I Am So sick of porter cable

CATERPILLAR

12 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Thanks man ? lol comp I don't think he is that old lol ???

Oh Gawd yeah! I think he defended Quebec from the Americans during the Revolutionary War! His first car actually had REAL horse power! I jest of course....Comp is actually ageless. Kind of like mountains ;) That's where all his experience comes from. He studied under Davinci :) I studied under Barnum and Bailey ;) 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Oh Gawd yeah! I think he defended Quebec from the Americans during the Revolutionary War! His first car actually had REAL horse power! I jest of course....Comp is actually ageless. Kind of like mountains ;) That's where all his experience comes from. He studied under Davinci :) I studied under Barnum and Bailey ;) 

Lol man u crack me up ??_?

Here is my 2 cents on the subject.  

Porter Cable was bought by Stanley/Black N Decker in October 2004.  That is basically when production ceased in the USA.  There is kind of a pecking order or price points in the Stanley / Black N Decker line.  From what I can see, they go from top to bottom beginning with DeWalt, Bostitch, Stanley, Porter Cable, and then Black N Decker.  

They are priced to compete with Ridgid and Kobalt, but I think they are more equal to Ryobi if you ask me.   

The routers used to be excellent and I love my Tiger Saw and my Porter cable 557 biscuit jointer, but they were both bought before 2004.  I also own the Porter Cable pocket hole jig that I really like.

I had a porter cable 18 volt lithium ion drill, but it lacked any real 18 volt power, so I gave it away.

I tend to stay away from Porter cable if I am looking at tools now.  

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 10:14 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Ah man the triple square for the VW yes they are so proprietary, gotta be so special..

all my pc gear was bought long ago, when they made things in Jackson, Tenn

now that i think of it, i should look at my 'tiger claws' for coo.

anyone got a 'tiger cub' they wanna let go?.

Where's good place to find batteries for those tools? I'm asking for a friend. no seriously, i am hah

huh?

On 2/12/2017 at 11:50 PM, Conductor562 said:

Porter Cable kinda struggled to find it's niche in the SBD lineup. It started out bottom of the barrel quality, but has slowly worked it's way to the middle tier, which I think was always the intention.

I didn't know they were at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I'm really only referring to their cordless stuff. For awhile when SBD got them, their cordless lineup was absolute garbage. It was seriously B&D level stuff. They improved them drastically when they put out the 20V line though. 

• Like 1

I'm really only referring to their cordless stuff. For awhile when SBD got them, their cordless lineup was absolute garbage. It was seriously B&D level stuff. They improved them drastically when they put out the 20V line though. 

If you look at the tools they produce you can tell their older designs that still survived versus the "modern" SBD look of their cordless line and cheaper corded tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, Conductor562 said:

I wouldn't quite go that far.  Maybe there were some earlier tools that deserve a bad reputation, but my 18v PC stuff is still holding up strong, as is the 12v Max drill and impact driver.  Porter Cable had a fair number of 18v tools released, and the changeover from Ni-Cad to Li-Ion seemed to go well.  That said, most of my PC tools are earlier ones.  It did seem that the tools were cheapened somewhat over their lifespan (plastic chucks instead of metal, plastic guides on the circular saw shoe, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

I still have my old PC all metal sawzall...it's a beast ,I'd put it up against any sawzall on the market and my old router and joiner still work great..20years old...

.....I remember in the trades if you owned porter cable you owned the best...

......Now it's Milwaukee,DEWALT,Bosch in the trades maybe Makita...

8 hours ago, Framer joe said:

I still have my old PC all metal sawzall...it's a beast ,I'd put it up against any sawzall on the market and my old router and joiner still work great..20years old...

Porter cable used to be good.  Black N Decker now owns them and the quality of the product has significantly dropped.  They are built and priced to compete with Ridgid and the likes.  I have some really nice older Porter Cable products, but shy away from them now.

The same thing happened to Delta.  They were bought out, went to crap and is now back on their own trying to rebuild consumer confidence.

I had the PC 20v stuff for a couple years and loved em.  I could easily out run (speed) the other guys with DeWalt 885's.  I'd still recommend PC's tools to anyone needing a great price to proformance tool line.  Ryobi is making it difficult to keep that recommendation but PC's stuff is WAY more comfortable, lighter and the ability to easily mod B&D batteries to work still makes me like them.

I had the PC 20v stuff for a couple years and loved em.  I could easily out run (speed) the other guys with DeWalt 885's.  I'd still recommend PC's tools to anyone needing a great price to proformance tool line.  Ryobi is making it difficult to keep that recommendation but PC's stuff is WAY more comfortable, lighter and the ability to easily mod B&D batteries to work still makes me like them.

The brushless stuff feels pretty nice I just checked it out today at lowest, the impact had some rubber overmolding on the head too

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

10 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

The brushless stuff feels pretty nice I just checked it out today at lowest, the impact had some rubber overmolding on the head too

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

I got rid of my PC stuff literally the day before the SBD event that announced the brushless stuff

• Like 2

On 3/19/2017 at 10:26 PM, Framer joe said:

Id say the new king is Festool... if people can afford it.