I Am So sick of porter cable

CATERPILLAR

On 3/23/2017 at 0:01 PM, Framer joe said:

Can say I have any Festool,just recently saw them in a local lumberyard.....I hear good things,are their tools for outside framing ?

festool just came out with a saw that is sorta a circular saw and track saw hybrid. Imagine the flexvolt circular saw but with a dust port, track base, and is corded.

On 3/26/2017 at 11:05 AM, Framer joe said:

Interesting....thanks, I think like their systainers they look to be a nice tools but more for shop use

Systainers seem nice. Many more options to choose from than Tough system and Ridgid. Many are very purpose built though. I doubt anyone would toss around a systainer like they would with Ridgid and DeWALT offerings. I noticed Makita has some boxes that supposedly are compatible with systainers. I found out systainers are not a Festool product but a Tanos product. Tanos makes systainers for other companies including Fein and Metabo.

Learn something everyday....thanks ...Festool,sustainer...it is definitely a very customer friendly system..compressor,vacuum,tools all in a box...love to be organized , maybe horizontal removable shelfs and thick vertical inserts for the tough boxes..it's very inexpensive but quite handy to have your tools separated in those bigger boxes..instead of a big pile on the bottom..........

.      ..like a Dewalt vacuum instead of putting your attachments around the vac,just have a small tough box on top to hold everything ...like Festool does...

6 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Learn something everyday....thanks ...Festool,sustainer...it is definitely a very customer friendly system..compressor,vacuum,tools all in a box...love to be organized , maybe horizontal removable shelfs and thick vertical inserts for the tough boxes..it's very inexpensive but quite handy to have your tools separated in those bigger boxes..instead of a big pile on the bottom..........

.      ..like a Dewalt vacuum instead of putting your attachments around the vac,just have a small tough box on top to hold everything ...like Festool does...

new 10 gallon vac design that is shaped better for tough system would be great.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 6:20 PM, Jronman said:

festool just came out with a saw that is sorta a circular saw and track saw hybrid. Imagine the flexvolt circular saw but with a dust port, track base, and is corded.

https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/track-saws/circular-saw-hkc-55-eb-plus-561692

its the HKC55. I have the cordless version that runs on any of their batteries. Also have two tracks for it. Absolutely awesome saw and track system. Dead on accurate angles. I also have the TS55REQ corded track saw. I cut all of my sheet goods down to size with that.

• Like 1

Systainers seem nice. Many more options to choose from than Tough system and Ridgid. Many are very purpose built though. I doubt anyone would toss around a systainer like they would with Ridgid and DeWALT offerings. I noticed Makita has some boxes that supposedly are compatible with systainers. I found out systainers are not a Festool product but a Tanos product. Tanos makes systainers for other companies including Fein and Metabo.

Neil is pretty cool and he's got an interesting take on Festool and the systainers. His take is dead on about some of the owners and he's dead on. I've been on the FOG for several years, I don't participate that much, a lot of the members are very truly....dick heads.

This is a pic of most of my systainers from my shop blog

fe1b53c7e23698cf90c4d06a8b36403d.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Bad ass @ChrisK...sweet set up ,love the multi drawer box and even pics of the tool in the box ? I like that..is that a medical kit box ? If so call Dewalt and demand one for me,will ya ,,you have clout...........Looks expensive , gotta love tools !!!! Thanks for the pic,appreciate it..

Thanks @Framer joe I appreciate that. The multi drawers and the tool box one are awesome. Currently I have the food out systainer set up for cabinetry and have all of my specialty drill driver bits, shelf pins etc. The first aid systainer was from a Festool Owners Group member (WOW....he passed away last year) and he bought all of the pieces parts etc and the systainers, had them labeled professionally and sold them for like $350. I actually got his last one through a bid and one it for like $150 bucks. Before my current job, I worked Fire Rescue and the kits we had on the bus were less outfitted than this first aid kit. Almost like an ALS kit minus drugs and airway management! And yes, when you buy a Festool tool, the box comes with the, and has a picture of the tool right on the box. There are guys that even make their own decals for Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita etc...

Fire rescue ? I was a paramedic for years and did call fires and tried getting on a fire dept for 4 years, took the test got 98 three times and even tied a record for the obstacle course,full gear,dummy carry,swim,run 3miles....always waiting on a list but never get in, my bro was a cop for 28 years he said it's all family and who you know....great gig,2/ 24hr shifts and 5 off...I was gonna build decks 3 more days then take 2 off.....now I work 7 days a week,,. Life,go figure.....I digress..

.            ...ya bro,love your set up and your passion for Festool,...if I go that route I'll call upon you to pick your brain, thanks...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

Fire rescue ? I was a paramedic for years and did call fires and tried getting on a fire dept for 4 years, took the test got 98 three times and even tied a record for the obstacle course,full gear,dummy carry,swim,run 3miles....always waiting on a list but never get in, my bro was a cop for 28 years he said it's all family and who you know....great gig,2/ 24hr shifts and 5 off...I was gonna build decks 3 more days then take 2 off.....now I work 7 days a week,,. Life,go figure.....I digress..

.            ...ya bro,love your set up and your passion for Festool,...if I go that route I'll call upon you to pick your brain, thanks...

Thanks dude! Yup, I worked six years as an intermediate emt on an als bus in our largest city in NH.  I got rear ended by a TT and that career ended. I ended up testing first in over fifty applicants in all three categories for a local PD and went to the academy. I've got fifteen months and I can pull the plug with the NHSP in the State retirement system. I'm hoping to hook up with a friend who retired and he does custom cabinetry and builds houses. I'll be forty eight and starting a new career path

• Like 3

Good for you @ChrisK .....when one door closes another always opens ,just never know what's on the other side,,,can be scary,but quite rewarding...no shame in failure only in not trying......I wish you the best in the trades when your out....Cabinets by ChrisK....leave the houses to me ,,,just kidding....love framing homes....love finish work ,just don't get to do much...way to busy......might have to make room for some Dewalt tools next to your Festool..lol

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Porter cable is the stepchild in the SB&D lineup. It is higher than B&D and lower than DeWalt. With the new Craftsman power tools aiming at the same market segment, it will only get worse. When PC was a separate company, many years ago, they were up there with Milwaukee. They were bought By Rockwell who added a lot of Skil quality junk to the line but kept the good stuff. The next owner was Pentair, who dropped the junk and returned them to their former glory. Then B&D bought them and under them and later SB&D it has been a downhill slide. They have too many brands and it looks like PC is the odd man out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SB&D brands are losing their identity. So many repeat products that look similar or have similar features. One can only hope they bring the brands back to their former glory but that is unlikely at this point unless something changes. I think the only way to save some of these brands is to go counter to SB&D's "make multiples of the same thing" philosophy, change who is in charge, or sell the brands. The least they can do is ax products they have too much of or consolidate multiples of a product into one brand. SB&D has the brands to have most any tool covered but where their main flaw is they want all the tools in all the brands. 

• 3 weeks later...
I like torx too but when u don't have a torx screw driver to get them undone is a bitch
Torx is less likely to slip. You don't have to bear down as much as phillips which easily strip if too tight. You can get torx drivers, keys or bits. They are cheap and have been around forever. Not having a common tool is not a reason to ding them for using a better fastener. It is not like it is torx plus or security torx or some tamper resistant head.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 9:33 PM, CATERPILLAR said:

I like torx too but when u don't have a torx screw driver to get them undone is a bitch

Phillips are ok but when you don't have a Phillips screwdriver, getting them undone is a bitch.  Maybe Allen ... naw, you gotta have the right tool.  What about slotted . . . still gotta have the tool.