60v grinder... Is Dan right about the nut?

Biggie

So I have a 60v grinder and anytime I swap blades I can't help but think what a pain in the butt the nut is with that spring deal.  You can't just spin the nut on freely and then give it the last half turn to lock it because it has slight resistance for a couple of turns. I think I've watched about every youtube video on the 60v grinder and I've never heard mention of why dewalt decided to reinvent the wheel until yesterday when Dan and Eric released their review.  According to the them its designed so that as the grinder is spinning you push the locking pin and the nut will release itself.  Which I think would be really hard on the tool being that I've wore out locking mechanisms without trying to engage them while the tool is running.  Not that I don't believe "a couple guys in a garage" but has anyone else heard of this or can Dan or Eric confirm if they got this info direct from Dewalt? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't press the wheel locking button unless trigger is in the off position. I also wouldn't press the button when the wheel is at full speed either. I wouldn't think at the speed the wheel was going in the video much would happen to the wheel lock button. I'm not grinder expert so I wouldn't take my word for it. I have only used a grinder a handful of times.

Right or wrong all I do is grab the blade and turn it tight.  The only time I use a tool is in a rare situation that the nut is too tight to spin back off by hand.  I've used a grinder daily for the last 15 years and I've never had one come off.  I'm not saying it never could or that it's the safest practice but I think most people using a grinder on a regular basis in the field aren't carrying around a little wrench in their pocket, maybe in a shop but even then I don't.

Same here, @Biggie I always just tighten and loosen blades by hand while wearing gloves so I don't cut up my hands. It has worked for me and I don't think I have ever had a spanner wrench.... 

The little flip up tab on my Milwaukee could break off for all it mattered and I wouldn't even notice haha 

Definitely wouldn't want to pushing the lock button while it's still spinning, I seen heaps of grinders break from doing that. Chunking metal sounds are never good. It's easy enough to get Thur nut off by hand. 

Definitely wouldn't want to be grinding so close to cars like at the start of the video either, you'll get little burn marks in the paint, it will cause rust spots. What are they thinking ? 

I find it hard to believe.  From a common sense standpoint, that doesn't stand up.  From a liability standpoint, DeWalt has too many lawyers to let them do that.

I always put wheels on by hand.  I would never push the locking button while the tool is running.  Or even winding down.

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

The idea is nice but why re invent the wheel, just something else to break, not that hard to take it off

Yep, my point is they're all dumb in their own ways lol.

13 hours ago, Jronman said:

Everything breaks except the tab?

No, the grinder is great, the tab on that nut feels like a piece of crap and is a $30 CAD part. My point is they all have some fairly stupid features (I like the idea, not thrilled at the implementation). 

6 hours ago, Bremon said:

I don't like the idea on either grinder. I don't care what colour it is. 

My thoughts too. If they remove it that way, why not just leave the nut a little loose, switch it on and let the motor spin the arbor bolt into the stationary nut... BAM that nut would be on their solid!!!

• Like 2

I guess I've never had the flexvolt or metabo open to see the inside but any grinder I've ever had apart just has two holes in the gear and when you push the pin into one of those holes it stops it from turning.  So now your trying to slip that pin in a hole as it's spinning and you would think that metal on metal has to wear something out in time.  But I'm no engineer and that's why they get paid the big bucks.  Just the same don't think I'll be pushing that pin in as it's spinning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

You mean you guys don't slam your transmission into park when you want to get out of your vehicle quickly and efficiently? ? 

I've put it in what I thought was park once, hopped out and the truck started driving in reverse!! Fortunately a couple good guys were nearby and hollered at me right away and i got it stopped in time

Think dry firing a bow vs. shooting an arrow. Dry fire a bow and it will ruin it in a hurry because the inertia has no where to go and so the bow will tear itself apart. Shoot an arrow and it carries all the energy and it can be useful. If you go using the latch to stop your grinder without anything on it it will treat it up. With the nut on it, the nut will absorb the energy and back itself off. Regular grinders with regular nuts make it a piss poor idea to try it. They weren't designed that way. If you don't want to utilize improvements in tool technology, that's no skin off my back so I won't judge.

• Like 2