What will Makita come out with next?

Jronman

On 4/30/2018 at 7:24 AM, Jronman said:

Makita has one of the faster charge times. a 5.0 in 45 minutes isn't too bad. A few minutes faster than my flexvolt charger.

Not in reality. I did a test the other day. I drained a 3, 4, 5 and 6 ah battery the other day and the 5 took 30 minutes longer than that. Only the 3 managed to come in at the advertised time. All others were way off.

18 minutes ago, Tools & Stuff said:

Not in reality. I did a test the other day. I drained a 3, 4, 5 and 6 ah battery the other day and the 5 took 30 minutes longer than that. Only the 3 managed to come in at the advertised time. All others were way off.

That's most likely because you drained em and they were too hot.

Every decent charger ( of every brand ) first cools down the cells to a reasonable temperate to charge em. Charging too heated cells causes premature wear.

If you charge cool batteries that's the only time advertised charge times will be correct.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Every decent charger ( of every brand ) first cools down the cells to a reasonable temperate to charge em. Charging too heated cells causes premature wear.

If you charge cool batteries that's the only time advertised charge times will be correct.

This or something else has to be a big contributor for numbers going that far off, especially a 5Ah taking a full 30 minutes longer than advertised. I’ve never thought to bother timing my batteries but if my 5Ah ever took that much longer than they were supposed to I sure as hell would have noticed.

The advertised charge times for the most part go up linearly with total battery capacity, suggesting the same current rate is going into the cells regardless of capacity. This makes perfect sense whether the limiting factor is all these cells being the same size or the charger simply operating at its current limit. Either way no shortage of other users report them coming in at the advertised time.

Thinking on this further, it will be interesting to see if Makita will need/want an updated charger that can/will put higher charge currents into the upcoming larger cells that in theory should be able to handle it.

2 hours ago, ToolBane said:

This or something else has to be a big contributor for numbers going that far off, especially a 5Ah taking a full 30 minutes longer than advertised. I’ve never thought to bother timing my batteries but if my 5Ah ever took that much longer than they were supposed to I sure as hell would have noticed.

The advertised charge times for the most part go up linearly with total battery capacity, suggesting the same current rate is going into the cells regardless of capacity. This makes perfect sense whether the limiting factor is all these cells being the same size or the charger simply operating at its current limit. Either way no shortage of other users report them coming in at the advertised time.

Thinking on this further, it will be interesting to see if Makita will need/want an updated charger that can/will put higher charge currents into the upcoming larger cells that in theory should be able to handle it.

Dc18rf is out in japan. 40 minutes for a full charge of 6 amp. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 8:07 AM, kornomaniac said:

But in the real world on a jobsite you use the tool and chuck the battery straight on the charger when it dies. The cooling light never came on. I tested all my batteries the same way and only the 3ah came in close to Makitas stated time. I filmed it for a vid I will have up on YT soon.

7 hours ago, Tools & Stuff said:

But in the real world on a jobsite you use the tool and chuck the battery straight on the charger when it dies. 

Of course but that's true for every battery and charger system out there. Since it is completly un-impossible to have people compare charging times after batteries being in use ( cause everyone used them differently ) the only real metric you can compare is :

How long does a cooled down battery to take to charge. 

And that's what charge times that manufacturer s claim tell us. 

Nothing more and nothing less

• Like 2

Are charge times really an issue in the real world? If it were me, I would make sure to have enough charged batteries in queue to buffer and counter the charge times. Now if one chews through a bunch of batteries faster than your charger can charge, then I would think a cordless solution is not ideal.

I'm just a home DIYer and realize things are much easier in an environment where you don't have to lug batteries/toolboxes around and worry about theft - in other words, forgive me if I'm ignorant.

• Like 1

Im honestly satisfied with the 6ah batteries, for a portable tool I really don't want to have a physically larger battery attached to the tool.  What I want to see is larger capacity compact batteries!  Lets get some compact 3ah batteries!

More and more I find my self using the compacts for my day to day drill/drivers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2017 at 1:35 AM, kornomaniac said:

58v batteries for a new pro OPE line confirmed !

So I was pondering this again. Just some wild speculation...but, any chance Makita releases a 58V OPE line, the batteries have some type of multi volt capability, and the reason we are seeing new X2 tools with wider spacing at the batteries is because they are designing these tools to be forward compatible with a future, wider 18V/58V multi volt battery?

Anyone?

I am intrigued as well. Like one big pack that would engage in both slots of X2 tools? But I wonder why 58V in the first place? 3x18V would be 54V. Kornomaniac its been over a year you first reported about 58V do you have any update?

That's what I was thinking as well - a larger single pack that fits both x2 slots. One of the challenges I see with this super battery is the level of effort required for battery installation/removal. I could potentially see it incorporating a single push button unlocking mechanism, but the force required to overcome the friction of the current slide-in design would be high (especially if it is a high vibration tool with silicone(?) dampers in the battery well). On my x2 brushed rotary hammer, I practically need a rubber mallet to remove the batteries when it heats up... imagine if that were a single large battery.

I know it's comparing apples & oranges, but EGO's 56V OPE tools allows for a one handed battery removal - that's a nice design, but not necessarily ideal for some hand held power tools.

13 hours ago, Martin said:

But I wonder why 58V in the first place? 3x18V would be 54V. Kornomaniac its been over a year you first reported about 58V do you have any update?

DeWalt flexvolt batteries are 20V/60V max. Which is the same as 18V/58V.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, bee-man said:

Are charge times really an issue in the real world? If it were me, I would make sure to have enough charged batteries in queue to buffer and counter the charge times. Now if one chews through a bunch of batteries faster than your charger can charge, then I would think a cordless solution is not ideal.

I'm just a home DIYer and realize things are much easier in an environment where you don't have to lug batteries/toolboxes around and worry about theft - in other words, forgive me if I'm ignorant.

Totally hear what you're saying, as most applications the charge time probably isn't relevant. However, depending on what you're doing... I.E. demo, treated cutting, etc., it could come into play. Most people don't want buy more batteries at $100.00 apiece... so I can see this argument both ways.  

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking as well - a larger single pack that fits both x2 slots. One of the challenges I see with this super battery is the level of effort required for battery installation/removal. I could potentially see it incorporating a single push button unlocking mechanism, but the force required to overcome the friction of the current slide-in design would be high (especially if it is a high vibration tool with silicone(?) dampers in the battery well). On my x2 brushed rotary hammer, I practically need a rubber mallet to remove the batteries when it heats up... imagine if that were a single large battery.

I know it's comparing apples & oranges, but EGO's 56V OPE tools allows for a one handed battery removal - that's a nice design, but not necessarily ideal for some hand held power tools.

Makita already had a 36v, then they had an adapter for 2x 18v , then they just switched to 2x 18v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk908d294062f9b33716fd3975720fa380.jpg

As a guy that’s almost certainly never going to buy the tools in question, and will therefore never have to deal with the consequences of whatever ridiculous idea I might spout, I think “X3” might actually be kinda funky just to see. What few tools they’d explicitly want the extra voltage would probably be large enough that it wouldn’t be a huge problem fitting 3 or even 4 batteries on I would think. Table saws, lawn mowers...those kinds of things.

Nope nothing new. Just some more confirmation from and the Japanese dude leading g makita in Belgium that is coming. He couldn't even confirm me the voltage. Could be 58 or 60 or 62 or whatever.  I wouldn't expect any compatability between these OPE tools and existing 18v models. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, HiltiWpg said:

Makita already had a 36v, then they had an adapter for 2x 18v , then they just switched to 2x 18v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize Makita had the single 36V; however, I was thinking more along the lines of a new single high capacity 36V battery that fits the x2 tools (like Martin mentioned). There is a lot of wasted space between the 18Vx2 batteries that could be consumed by a single battery. How's about this... a flexvolt type of 72V/36V battery that could be shared between the x2 tools and the rumored new pro OPE line of tools. Just thinking out loud. Only problem is that kornomaniac confirms 58V...

Toolbane, I wouldn't be surprised if Makita had played with x3 or x4 prototypes at some point in time. Would be neat to see; however, I think swapping 4 batteries on one tool could be excessive. You know us Americans have to uphold our image of being lazy, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bee-man said:

You know us Americans have to uphold our image of being lazy, lol.

My dad used to own a Black and Decker drill and you didn't even have to remove the battery from the drill to charge it. One less step means even more lazy haha.

7 hours ago, bee-man said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Makita had played with x3 or x4 prototypes at some point in time. Would be neat to see; however, I think swapping 4 batteries on one tool could be excessive. You know us Americans have to uphold our image of being lazy, lol.

Something like this?

makita-x4-backpack-blower.jpg

• Like 1