Woodworking benches

rrich1

Well I would like to build a traditional bench with some old world joinery. The more I learn the more I realize I dont know what I am doing and why some of my other benches failed.

I am watching Rob Cosmans series on building a workbench which is 170 videos that are 1/2 hour long.  Maybe after watching that I will go back to designing one that will work for me that needs to be wider than his.

Yours looks great.  I am impressed with your plane work for the limited experience you say you have with it. Really impressed !

Well I would like to build a traditional bench with some old world joinery. The more I learn the more I realize I dont know what I am doing and why some of my other benches failed.

I am watching Rob Cosmans series on building a workbench which is 170 videos that are 1/2 hour long.  Maybe after watching that I will go back to designing one that will work for me that needs to be wider than his.

Yours looks great.  I am impressed with your plane work for the limited experience you say you have with it. Really impressed !

I've heard good things about Chris Schwartz bench books as well for more information. I've watched a few of Rob's videos online. Pretty informative. I'm trying to keep mechanical fasteners out of the bench. I want to glue the half laps and dowel them in for strength.

Thanks. Once I actually realized how the plane needed to be set up and adjusted when used it was pretty simple to figure out.

I'm contemplating the bench crafted criss cross but now I am not sure since ill be using half laps on the legs. I don't know if that will leave me with enough room or not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hard to beat benchcrafted stuff.  I have their Moxon which is a nice but the major drawback of the threads sticking out.

I am pretty sure I am going to outfit my bench with a closes tail vise like Robs current bench.  In the first video of this series he shows his previous tail vises and what was wrong with them.  Hard to say at this point as I dont see myself doing as much hand tool stuff as he does.

• Like 1

More progress today before I had to stop and pressure wash the deck.

I got all but one of the half laps joints spot on. First time doing them and it wasn't even the first one that I screwed up. [emoji17] 3fb55cd1eaa7ab476086e9b980d0b826.jpg51c7659f344d9c3dad422ecce45eaf7e.jpg19233b3952ee1ddd63a8344b3b753c2f.jpg69aa77f3236469471a09e5b5d74c2d58.jpg

• Like 4

Got the bench on it's feet today. It's tall at over 37". Before glueing and doweling in the legs I'll decide if I want it lower.

The mortis have tear out on each but the hickory lines match up damn near perfect! Not bad for a first timer and hand plane use! Tenon's are still long at the moment.

I also got the hickory hub glued, jointed, and planed and ready to be cut for the leg vise hub. Glued up the hickory for the nut today as well.a4de1d57cda2b582643ced2c4ca573c5.jpg3de37079abef11a3192e0ed40ebc8cc4.jpg4c36155a9d750ef47e8e86631ebd359c.jpg53dafbf731c00d808cf4f53326dbc272.jpg9ef525e7d43a40b82b0df8d1b59d3bc3.jpg

• Like 3

OK, its been 10 minutes. Are you done yet?

I want to see it painted [emoji4]

Lol. Work tonight. I'm debating trying to film it and post a video on YouTube. If so that will slow things down a bit. Cool thing is I just found out a friend of mine has a sand blaster and he said I could use it. Boom!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Drilled dog holes into my workbench. I used the layout based off of Shannon Rogers recommendation. I put a slight round over on the holes.

I also made a hole in one of the legs for the veritas quick clamp. I made the hole deeper than needed and then using a hole saw I made a plug. I drilled a hole for a magnet and pressure fit it into the plug. I then super glued the plug in. This allows for very easy removal and placing it back. http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/guide-to-workbench-dog-hole-placement/.fe306f48d50de3b35a4c1d3af9cc9c22.jpg42ceaac90843c5ee6e1673fc362fe934.jpg457fab0ac5e9d6b6ce648d6d481fa763.jpgd5119b78f7ec166593ff041d3e51d05a.jpg8a8db59128aebcb01c5214260137df45.jpg

• Like 2