Removing a flexvolt battery: 20v vs 60v

Jronman

Anyone find it is harder to push down the release on a flexvolt battery when connected to a 60v tool than when it is connected to a 20v tool?

Maybe it just is the reciprocating saw or maybe the batteries have dust or something on them. The saw had a bit of use doing demo in both wood and metal. I don't notice much issue when I take off a flex from my drill but have noticed more issue when taking off a flex from my reciprocating saw. I don't remember having this issue with my 790 saw. I may just have to do some more testing. At the end of the work day I wipe off tools I have used. Hopefully it makes em last longer.

I have 4 Flexvolts and 10 or so 20v and I don't notice any difference in removal. Then again I strong arm my tools while my wife can't get any battery off a tool to save her life 

I do not have the 60v Recip so I can't comment on that but I would think you could do some testing yourself to find the root of the problem. Be it a specific battery, multiple batteries with same issue, or Tool bay causing issue. From what you described seems to be some crud in the Battery bays railing on the tool itself. Try cleaning the railing and possibly running a small amount of light oil(gun oil) on a clean rag and running the tracks with that.

@JakeDewalt I did more testing. 3 of my flexvolt batteries I keep in my ds300 with my 60v recip and 20v multitool. I bought my recip for demo and bush trimming use. Out of any tools I use they probably get the most dust, debris, grime, etc. on them. my other 2 batteries stay with my miter saw. They are noticeably cleaner. Its not the sliding off the recip thats difficult its the pressing the battery release button that is more difficult. Without a tool you can notice the 2 for the miter saw press smoother than the 3 for my recip. None are hard to press without a tool. The 3 batteries are easier to take out of my miter saw than the recip but are ever so slightly more difficult than the miter saw batteries. The miter saw batteries are ever so slightly easier to take out of the recip than the recip batteries. I try the recip batteries in my drill and the button presses fine. I think it is a combination of both the recip and the 3 recip batteries. Maybe there is dust or something under the buttons. I cleaned the best I could with my shirt. Still not as easy to push the button as on other tools.

Should I lubricate the release buttons? I'm not sure I have gun oil but I have sword oil. Would that work?

I had a similar experience with my Flexvolt circ saw. The Flexvolt battery required a little more force to click in and out of the unit . In comparison, my regular 18v lines have no problem.

On closer inspection, I found out there is a slight play with the battery connector terminal in the circ saw. I felt gutted because it was brand new so I google'd around and nothing. I went down to Bunnnings and Mitre10 (our equivalence to homedepot) and checked their display units. To my relief, they all had a slight play with the connector.

I ignored the battery in/out irreqularity and continued using my skillie for few more weeks. Now, the Flexvolt batteries go in and out of the circ saw smoother.

1 hour ago, muddychip said:

I had a similar experience with my Flexvolt circ saw. The Flexvolt battery required a little more force to click in and out of the unit . In comparison, my regular 18v lines have no problem.

On closer inspection, I found out there is a slight play with the battery connector terminal in the circ saw. I felt gutted because it was brand new so I google'd around and nothing. I went down to Bunnnings and Mitre10 (our equivalence to homedepot) and checked their display units. To my relief, they all had a slight play with the connector.

I ignored the battery in/out irreqularity and continued using my skillie for few more weeks. Now, the Flexvolt batteries go in and out of the circ saw smoother.

It seems fine on the miter saw. If i push the battery like I'm pushing it onto the recip then I push the button it is noticably easier to push the button. I think the 2 tabs that get pushed in have something to do with it because they have fairly strong springs putting resistance on the battery release button. Hopefully the battery button issue is nothing to be worried about. The recip has no other issues except the chuck area tends to get dirty but that is expected cause its a recip saw.

Interesting.....the only issue I have with flex ,is the dcn692 nailer/battery connection is a tight fit. ,,but others have commented on that and I've used many different ones so it's a manufactured thing,,no big deal..., we have flex sawzall at work ,I didn't notice any push button/battery difficulty........for decks I use the dcs367b new 20v max xr....I know most don't like it (vibrations) but I love it...

........Other then that battery issue ,how do you like the sawzall @Jronman..?

I only have a 60v grinder and I haven't really broken it in yet but my flexvolt batteries fit extremely tight on it.  It's like you have to put pressure on the battery and even then the button pushes hard.  The same flexvolt batteries on 20v tools seem to fit normal to me.  It's probably just some difference in tolerances and some tools are tighter than others.

I have seen this issue on my 20V's as well or just that debris doesn't really play well with the slider buttons. My 20v recip that I used mainly for demo has a harder than other to remove batteries and the removal click is significantly louder. I don't find it an issue was it caught me by surprise when I was switching batteries between tools I thought something was damaged. 

@Framer joe I like it. I spent most of Friday cutting 80 year old cast iron pipe with it. I used a Milwaukee torch blade. It worked great. No sparks and no blade melting. I would say I averaged 10 minutes per cut. I used around two 2.0/6.0 batteries plus partial of another. It is a heavy tool but in return you get a well built tool. Even the shoe is built well.

the Torch is Milwaukee's Metal blade. I wanna say the demo specific metal blade but I could be wrong. There's the Ax, Ax with carbide, Wrecker, and Torch. The blades if used correctly last a long time. I used 2 blades but I don't think the first blade was even fully used. The teeth still looked like they had a lot of life left. I estimated I did 20 cuts. Once all the pipe is out we may have to tackle the boiler.