Raising the Flag

Conductor562

Our house had a 26-28' flag pole in the front yard when we moved in. Problem is, the halyard was gone. We've always planned on restringing it, but just never got around to it.

Today I decided to give it a go. Probably not the best day to do it with a 20 mph wind, but we made do.

IMG_7453.thumb.JPG.aca880c1f5fd0cb1edec09f5e264c186.JPG

Without getting a lift, there just wasn't a good way to go about it. I've got a 24' ladder, but the pole is pretty wobbly when you get higher up. I basically put a hook on the end of the rope, fed it through the eye bolt at the top, and used another stick with an eye bolt on the end to pull it down.

IMG_7454.thumb.JPG.88e9fd53684882e7e5f19e2e30d4dcf0.JPG

IMG_7456.thumb.JPG.3e2e1fdda5102e5f12a332b42f7907da.JPG

This sounds easier than it was, mostly because of the wind, but it definitely took some trial and error.

• Like 3

After an hour or so, we finally got it to work. I had to do about 4 rungs higher than I am in the pic, but at that point my photographer was helping hold the ladder.

IMG_7458.thumb.JPG.b81326c75dd6d609634175d51327ea98.JPG

It wasn't one of my favorite jobs, but in the end I think it was worth it. I'll change the halyard out every year to be safe.

IMG_7457.thumb.JPG.d8fbcd2f32530670a91e7cd062fb10e6.JPG

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Our house had a 26-28' flag pole in the front yard when we moved in. Problem is, the halyard was gone. We've always planned on restringing it, but just never got around to it.

Today I decided to give it a go. Probably not the best day to do it with a 20 mph wind, but we made do.

IMG_7453.thumb.JPG.aca880c1f5fd0cb1edec09f5e264c186.JPG

Without getting a lift, there just wasn't a good way to go about it. I've got a 24' ladder, but the pole is pretty wobbly when you get higher up. I basically put a hook on the end of the rope, fed it through the eye bolt at the top, and used another stick with an eye bolt on the end to pull it down.

IMG_7454.thumb.JPG.88e9fd53684882e7e5f19e2e30d4dcf0.JPG

IMG_7456.thumb.JPG.3e2e1fdda5102e5f12a332b42f7907da.JPG

This sounds easier than it was, mostly because of the wind, but it definitely took some trial and error.

Beautiful property and views and a house came with it? 

@KnarlyCarl: It did make for a good pic didn't it. It was $25 well spent. 

@SetBuilder: There are some perks to living in West Virginia. We lucked out and got property (with a house) that was cut off a family farm and would have never came up for sale had it not been for a divorce. We're on top of on of the highest points in the county. Can't get any pics tonight, but even on a Remotely clear day I can see a good 40-50 miles out my back window. I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

@KnarlyCarl: It did make for a good pic didn't it. It was $25 well spent. 

@SetBuilder: There are some perks to living in West Virginia. We lucked out and got property (with a house) that was cut off a family farm and would have never came up for sale had it not been for a divorce. We're on top of on of the highest points in the county. Can't get any pics tonight, but even on a Remotely clear day I can see a good 40-50 miles out my back window. I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow. 

How far are you from Webster springs WV? I have a friend whose family runs a Timbersports show there every Memorial day weekend. http://www.woodchoppingfestival.org.

I competed there once in the B division. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SetBuilder said:

How far are you from Webster springs WV? I have a friend whose family runs a Timbersports show there every Memorial day weekend. http://www.woodchoppingfestival.org.

I competed there once in the B division. 

Cool. I'm just a tad NW of Charleston. Probably 2 hours from Webster Springs. That's a nice area if you're into the outdoors. Lots and lots of Protected State and National Forest over in that area.

2 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Cool. I'm just a tad NW of Charleston. Probably 2 hours from Webster Springs. That's a nice area if you're into the outdoors. Lots and lots of Protected State and National Forest over in that area.

My friend lives in Hamlin but works in Charleston, small world. When I lived on the east coast I used to head down that way to chop with them.

4 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

My friend lives in Hamlin but works in Charleston, small world. When I lived on the east coast I used to head down that way to chop with them.

I'm not too far from Hamlin (neighboring county). Closest town to me is Buffalo (Putnam County). Hamlin is in our conference, so we play ball over there a couple times a year at the middle school/old high school. I know a lot of people in that area. 

I'm really digging this flag. I have a West Virginia flag for WV Day (June 20th), and a POW MIA flag for Memorial Day. 

Also found an app the sends out alerts when it's supposed to be at half mast. Having a brother that's a cop, I may get a thin blue line flag for those unfortunate occasions too.

• Like 2