Truck tool storage

WeldfabNeil

I am looking for ideas for tool storage in the backseat of my pickup. Any ideas are welcome an appreciated. I've had some crazy ideas so ile consider anything. 

My goal is to use half the backseat for hand tools an supplies. The other half will be set up for larger ietems such as my wire feeders, plasma cutter, chop saw, etc. A small separated space for groceries or whatever would be nice, but can always go in front. To fully utilize the full width I am thinking I need make or buy a drawer of some sort. It doesnt matter if it ends up blocking rear window. 

Thankfully I have full access to a fabrication shop. However I don't want to take advantage of that privilege. Goal is to cut an bend whatever parts needed then finish at home. 

There is no dedicated budget or timeline. The cheaper an sooner the better. At the same time I want it to work efficiently an built well. 

Are you going to be working out of the truck? Or are you wanting to keep tools there so you have access to them where ever you are?

I have tools in my car for emergency and stuff that I need at the shop and at home but I don't need those at either place often. What I use is a few bags organized into hand tools and electrical...then I carry my main tool bag in there. I've come to like the open style bags but if I had to make the best of space I'd go with a deep, stacked pocket bag. And then make a shell that can hold the bags. IDEALLY, the bags would be stored under cover because if you have polarized sunglasses you can see what I have in my bag through the tint. So, what I propose is a metal shelf with storage under that shelf, the shelf is for small items or closed bags or groceries. With bags stored under that shelf. If you want to go crazy, make that shelf an open box with hooks on the walls to attach the grocery bag handles.

With this solution, you'd probably want to pick up one of those cheap HF LED magnetic lights so you can see under the shelf.

Bag recommendations:

This is my new main bag, it's very nice for the price IMO: https://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1529-16-Pocket-16-Inch/dp/B0001ZI4K2/

This one is really deep and has a good amount tool storage: https://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1537-Multi-Compartment-Carrier/dp/B000EDTSYW/

Also, check out the new higher end Husky bags, those are great...though their liner looks godawful.

The use which ever power tool bags you have. The small Milwaukee bag is great for small jobs because it's small and light. https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Bag13x6x8nch-Heavy-Canvas-Pocket/dp/B00NAPQ6ZU/

I'm sure you have the Milwaukee contractor bag and/or the tall square bag that's in most drill/driver kits. Those are great too but bigger.

Are you using the truckbed for anything? Would it make more sense to have your welder stored in the bed? Is it too big to fit in the back seat? I like @noodeel's idea of using modular storage. I have a ds130 and a ds300 tough system and they work great. Might be an option to instal a tough system rack. Maybe have the rack slide out? I am not sure if a tough box can fit sideways. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the input guys. The truck itself is a 2017 f450. It's my daily driver an sidejob work truck.

I had a Silverado with a miller trailblazer but it got totaled. I considered buying a good dedicated service truck an a beat up car for everyday but decided against it. 

My buddy rough drafted some drawings for a welding skid in the bed an a backseat drawer unit. We have a few final tweaks to make on them. My work is so backed up currently, so no rush. Once there's time on the weekends for me to get in I will start getting parts cut an bent. After those are done I will start on a front bumper. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I've always thought it'd be nice to do like a pack rat style drawers coming out each side. It's doable but either expensive or time intensive and slightly less expensive.

I am gonna have some sort of sliding drawers on one side an shelves with doors on the other side. Still deciding the configuration. 

I looked at weatherguards pack rat things. There actually somewhat reasonbly priced. They seem expensive but if you add up the materials an your time there not that expensive. I am just not happy with there sizes for my needs. If I didn't have access to metalworking equipment I would just buy one, an make do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

I am gonna have some sort of sliding drawers on one side an shelves with doors on the other side. Still deciding the configuration. 

I looked at weatherguards pack rat things. There actually somewhat reasonbly priced. They seem expensive but if you add up the materials an your time there not that expensive. I am just not happy with there sizes for my needs. If I didn't have access to metalworking equipment I would just buy one, an make do. 

Those weather guard ones are so damned nice though. I wish I had one, but I'm about to snap the frame on my pickup as is without any more weight.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 1:40 AM, Stercorarius said:

Those weather guard ones are so damned nice though. I wish I had one, but I'm about to snap the frame on my pickup as is without any more weight.

Sure are nice, just wish better sizes for my needs. Then again anything would be better then my current mismatch of bags an boxes. 

I had to move up to dual rear wheels cause weight. 

• 1 month later...