Who else would like a Flexvolt Table Saw Version 2.0?

Trim guy

• 2 years later...

A 10” table saw seems like the perfect application for a pair of Flexvolt batteries, even more than the 12” miter. Dewalt was marketing the potential of 120V battery power kinda hard for a minute so it’s odd they’ve just kinda dropped the notion entirely.

Dewalt per usual waits for other manufacturers to create leading edge designs for them to rip from. Flexvolt was the only time in the last, what, 15 years that hasn't been the case and they've done practically nothing with it since. Who wants to own the market and take majority share when we can struggle to keep up. 🙄🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

Personally I don't need a 10 in and don't see why one needs to be released. The current Flexvolt table saw is big enough. How many times am I going to need a 10 in table saw? 99% of the time you probably aren't cutting anything more than 2-1/2 inches which the flexvolt is more than capable.

• Like 1

@Hugh Jass..dewalt rips off others? Your a nice guy but seriously. They lead the pack with sds max cordless..(2”) plus, mitre saws, table saws, circular saws, rear handle saws, even the dcd996 is a top 2 hd drill and it’s years old. ...heck the dcf887 still is a top 3 impact...

Dewalt cordless  compact jigsaws and sanders are top notch. The cordless router just won on “ tool box buzz channel”.

Even Makita is going to a brand new  40v tool system to compete with flexvolt, because the X2 (36v) can’t, and Milwaukee isn’t close.

What about the cordless compressor which is amazing and class leading, ? All the cordless guns are good, took Milwaukee a gen 2 to be as good...What about one of the best inventions ever, the dcb1800 power inverter..everyone copies it now...Flexvolt is still unmatched...

I get frustrated with slow tool releases, but when dewalt does a tool it generally is the best for years....

• Thanks 1

I run DeWALT 20v max/flexvolt, Ego residential/commercial, m12, and Festool 18v/18vx2. As much as some would like DeWALT to be the best in everything it just isn't. There is video evidence that X2 and M18 High Output can compete with DeWALT Flexvolt. X2 could in theory be industry leading if it went to 21700 cells because of the extra 5 cells (excluding the flex miter). The DCB1800 at the time didn't really have anything like it but Ego decided to make their take on the power station and have created arguably the best option out there (if you have their batteries): Over 2000 watts, 3 120v plugs, 2 usb a, and can provide power with less than 4 batteries. The DeWALT router got many things right but one flaw it had was the depth adjustment. Having the depth move on me when it is supposedly locked is an unacceptable issue for a tool from a professional tool brand. It is one thing if the Ryobi they tested didn't keep its depth setting because you would expect it to have lower accuracy based on the tool's price point. Milwaukee even got it right and they have never created a trim router before. My theory for the addition of Makita 40v max is form factor. One battery is more compact than two. The new battery line to me seems like Makita is trying to make subcompact high demand tools that would not be possible with a dual battery platform.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jronman said:

The DeWALT router got many things right but one flaw it had was the depth adjustment. Having the depth move on me when it is supposedly locked is an unacceptable issue for a tool from a professional tool brand. It is one thing if the Ryobi they tested didn't keep its depth setting because you would expect it to have lower accuracy based on the tool's price point. Milwaukee even got it right and they have never created a trim router before. My theory for the addition of Makita 40v max is form factor. One battery is more compact than two. The new battery line to me seems like Makita is trying to make subcompact high demand tools that would not be possible with a dual battery platform.

What I find especially funny about the Milwaukee router is that, like the Ridgid, it’s actually little more than an upgraded redesign of the $70 Ryobi used in the same test...that is actually several years old. Ryobi and Ridgid sharing parts and such is nothing new, but Milwaukee and Ryobi sharing such is a little more surprising. But if the Ryobi’s old adjustment mechanism still ends up superior to this brand new Dewalt’s, it’s hard to fault Milwaukee for using it as well.

@Jronman...bro, your a funny guy, video evidence...I live in the real world of framing. There is video evidence of the 887 smoking on VCG videos, yet I’ve never seen it happen by anYone or any other channel in four years.or the ten I have.. ..is the makita rear handle circ good,yes, as good as flexvolt,no.

Milwaukee fans would love to tell ya the “New gen whatever“ circ or rear handle matches flexvolt, but sorry it bogs down and shuts off...

The ego power source is ten times the cost of the dcb1800, which is on sale many times for 199...c,mon..yes and you can buy a Honda 2000i real generator for the same price. 
  Never said Dewalt is the best at everything, but for framing/ remodeling/ construction it is. Milwaukee rules for plumbing, hvac,mechanics and sawzalls. Makita has great all around tools, lots of them, but now has multiple platforms. Festool is great but it’s not on par with my Mafell stuff either. Every company has good products and bad. 
    As I’ve always said, we run 3 vans , 1 full of each brand. Makita, dewalt,Milwaukee. I buy the tools for each owner and run their companies..I have a lot of experience with these tools everyday, not kinda, not part time, not in my garage, cranking out new homes every day, 15-20 guys per crew...I don’t own much festool, midi vac, cordless sander, rotex...it won’t hold up to framing abuse,  but for finish work it’s probably the best along with grex pneumatic guns.

Tool box buzz, workshop addict,Oz tools, Skill builder all do tests on this stuff and dewalt is always top 3...besides what 45 professional framers say everyday.

Framer joe you come across as arrogant. Please do not get upset but the more you forcefully insist Dewalt is the best the weaker the argument. The louder you scream the less believable you are. The tool with the most power is not always the best. For instance rear handled circ saws. You like the dewalt. its power is unmatched. The Makita has more power than corded(enough for most). It’s lighter, better balenced, has more capacity, and better run time. I think people can make their own decision on which is better. I like some Dewalt like the few routers(elu) made in Europe. The table saws with their rack and pinion( although some competitors have better non slipping versions). Personally I do not like dewalts impacts too much wobble in the chuck. I like dewalts drills. I have a couple of smart point nail guns that are good bang for the buck. I do not like the battery nail guns too much recoil for finish guns. Some areas Dewalt can improve upon, batteries that fit tighter, actually make some flexvolt tools that have a corded option besides one, soft start to their flagship scms and finally get rid of the bushing on one of the rails and have 2 sets of guide bearings like real saws have to eliminate sticky rails, it’s a framer. They finally seemed to have upgraded the pathetic cordless multi tool. Why not make the flexvolt compressor a quiet compressor. I hope they get us USA folks the dcs727(hope for no guide bushing in one rail). 

@Framer joe Most of my tools are DeWALT. I maybe have not had the years of experience of using DeWALT as you have but in the short 3 years I have been using the brand I have experienced failed/faulty DeWALT products. I have had a failed 20v omt, 2 failed flexvolt batteries, a fast charger with a bad fan, and an 887 (which has been an awesome tool) that currently has trigger issues. Would I buy DeWALT again? of course. DeWALT is a great brand and so are many other brands. Speaking of video proof, I will pick from one of the channels you listed. In a Tool Box Buzz video on Concord Carpenters channel, a Flexvolt tool lost to both an x2 tool and an M18 tool. I'm not trying to hate on DeWALT, I'm also not trying to put DEWALT higher than other pro tool brands or say their stuff is always at or near the top. DeWALT does have products that fail, that have flaws, or that perform worse... and I could say the same about every other brand. I wish we could go back to the days of being able to joke about MORE POWA without having to talk poorly about other brands.

I was primarily Dewalt most of my life but as soon as I went cordless I wasn’t going to be interested in any platforms that gamed their customers with major format changes etc. Which I expected from some of them not just because there was sure to be flux over the years as battery technology got better but because corporations know how to make a killing exploiting customer loyalty. Designed obsolescence, needless format changes, wanky marketing etc...it’s all over the modern tool market and consumers do themselves a disservice refusing to acknowledge and be mindful of that.

Relative to some of the other major players in the market, Makita simply struck as more stable than the usual suspects by those metrics. Even contrary to what some people are getting skittish about with this new XGT platform, I don’t see Makita gaming anyone with it so much as simply having a parallel platform that accommodates the particular desires of some of their customer base. More important than that though, Makita also struck as more precision-oriented (or perhaps carpenter-friendly), which solved another shortcoming I always experienced with Dewalt. I get much cleaner results with Makita more consistently with less toiling. So the platform has lived up to my needs. I don’t need the mega-gootchie Mafell or Festool stuff. I have enough hobbies I spend too much money on and would prefer to steer clear of even more tools I never knew I needed.

Dewalt has its primary customer base which is obviously framing and construction. It’s good for businesses to have products optimized for their needs but ultimately Dewalt is not the best platform for most of my needs and quite possibly even most of their consumer base, who like me in my younger years simply bought it because people I knew (my dad, in this case) did. Not being able to get better than 1/8” precision without constantly recalibrating tools doesn’t matter when framing houses but it’s obnoxious when trying to build indoor furniture etc. So it was great that I broke out and researched the market before deciding on my primary platform.

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2017 at 12:00 AM, The.Handyman said:

120v 10" Table saw is coming before the end of the year.

That is my prediction.

I have been waiting and hoping for 10" dial flexvolt table saw to go with my 12" dual flexvolt mitre saw. I love the mitre saw, and the cord adapter really completes the picture. Now its almost 2021 and still nothing. Losing hope.

• 3 weeks later...