Hi my name is Rich and I might be a Lie Nielsen Addict

rrmccabe

My intent was to buy ONE nice bench plane. Settled on a #62 jack plane as I thought that would be a good all around plane.

It worked fantastic and in conjunction with a shooting board the low angle blade allowed me to trim end grain in a way I did not realize was possible.

That led to a block plane and a rabbiting block plane and a router plane (on back order) and finally a scraping plane which showed up today.

Very cool American company in Maine.  Below is a Youtube tour which is pretty cool to watch.

Love Hybrid Woodworking !

20170131_124920.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, tugnut1 said:

I did not know that you had so many planes.  These must be fairly recent purchases.  

I still have not used any planes.  I need to buy a book, "Planes for dummies" in the near future.

John,  all recent. Did not have anything except a small stanley block plane when you and I were working together.

The book you want to buy is Marc's Hybrid woodworking book. 

But watch a few videos on shooting boards and see what you think.  I just built Cindy that little box and it allowed me to do stuff that would be impossible with power tools and much faster.

Love something he said in the book (or maybe a video) about having high tech power tools that you can adjust down to .001" +/- 1/8th.

I have no intention of becoming a hand tool guy. The power tools save your back and get it close.

I agree and speaking of that, I was watching their open house video last week and there was a guy there showing  his hand made flat blade marking gauges which he makes in Arkansas.

I am trying to use marking gauges more instead of rulers and tapes. Because of accuracy and also using one to slice end grain fibers to prevent tear-out.

It showed up today. What a nice piece!

This is what it looks like.

Cherry_4_inch__20814.1474512769.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Ice Rich. If I remember I'll try to post a few pics of my Lie Nielsen tools as well as my Veritas tools. Once you go to that dark place.....well....it's like Festool.  Say goodbye to your wallet.

I dont plan to go to much further.

LOL

4 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Very nice Chris,

My bench work-over is going to have limited space for planes. So hope to NOT expand behind this. I have no intent of doing the grunt work with hand tools so should be fine.

planes.jpg

Nice design......... look forward to seeing the finished product !

Truthfully Rich, most of those are specialty planes though not pictured is my rabbet jack plane. I did just purchase a Stanlet Bedrock 604 and 606 for refurbishment and as I get into more hanplane work, my bench planes will be old antiques like those. I'd rather not drop 300+ on a bench plane! Besides, those Bedrocks are works of art waiting to be reborn! I can't wait to do a cabinet like that though.

• Like 2

Yea I have their catalog in my nightstand. LOL

I have a few Veritas things from Lee Valley and they are very nice.  I think the Lie Nielsen product is slightly nicer in the stuff that probably doesn't matter category so not the best bang for your buck. But I enjoy buying something that will last several generations and know it was hand built in Maine.

I would also like to buy some stuff from Rob Cosman in Canada. If I did not have a nice set of Robert Sorby bench chisels I would buy Robs IBC chisels.  I might try a single chisel anyway.  I enjoy watching Robs videos. His technique and style does not match mine because I prefer to use more power tools but have learned a lot from him.

3 hours ago, Jay-J said:

Oh and don't forget Lee Valley Tools!!! I like lie Lie Nielsen as well but I seem to gravitate to Lee Valley.  Great tools and a little cheaper than Lie Nielsen. Both companies have great customer service...

Yeah, half of the planes pictured are actually Veritas planes. I like the Kanuks planes. Really solid. Pictured is a router plane with the specialty cutter. A scrub plane, a bullnose plane and the sweet plow plane with fence! For Lie Nielsen there is the Low Angle block with adj mouth, skew block, router and my beautiful tongue and groove. Not pictured is my LN low angle jack rabbet plane! Almost half and half with me, I love them both and yup, some of the Veritas tools can be a few dollars cheaper. Definitely different tools though. 

The marking gauges are intriguing to me as I am very finicky about pencil points. I looked up some marking gauges which lead me to marking knives, which seem to be more suited for my style of work. The thing is, how does one carry one with out constantly stabbing themselves and still have quick access to it. Any suggestions on that front?

When I cut on a miter saw I always try and split my pencil mark leaving just a little "shadow" on my work piece. Is that still possible with a marking gauge?

Well the marking gauge makes a line no different than your marking knife. I use a marking knife when my gauge wont reach.

The nice thing about the gauge is the accuracy of centering on the end of a board. Mark one side then from other until you have a centered line and make your mark. That and severing grain to reduce tear out.

I have a nice brass wheel type cutter also but am not happy with it after watching a Rob Cosman video because I have a screw that protrudes from the end. For Marking its not a big deal but after watching the video I realized you could use a marking gauge to clean up the corner of a dado or rabbet or even as a router plane.

I will dig up video if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 8:19 PM, SetBuilder said:

The marking gauges are intriguing to me as I am very finicky about pencil points. I looked up some marking gauges which lead me to marking knives, which seem to be more suited for my style of work. The thing is, how does one carry one with out constantly stabbing themselves and still have quick access to it. Any suggestions on that front?

I switched over to using a marking knife anywhere I need to be more precise than the width of a pencil point and had the same problem of "how do you keep it handy without stabbing yourself."  I found that Blue Spruce Toolworks makes an excellent sheath for marking knives (and really nice knives too, if you're in the market.  I bought one and can attest to the quality and usefulness in keeping the blade of my marking knife out of my leg :D

http://www.bluesprucetools.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SLSH

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, khariV said:

I switched over to using a marking knife anywhere I need to be more precise than the width of a pencil point and had the same problem of "how do you keep it handy without stabbing yourself."  I found that Blue Spruce Toolworks makes an excellent sheath for marking knives (and really nice knives too, if you're in the market.  I bought one and can attest to the quality and usefulness in keeping the blade of my marking knife out of my leg :D

http://www.bluesprucetools.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SLSH

I bought one of his screwdrivers and it is a beautiful tool. Was using it yesterday while wiring in some outlets in my new shop 

1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

This came today. Been on order for about 7 weeks.  Typical Lie Nielsen A+++

20170221_124509.jpg

Beautiful router plane Rich, I love mine. They are one of the most useful tools in my shop.  Super high quality in that plane bro, you'll love it 

Great idea on the sheath.  Marking gauges are the way to go for a lot of reasons. We learn ways to measure that build in a lot of cumulative error.  I am trying to retrain myself to do things differently.

I think the router plane will be handy. I have needed one about three times in the last two weeks and did not have it.

I am loving this scraper plane. I have used it to clean up some 3/4 wide facing that I would have rounded off with sandpaper and the grain was to irregular for a normal plane. This things rocked !

thumbnail,w_500,h_500,m_a.jpg

• Like 1