1940s Craftsman drill press clean up!

rrich1

8 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Time to start Craigslisting!

It is turning out better than I thought it would. Color is perfect with polished or stainless steel type finishes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I look regularly, I'm always looking for DMMs and now I'm looking for an old vice. We never had any good drill presses, I looked for about a year, few year old Deltas are pretty much all that I find. You struck gold man.

I look regularly, I'm always looking for DMMs and now I'm looking for an old vice. We never had any good drill presses, I looked for about a year, few year old Deltas are pretty much all that I find. You struck gold man.

I actually found mine in the Facebook marketplace. Check there and an app called varage sale.

I struck gold by this thing coming apart so easily. My friend who came over to help m with the motor (again...Not electronics guy) and was amazed/irritated when everything came apart easy and clean. Lol

• Like 1

Today I got the last of the body and motor pieces cleaned, primed, and two coats of paint on. Will do another coat after work and then a few coats of clear. Got my motor bearings in today as well. Hopefully get it rewired on Monday and start getting it really back together. 

Buffed the handles out last night. Soaked them in dawn to get them cleaned then used a buffer wheel. Turned out real nice.

68be95a6b2c96d3669d35f5d042fc7ed.jpg

Also got the logo on as well. Just took some soap to it. Didn't want to risk damaging the letters. Going to do the same thing to the motor plate as well. Don't care about it not being cleaned up too well. Will give it a nice accent to the restored drill press I think. I'm loving these colors together. [emoji7] the rest of the pieces have 2 coats of clear on them and will get a third coat after work.

d679a4b487c9779f943cfd653fe96b81.jpg3f4f6cec702917fa4e928a915b6c78b6.jpga9bf52c3a3d2ba60aa46e949c6ddfb56.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/3/2017 at 0:57 PM, Conductor562 said:

I like black with red accents 

Yes, the Milwaukee look!

On 2/9/2017 at 3:28 AM, rrich1 said:

Well hello!3b9667c46416e8351d0dfb0c642363b6.jpg

WHAOH Nice!! I can now get a feel for how it was made, the design is definitely of that era, looks like they took some design advice from those old fin tail Cadillacs if you can picture that.

This will be solid and anything for the price of you restoring this would be a complete letdown compared. You know the lighter ones would vibrate a little, or rattle, not adjust as smoothly, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes, the Milwaukee look!

WHAOH Nice!! I can now get a feel for how it was made, the design is definitely of that era, looks like they took some design advice from those old fin tail Cadillacs if you can picture that.

This will be solid and anything for the price of you restoring this would be a complete letdown compared. You know the lighter ones would vibrate a little, or rattle, not adjust as smoothly, etc.

it is definitely from the time of over building and big sweeping fins. lol. it is solid a machine for sure. nothing is light. i told my wife i will have about as much in this as a new ryobi drill from home depot which would have a smaller capacity, lighter, not as sturdy, nor near as awesome. so it makes sense for me to restore this one. :)

Damn man, that is coming out even better than I imagined. That is freaking gorgeous!

I had gotten the quill in and handle pieces and then realized I forgot to put in a piece. Have to take out what I put on to put the piece in. Ugh. [emoji28]

• Like 1

Here is where I am at right now. My friend has both pulleys and the motor is still apart. He is coming over tomorrow so hopefully we can get the rest of it assembled. For some reason the table lock collar came out a different color and not sure why. Kinda irritating. We'll see how much it bugs me. c1c449dab57f2b544784f3293c32cbf3.jpg14063a61aaffd87b90dec2119984becf.jpg122e30079ca48825be2d619c24b27a13.jpg6d18a5804d72b7cbdf761153e4416bdb.jpg8d58d3a22e389b82c044cf281029b9f2.jpgb0b72367ff0cf82918c74f512a7fb2bf.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Thanks guys. Hopefully motor is put back together tonight!

Please do a video of it working when it's done. You seriously have no idea how excited I am seeing this, it's truly a gorgeous tool. It's a shame companies don't make tools like this anymore. Back then you could have a basic shop tool that was decorated just because people took pride in their work.

• Like 1

Please do a video of it working when it's done. You seriously have no idea how excited I am seeing this, it's truly a gorgeous tool. It's a shame companies don't make tools like this anymore. Back then you could have a basic shop tool that was decorated just because people took pride in their work.

I had planned on it [emoji4]. We didnt get it done tonight. He wasn't able to get over here u til late and rewiring was being kind of a pain. Should get it finished next Monday. [emoji41]

• Like 1

Was really hoping to get the motor finished last night but didn't. The switch is too big. Will need a different switch and some eyelets. Here is the motor basically done though. Far cry from what it looked like before! Decided to not clean up the motor info plate. be3aed20e3693179eec3c4cde03087f1.jpg67613972a5a2433628c664f782f5ee72.jpg3b0e9305cd6c9ea48def0f4278f9f0d5.jpg

• Like 2