Which air compressor?

Carver67

Hello, I am a new member here and have a question.  I would like to purchase a portable air compressor.  It will mainly be for "home use".  I would prefer a "quiet" one on wheels or portable with wheels and not one to just lift from place to place.  I've been doing some research on line but I found this forum and thought I'd ask.  I do know that everyone may have a different opinion too.  I do understand about the SCFM and other criteria for a compressor for the intended use. I am just looking for what you have and likes and or dislikes.  Does anyone have the Lowes Quiet Tech compressor? Or maybe a Rolair or California Tools?

Thanks for any input,

Carver67

• Like 1

I recommended this one to my brother in law. Perfect for the homeowner and he loves it, quiet pretty compact and easy to move around. https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-5510SE-5-5-Gallon/dp/B00NOSCDPA/ref=pd_lpo_469_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5VC4ZJ0DFA39K7GTWNV5

My favorite compressor is the 2 gal Thomas Ultra Air-Pac. Super quiet and so easy to carry around, perfect for punch work. If I can get away with it, that's the one I grab. A little small for your all-around needs though.

4 hours ago, Carver67 said:

Hello, I am a new member here and have a question.  I would like to purchase a portable air compressor.  It will mainly be for "home use".  I would prefer a "quiet" one on wheels or portable with wheels and not one to just lift from place to place.  I've been doing some research on line but I found this forum and thought I'd ask.  I do know that everyone may have a different opinion too.  I do understand about the SCFM and other criteria for a compressor for the intended use. I am just looking for what you have and likes and or dislikes.  Does anyone have the Lowes Quiet Tech compressor? Or maybe a Rolair or California Tools?

Thanks for any input,

Carver67

You haven't said what tasks you will be doing with it. Without that information it is anybody's guess what your needs are.

Thanks for your input.  I should have mentioned that I'd primarily be using it for trim work around house, filling a tire, woodworking (pin, brad nailing), blowing off sawdust but I'd still like it to be quiet and portable too.  I understand I wouldn't really be able to use a air ratchet efficiently with it though.  What about am aluminum tank versus steel, brand name, warranty, etc. Just, are you happy with what you have for your required needs is what I was after.  Thanks again for your input and I am glad I have found this site.  

Carver67 

When you stated wheel requirements I assumed you were looking for something around 5 gal or so. A 2 gal compressor would be just fine for your needs. These are very light and easy to carry around, no need for wheels. I love my Thomas Air-Pac and can vouch for the 2.5 gal Rolair but both of these might be a little on the high end for occasional home use.

Given the tasks you want to perform, you could probably use one of the really small compressors like Rolair's AB5, Senco's PC1010N, or any number of California Air Tools compressors. At around 25 pounds they might be more convenient to carry than to roll something bigger. As far as noise, the magic number you want to look for is about 70 decibels or less. A lot of the pancake compressors come in at around 80 which can be more than a little obnoxious in enclosed spaces.

Anything on wheels is typically a "larger" compressor, That would be a pain to move around room to room for trim work. 

For your needs you can get away with a smaller / portable compressor.  I have a California air that is way more than enough for trim work , framing nailer etc. 

I just keep it on a cart which is super handy to have access to the rest of my tools.

IMG_5136.JPG

• Like 2

I am a big fan of the California Air compressors.. I bought the 10 gallon one.  It's perfect for what do.. I don't bother anyone in the house or my neighbors when I am working in the garage.  

Check out this video.. this is the exact one I have.. yes this video is very accurate.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:21 AM, SetBuilder said:

Anything on wheels is typically a "larger" compressor, That would be a pain to move around room to room for trim work. 

For your needs you can get away with a smaller / portable compressor.  I have a California air that is way more than enough for trim work , framing nailer etc. 

I just keep it on a cart which is super handy to have access to the rest of my tools.

IMG_5136.JPG

Nice set up, clean and organized.  I have seen carts on the job site before but most looked like a homeless person's shopping carts:)

Small compressors i have a craftsman and a dewalt. They aren't the quietest things though. They are reach about 12gal maybe 15. They have worked great for many years with no issue. My dewalt is having an issue now but i also took it into the shop so who knows what happened to it, those guys don't always take care of the tools like they should. Both are over 10 years old though. Definately paid for themselves.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:36 PM, Carver67 said:

Thanks for any input,

Carver67

I have the Lowes quiet tech air compressor and love it. It runs about 10 or 12 decibels less than most air compressors it's size and has been trouble free since I bought it which was only a few months ago.  I mainly use it for small cfm air tools like drills, a small sander, and blowing off my work station when I'm doing small projects.  Comes in handy when I blow the junk out of range brass before cleaning in my ultra sonic cleaner.  I actually did a video showing the noise difference between the Quiet Tech and a pancake compressor the same size but was never able to upload to this group. A hair dryer is louder than the Quiet Tech.  Bought it mainly because of less noise, compact size and the fact that I currently reside in an apartment, so I have to keep the noise level down to an acceptable level. Fits perfect in my portable work bench I keep tucked away in my closet.

What is more important?  HP or tank size?  In fact, could someone categorize and list in order of importance all of the factors?  How I've been looking into it so far is:

1) Tank Size

2) Loudness

And thats it, but I'm in the same boat.  Do I get a compressor and nailer separately, or get a pancake compressor combo kit?  

Can't go wrong with Rolair.  I've never heard a complaint about them.

They do make a few smaller ones with wheels.  Alot of people don't think they need wheels.  I'm at the point, I wouldn't even buy one that didn't have wheels.  Unless it was a very small one, but I wouldn't buy one of those to begin with.

Regarding the Porter Cable pancake compressors.  I've never had one, but I've seen a few on job sites.  They are extremely loud.  I think there are a few other brands that all basically look the same and come bundles with about 3 nailers.  

What is more important?  HP or tank size?  In fact, could someone categorize and list in order of importance all of the factors?  How I've been looking into it so far is:
1) Tank Size
2) Loudness

And thats it, but I'm in the same boat.  Do I get a compressor and nailer separately, or get a pancake compressor combo kit?  

Those kits seem tempting but if your going for quality I'd piece your tools together, save some cash and get a nice compressor, pan cakes are portable but load, a good nail gun is an investment that will last you for years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/15/2017 at 1:01 AM, croikee said:

1) Tank Size

2) Loudness

It is about addressing your needs and wants. Normal sound for compressors is around 80 decibels, most of your pancake style compressors run in that area, and that is pretty loud. There are several companies who make compressors which can be substantially quieter running around the 70 decibel range which is more like a normal conversation sound level. There are several different size compressors out there, some companies offer 1 to 1.5 gallon compressors which are usually in the 25-30 pound range and easily carried from room to room to knock out a few finish nails or brads, Then there are those that are about 40 pounds and 2 1/2 gallons, they usually have enough capacity to run a framing gun albeit slower and will cycle more with the bigger nailgun. The pancakes tend to be heavier than those I previously mentioned hold about 6 gallons, which is plenty of air to run any nailgun, you can charge on up and carry it out to check the air and top off tires or zip off a few lugnuts if needed. It won't power any high demand tools like a grinder, sander or paint with more than an airbrush.

The critical thing to look at more than HP is the amps it will draw when starting up and running, the other thing is the SCFM at the pressure you will be running your tools at. The four factors I would look at, in no order of importance are amperage, SCFM, portability and noise. You have to prioritize what you want. If you aren't going to use it more than once a month and you are looking at a pancake compressor, a finish nailer and and a brad nailer, you probably are not going to beat the value in the combo kit.