Tool modifications

BMack37

Sort of in the spirit of Comp's thread about tips, let's see your tool mods. Can be power tools, bags, boxes, or whatever. We have a clever bunch here so let's share ours and maybe we'll come across something someone else can use or possibly brainstorm to make an idea better. @KnarlyCarl has a good reciprocating saw mod he's working on perfecting. I'll post some of mine later. As you'll see with mine, they don't need to be genius ideas or big game-changers. Sometimes the simple things can make our lives a little bit easier.

Comp's tips thread: http://forum.toolsinaction.com/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/&

2 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

We all have magnetic pickup tools but ever drop a screw in a spot that the magnetic tool just can't get to? A piece of wire with a rare earth magnet glued on it will work:

Rqxay7G.jpg

esPlCiv.jpg

KDggHEN.jpg

Now that is a slick idea!

• Like 1

This is my new tool bag, it's designed to have a plastic organizer in a middle section.

51+gjA-kbML.jpg

I decided to use that section for my leads and DMM. This created a couple problems.

The velcro strap was too long:

So to shorten the strap, fold it and sew it with an awl. Then, if you decide you want to use it as intended just cut the waxed thread

cfLY5T6.jpg

Ub2aees.jpg

That leaves the problem with the handles, to grab the handles from the bag resting or off your shoulder, you have to grab each individually. Paracord to the rescue

aPegxsB.jpg

The tool loops are too big and too high for PB Swiss' tiny (regular sized) screwdrivers. Use a strip of nylon(maybe a dog leash) and use the sewing awl to attach it underneath and boom, they stay put.

6HHOdUC.jpg

Needed a M12 bit holder.

Took a cheap Kobalt driver set, used a lighter to heat up a razor blade and cut out the plastic.

1u8uCLD.jpg

Used plastic shears to cut the plastic to size. It turned out to hold the bit too lose so I painted it with aerosol bed liner. Used another piece of plastic to shim the piece over the black overmold on the drill.

3o1dU5u.jpg

fgZwrb4.jpg

18 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Now that is a slick idea!

Thanks!

I like those tiny magnets a lot. One thing I do is print out charts such as the Kreg chart, drill/tap chart, metric to SAE chart, etc. Then I use clear packing tape to "laminate" it. Glue four of these tiny magnets onto the corners and they stick right on the side of a tool box but easily pull off for reference.

5 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Thanks!

I like those tiny magnets a lot. One thing I do is print out charts such as the Kreg chart, drill/tap chart, metric to SAE chart, etc. Then I use clear packing tape to "laminate" it. Glue four of these tiny magnets onto the corners and they stick right on the side of a tool box but easily pull off for reference.

I do the same shit only I have a laminator. Black Friday yielded one for next to nothing. I lost the drill & tap chart for my Mac kit, so I just made my own. Also made a Norseman version I keep taped inside the lid of my box. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

I do the same shit only I have a laminator. Black Friday yielded one for next to nothing. I lost the drill & tap chart for my Mac kit, so I just made my own. Also made a Norseman version I keep taped inside the lid of my box. 

Great minds think alike. I use the Starrett charts.

• Like 1

i love this thread already... 

as far as my mod, i know, i meant to explain that in detail, but still working on it, haven't exactly had free time just waiting for me to use, I was amazed as it was having a little time open up to do this haha

I just have a few videos right now..

• Like 1

Some models of Fluke have turn-on modes but on some models it's on the back but under the yellow holster, some don't have them anywhere on the DMM. So I printed the list of the useful functions, laminated it with packing tape and glued it to the back.

IHtlanQ.jpg

hNcvCRZ.jpg

My two favorite tool mods are Festool related.

The first is for the MFT/1080 table.  The track flips up out of the way so you can lay your wood on the table. But this means you need to find a place to sit the saw first.

So I made a clip  (shiny black piece) that slides in the bottom rail extrusion and uses same bolt hole as the hinge. When the saw is slide forward it holds the saw to the track so you can flip the track up and saw stays.

post.thumb.jpg.05f948990840b8a6c019af6cea372df0.jpg

Not a great picture but this is a replacement label for my TS55 saw. The saw had two issues for me from the factory. First the label is in metric, and second the "0" mark is calibrated with the saw off the track. So you had to set the saw whatever depth cut you want plus 2 mm. to compensate for the track thickness.

So I calculated the settings along the arc and created a label in CAD and started printing labels. So the label is in inches now but you can zero it when you install.

Not only does my saw have one of these but 600 other people around the world. Also did router labels.

Festool wised up on the newer REQ models and supplied a label in imperial with two scales for on/off track. 

ts55yellow.thumb.jpg.ba8f646ad1b26016c4e1ee9473c60461.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 0:43 AM, BMack37 said:

Needed a M12 bit holder.

Took a cheap Kobalt driver set, used a lighter to heat up a razor blade and cut out the plastic.

Used plastic shears to cut the plastic to size. It turned out to hold the bit too lose so I painted it with aerosol bed liner. Used another piece of plastic to shim the piece over the black overmold on the drill.fgZwrb4.jpg

This lasted almost 3 months. The problem is that I store my drill in my bag so it gets banged around. So I changed the design...

That was my second attempt, this is my third attempt:

First I bought a 1/4" square to 1/4" hex magnetic adapter. I wanted magnetic because the retaining ring doesn't work well on bits that are bigger than 1". I bought this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040UBLO0

8199qz9-T8L._SL1500_.jpg

The hole fits the screw perfectly, the head cannot pass through. I used a 5/32 drill bit on the opposite side so the head can pass through, then beveled to clean the hole up. I used the rotary tool to grind a slot so the overmold can help keep the bit from turning. Added some locktite to the treads and it's done.

YCy3rMz.jpg

UbktZAr.jpg

CCbpKMm.jpg

Should have done this to begin with, it was really easy to do. Hope it may help someone...we'll have to come up with something new for the gen2.