a miter saw and get a sliding table saw haha. Felder, Martin, and Oliver are some well known brands that make them.