What to do with extra receptacle space?

olletsocmit

I am looking for suggestions on what to do with extra receptacle space. In the guest bedroom's the house was wired w/ 2 gang boxes in each room next to the door. It was wired for the light on/off switch on the right. The switch on the left controls a power outlet receptacle. So when you turn the left one on or off anything plugged into that one out it will go on and off. I don't really understand the point of it! I rewired it so that that outlet is constantly on like normal.

I need advice and suggestions on what to do with the empty left space. If worse comes to worse and I can't figure out anything, I will just buy a two gang cover plate that only has one cut out on the right...

I saw this on sale the other day so I grabbed it and thought it would be a good idea. It comes on automatically at night and shuts off automatically when it's light out. It also has for brightness settings you just tap it to change. But I'm not very happy with it and the lowest setting is too bright at night so I am removing it.

ba599499fc46d3d1210dc4fcad6be0a6.jpg

ad7da72051fbbb9abe22ebfa9ce58c9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/4/2017 at 10:37 AM, olletsocmit said:

I am looking for suggestions on what to do with extra receptacle space. In the guest bedroom's the house was wired w/ 2 gang boxes in each room next to the door. It was wired for the light on/off switch on the right. The switch on the left controls a power outlet receptacle. So when you turn the left one on or off anything plugged into that one out it will go on and off. I don't really understand the point of it! I rewired it so that that outlet is constantly on like normal.

It is so you can have a lamp plugged in to go off and on with the switch. We have a lot of double gang outlet boxes where half are hot and half are switched. 

You could always swap out the combo fan / light switch to two separate switches to fill the double gang box

• Like 1

we also have a switched plug in in the master bedroom for the night stand for charging phones ect ect those pesty little chargers draw power as long as they are plugged in regardless if a phone is plugged in to it. this way leave the charger plugged in but turn off power with switch.