Cabinet updates & clamp rack

rrmccabe

So I now have the birch plywood I need along with 3 chunks of maple for the trim so will start cutting tonight.

I have been purchasing some really nice woodworking hand tools like planes, saws, marking gauges, etc and needed a place for them. Also not happy with my current clamp storage setup (as I mentioned in another thread), so going to redo that at the same time. This will allow me to add more clamps and remove and replace them with much greater ease.   I am going to build storage slots for my miter saw extensions for easier access. Right now they are behind the tool box top and I have to snake them back and forth in a certain sequence to get them out :(

Sketchup drawings showing you a rendering of what is going to be built.  Should not take long to do except for the dovetail drawers below the planes.

a.jpg

c.png

b.png

• Like 4

You know you will get in trouble for not posting pics !  Directly on the pegboard or brackets on the pegboard that the clamps sit on?

You can see them in the background above the drill press. They are just on a bracket that comes out and the clamps slide on. I built a clamp rack from fixthisbuildthat.com for my parallel and pipe clamps last month.

5610b8ad43499a3fc2c62d3cc10a8652.jpga9f011c30132405a29ce97e25cd4d4af.jpgf0e0868a83bba14bb0284682fb76ed80.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yea I remember the clamp rack but was not following how you had clamps on the pegboard.

I dont have any F clamps that small that would hang on Pegboard.

With Pony and Jorgensen going under I need to stock up on the Jorgensen F clamps if I see them going cheap. I bought some more 24" for about $15.00 each from Ace Hardware and just waiting for them to arrive.  Would like to have a dozen 6" F clamps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Yea I remember the clamp rack but was not following how you had clamps on the pegboard.

With Pony and Jorgensen going under I need to stock up on the Jorgensen F clamps if I see them going cheap. I bought some more 24" for about $15.00 each from Ace Hardware and just waiting for them to arrive.  Would like to have a dozen 6" F clamps.

some home depots still have them and are clearancing them out as well. 

15 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I saw that Jorgensen was going out of business and it breaks my heart.  I really like the cabinet (parallel clamps) clamps.  I actually like them better than the Bessey clamps.  I need to get out there and buy up what I can.

I agree John.

Same with Pony.  They have had to sell millions of pipe clamps over the years. As near as I could tell Jorgensen tried to retool pony with modern technology and it drug them both down. I think I read that from an ex Jorgensen employee.

I think Jet clamps are worth a look but seem kinda pricey.

1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

I agree John.

Same with Pony.  They have had to sell millions of pipe clamps over the years. As near as I could tell Jorgensen tried to retool pony with modern technology and it drug them both down. I think I read that from an ex Jorgensen employee.

I think Jet clamps are worth a look but seem kinda pricey.

I've got a boat load of Jets and a small number of Besseys. The cool thing about the Jets, aside from the lifetime warranty, is the finger trigger to release the head. Pretty slick! This year there were no Jet sales but the last few years Jet has a buy one get one free deal or half price and I try to stock up then. Also I'm a huge fan of the Dewalt XL trigger clamps!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Also I'm a huge fan of the Dewalt XL trigger clamps!

Those clamps are great for one handed use and I have probably used my quick grips more than anything else. Do the dewalts have more clamping pressure than the quick grips?  Mine really do not have enough pressure for a lot of glue ups. I have a couple new style Irwin clamps that have lots of clamping pressure but they are super bulky.

Made some progress last night.   Got all my sheet goods cut. Just need to edge band some of them with maple and can start the domino assembly process. This is my first real domino project.

Laminated all the 3/4 plywood together for the clamp holding fingers and got them sanded.

I have owned my Festool TS55 track saw for well over 15 years and have used it hundreds of times. But still amazed at the results when I use it in cut quality and lack of mess. Everything in the picture below is from two 4x8 sheets of plywood ripped down and a few cross cuts. The sawdust on the floor is all that slipped by when cutting with the vac attached. Most of that was from cleaning up a factory edge with nothing on the outside of blade to capture it.

20170217_095900.jpg

20170217_095850.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Those clamps are great for one handed use and I have probably used my quick grips more than anything else. Do the dewalts have more clamping pressure than the quick grips?  Mine really do not have enough pressure for a lot of glue ups. I have a couple new style Irwin clamps that have lots of clamping pressure but they are super bulky.

Made some progress last night.   Got all my sheet goods cut. Just need to edge band some of them with maple and can start the domino assembly process. This is my first real domino project.

Laminated all the 3/4 plywood together for the clamp holding fingers and got them sanded.

I have owned my Festool TS55 track saw for well over 15 years and have used it hundreds of times. But still amazed at the results when I use it in cut quality and lack of mess. Everything in the picture below is from two 4x8 sheets of plywood ripped down and a few cross cuts. The sawdust on the floor is all that slipped by when cutting with the vac attached. Most of that was from cleaning up a factory edge with nothing on the outside of blade to capture it.

20170217_095900.jpg

20170217_095850.jpg

Absolutely!http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-X-Large-Trigger-Clamp-DWHT83185/204988146

The best thing is the full clamp face as opposed to the small rubber face on my Irwins. This produce a large amount of force but over a much larger area like a parallel clamp. Super nice stuff!

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Also I'm a huge fan of the Dewalt XL trigger clamps!

I'm not a big fan of the trigger clamps for woodworking.  The actual action of working the trigger causes the clamps to not line up with the work piece sometimes.  This causes the glue up to shift and place it where it shouldn't be.  Parallel, pipe and f body clamps are much better for wood glue ups.

Yeah with these particular ones I have not had that issue whereas my irwins aren't as stable. Truthfully though my Jets and Besseys do the real work but the Dewalts do everything else! It's all about the face. Plus the trigger mechanism on the Dewalts are much stronger.

58 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Chris those clamps in that link look more like the two Irwin's I have. They clamp much harder than the QuickGrips but are pretty bulky.

They are quite large. They have the reinforced side panels and the full clamp face. They are for all intents the exact same as your Irwins and are rebranded. I've actually got them up to 50" long with a few 24"s too. The nice thing is for the tricky jobs when setting up the parallel will cause problems these pop right in plus the 50" are great for squaring up smaller cabinets.

Since we are talking clamps I will toss in that I have two of the Jorgensen gear clamps. They are the ones that look like a F clamp but you pull the lever (similar to the newer Festool MFT clamps) to lock them.  They are nice in the fact they dont twist the glue-up as John mentioned but I always seem to get them in a position I cant pull the handle. They have TONS of pressure.

I would like more of them but they are pricey and with Jorgensen going out, its unlikely I will be finding more at a decent price.

• Like 1

Well tedious part now. Doing all the edge banding.

Got a few pieces banded and sanded.  Whenever the long piece dries I can unclamp it and get the trim flushed up. Only two small pieces left and can assemble the clamp rack.  Then move on to the Woodworking tool cabinet for planes, etc.

20170217_152828.jpg

20170217_154245.jpg

• Like 1

Question on the Plywood.... I couple of weeks ago I bought plywood at HD to build closet shelves for a friend. It was the same as you are using with only about 5 layers. I picked at it with a knife a bit as I have seen MDF sandwiched in layers on occasion, but that was not the case here.

The finished plywood we get at work is made in China and has double the layers, but there are often small voids in the layers.  Then there is 5x5 Baltic Birch which is absolutely flawless.

Do you have any opinion on the number of layers and strength? 

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

I do not have any opinion on strength but this birch plywood has hardly any voids.  The laminates are straight.  They also have the stuff with MDF but this is not it.

I have been going to HD for plywood recently instead of Menards because the veneer is much thicker.  And more progress...

20170218_121238.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 9:39 AM, ChrisK said:

I've got a boat load of Jets and a small number of Besseys. The cool thing about the Jets, aside from the lifetime warranty, is the finger trigger to release the head. Pretty slick! This year there were no Jet sales but the last few years Jet has a buy one get one free deal or half price and I try to stock up then. Also I'm a huge fan of the Dewalt XL trigger clamps!

how do the DeWALT trigger clamps compare to the Irwin quick grip?