What will Makita come out with next?

Jronman

Are there other hints that Makita could release a X4 platform?

Earlier this year, a Makita rep told me about a new tool factory being built in Germany and a new platform in the 50-100v range, which I thought would correspond to the 58v mentioned by Kornomaniac. 

Could that new platform be X4? It seems that Makita keeps releasing X2 tools, (the DLM461z mower among other). With 4 slots chargers being released by other brands, could that make sense?

1 hour ago, stefcl100 said:

Are there other hints that Makita could release a X4 platform?

Earlier this year, a Makita rep told me about a new tool factory being built in Germany and a new platform in the 50-100v range, which I thought would correspond to the 58v mentioned by Kornomaniac. 

Could that new platform be X4? It seems that Makita keeps releasing X2 tools, (the DLM461z mower among other). With 4 slots chargers being released by other brands, could that make sense?

X3 would be 54V and X4 would be 72V

X3 and X4 are unrealistic. Way too large to be useful.

Even X2 makes the tools very bulky. Like that weird and fugly angle grinder that's larger and has waaay less power than the cheapest no-name corded model equivalent.

People need to realise that the cordless fad is not sustainable. Very few power tools are suited for current battery technology. Drills, drivers, and that's pretty much it.  Unless you are willing to sacrifice power, runtime and size/weight for the advantage of being cordless..

4 minutes ago, kat said:

Even X2 makes the tools very bulky. Like that weird and fugly angle grinder that's larger and has waaay less power than the cheapest no-name corded model equivalent.

People need to realise that the cordless fad is not sustainable. Very few power tools are suited for current battery technology. Drills, drivers, and that's pretty much it.  Unless you are willing to sacrifice power, runtime and size/weight for the advantage of being cordless..

I dont know in which year you live in or what tools you have been using. Me and plenty of other pros are using as many cordless tools as possible.

2 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Yeah best to ignore the obvious troll really.

Altho I agree that x3 or x4 shouldn't be done

X3 or X4 could be useful on something like a backpack blower. But not anything handheld, definitely.

Have you used any x2 tools?
The Makita SDS Max is a beast. It isn’t bulkier or heavier than a corded model. The power of newer 18/36/54v cordless tools is nearly identical to their corded counterparts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, aessu said:

X3 would be 54V and X4 would be 72V

Quite frankly, I don't remember if it was 54v, 58v or 56v, at some point the rumor said it would be somewhere around ~60. Anyway, it's something bigger than X2.

47 minutes ago, aessu said:

X3 or X4 could be useful on something like a backpack blower. But not anything handheld, definitely.

Sure, but I really like to idea of being able to power a 18v drill, a 36v chainsaw and a couple of high demanding OPE tools such as a 54v SP mower or a large backpack blower with the same batteries.

Requiring as many as 6 or 8 packs for continuous operation might be difficult to sell, but having access to the wide range of 18v and 36v tools could compensate for that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stefcl100 said:

Requiring as many as 6 or 8 packs for continuous operation might be difficult to sell, but having access to the wide range of 18v and 36v tools could compensate for that.

Well, that wouldnt be a problem for people like me who have ten of 5Ah Makita batteries. Then again, I know im in a very small minority.

1 hour ago, aessu said:

I'd rather have Makita bringing out a 8 and a 12 amp 21700 celled battery sized like Bosch's procore. Then they could stay at X2  while having ( to my guess ) easily the same power and runtime then an x4 setup with the current batteries

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, marsh942 said:

I very much like Festool approach to x2 tools.

Works with One or Two batteries and you could mix and match any of their batteries without limit.

Wished Makita took this approach. For light duty / reguliary jobs use of 18v and when need extra power plug another battery and have the same tool at 36v.

I really think that this is the most convenient approach for on the move working tradesman.  

This implementation as they described wouldn’t necessarily be badged “X4” though...since it’s series-parallel the operating voltage will still be 36V. Have to wonder if that also means you could run it still with just two batteries. Hmm...

So sounds like the new back pack x4 setup is actually 2 x2 setups in one backpack. connects to an x2 tool but only draws from 2 batteries at one time.

Also an x2 abrasive cutoff saw is coming and is a full 14 inches. It is also 3800 rpm. I think it could be handy but I am guessing it is quite the power hog if it is a 14 inch wheel.