Hi my name is Rich and I might be a Lie Nielsen Addict

rrmccabe

I have not used a shoulder plane many times but when I did I held the body of the plane and never by the handle. So not sure I would put the vertitas second handle to use.

I doubt you would go wrong with either. Honestly, it appears to me the main difference between the Lie Nielsen and others is the out of box experience as far as being 100% ready and not just 98%.

I have stuff in my Lie Nielsen shopping cart but just cant seem to pull the trigger.  I need some rasp and their price on them is similar to other re-sellers (frigging outrageous ) !

13 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I have not used a shoulder plane many times but when I did I held the body of the plane and never by the handle. So not sure I would put the vertitas second handle to use.

I doubt you would go wrong with either. Honestly, it appears to me the main difference between the Lie Nielsen and others is the out of box experience as far as being 100% ready and not just 98%.

I have stuff in my Lie Nielsen shopping cart but just cant seem to pull the trigger.  I need some rasp and their price on them is similar to other re-sellers (frigging outrageous ) !

I bought an aurio rasp from LN a year or so ago. You should research the rasps, they are made by hand in France and it's a beatiful tool. Thanks for your insight on the shoulder plane, I actually have the Veritas bull nose but I really like the looks of the LN, have been playing this back and forth :)

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

And it continues :)

Ordered a chisel plane as well but its about 2 1/2 weeks out.

20170510_151403.jpg

20170510_151417.jpg

Just ordered a chisel Rich. Nice stuff you got there bro. I'm buying the Veritas shoulder plane next but that Lie Nielsen is gorgeous!

What size are you going with Chris?  The small would have been ideal for most things I did but in Cosmans class I have learned that having a little extra mass helps so I went for medium. The large was just too big.

I am more excited about the screwdriver than the plane. LOL

This is what I ordered for chisel plane.

chisel.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

What size are you going with Chris?  The small would have been ideal for most things I did but in Cosmans class I have learned that having a little extra mass helps so I went for medium. The large was just too big.

I am more excited about the screwdriver than the plane. LOL

This is what I ordered for chisel plane.

chisel.jpg

Rich, I ordered the large shoulder plane. I'm a big fan of the bulk and control with a second hand on it. I also own the Veritas Bullnose shoulder plane and love it but I got to try the large one out at a class and fell in love with it. I should have it by Monday and will post some pics!

Yea post some pictures.  In my case I am trying to make better joints were my top of the line power tools fall short. So I think the medium is the right choice for me.  If not, will add a larger one :)

I am running out of things on my wish list for LN as I dont have huge hand tool goals. I dont have any mortise chisels and not sure if that is something I will need for my woodworking style/project. But I have admired and thought about them. Trying to use domino's so I can justify my purchase. LOL

I think the only thing on my LN list at this point is a 4 1/2 and also a spoke shave.  I also am thinking about buying extra blades so I can swap them out and sharpen a couple at a time.  I am trying to give up on sharpening jigs so struggling with the whole extra blade thing.

6 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I am running out of things on my wish list for LN as I dont have huge hand tool goals. I dont have any mortise chisels and not sure if that is something I will need for my woodworking style/project. But I have admired and thought about them. Trying to use domino's so I can justify my purchase. LOL

I think the only thing on my LN list at this point is a 4 1/2 and also a spoke shave.  I also am thinking about buying extra blades so I can swap them out and sharpen a couple at a time.  I am trying to give up on sharpening jigs so struggling with the whole extra blade thing.

I would really like the 4 1/2 myself Rich, but have been looking at the Veritas model. It's a bit less expensive but the frog looks kind of weird. 

4 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Rich

I know next to nothing about hand planes. If I was going to purchase my first hand plane what would you suggest, or do you know of a hand plane 101 buyers guide?

Thanks

Well I guess it depends what you plan to do with it.  I have a feeling your needs are similar to mine and you are NOT planning on flattening long planks with a huge #8 plane. I am a hybrid woodworker and use planes to improve in my power tool results.

I think the #62 low angle jack plane is one of the best all around planes you can buy if you are just looking for a nice plane that does a lot of things. Also a block plane is great to have as well.

In my opinion all planes regardless of cost will provide almost equal results if they have a good blade in them. The thicker blades often perform better because of less flex/chatter in the blade. IBC makes some nice blades to retrofit many planes.

Also as far as brand quality (once again my personal opinion) I feel that Lie Nielsen makes the best plane if you exclude all the exotic stuff. Veritas is a close second. The only difference I have seen is how much work they need out of the box. Some planes might need the sole flattened and of course the blade sharpened and maybe a little filing here and there. The Lie Nielsen plane is pretty much pristine out of the box and ready to go to work. They are almost too pretty to use.

The higher dollar planes usually have less backlash on the adjusting knob because their machining is very nice.  Many of the cheaper planes have sloppy adjustments which means you have to back the wheel way out to retract the blade and then screw it back in until it starts to put pressure on the blade.

I like planes that you can adjust the front part of sole to open or close the throat. Smaller throat opening means less tear out on figured woods so its nice to be able to adjust that easily.  Some planes require you to get out a screwdriver and loosen and move the frog that holds the blade.  I am short on patience so I prefer easy adjustment :)

My absolute favorite technique in the shop is a plane and shooting board.  I have no idea why every power tool shop does not have one.

Most modern planes like Lie Nielson and Veritas  are copies of old Stanley and Record planes anyway. They are just remaking them and often in the case of Veritas and Lie Nielsen make slight improvements on the original design.

Beyond normal smoothing type planes, a router plane and shoulder plane can get you out of trouble fixing up joints.

But its all about being sharp and I consider myself a student in this area. I am learning..... I can sharpen a plane blade perfectly but need to learn how to do it by hand in 30 seconds so I do it more often.

One of the things I have learned in my Rob Cosman class is a planed finish is much better than one sanded smooth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Thanks Chris.

Struggled with #4 or 4  1/2. Went with the latter but had to add a wider divider on my plane rack to fit the 4 1/2

I would have done the same. I got a Sargent 4-1/2 equivalent from the very early 1900s and will be working on a small restore (its in great shape) but I'd love to that Lie Nielsen ?

I like the feel of the  4 1/2 and glad I got it.

I rotated the router plane up and added the last strip.

Need to build mounts for the new LN screwdriver, LN spoke shave and pushdrill and my new Starrett protractor.

I don't have much interest in large jointer planes but might consider a skew block plane with fence.

Otherwise, I think I am done  :D

20170524_155607.jpg

• Like 2