Ryobi Brushless Angle Grinder

Rammstein2609

Is there a price on this yet? I am pretty sure their brushed model sells for around $40.00... so this might be double that? Not a huge Ryobi expert, but it sure seem that they have been really stepping up their game with the cordless tools.

FB82

7 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

looks like a 4.5, doubtful it would be any other size.

Yeah, it's a 4.5" or 115mm diameter disc.  Anything larger would be classed as 'Trade/Professional' and remember Ryobi are a DIY/Homeowner brand.

Not sure on price yet but it will obviously carry a premium over the brushed model.

M

• 5 months later...

So I have been really wanting the Ryobi brushless angle grinder, I even looked for one in England a few months ago on a business trip, but did not have success. I instead went out and got the older P4221 brushed version I believe the price had just dropped to $29. It was a good tool and I enjoyed using it due to it's convenience but with 6500RPM and limited torq it was defiantly less powerful than a plug in grinder. It also had a way of burning through a battery quick, even the big 4Ah ones.

Well Good News... I picked up the new P423 Brushless grinder from Home Depot today. They were actually running a special on HDs web sight where if you get the P251 Brushless hammer drill  starter pack with the 4Ah battery for $150 you get to choose another bare tool for free So I got the new $99 Brushless grinder for free.

The P423 Brushless grinder came with a grinding wheel, cutoff wheel, and 2 blade guards. One is open on the bottom like most grinders and the second is shrouded covering most of the bottom of the blade area as well. The position of the guard is easily changed by pressing a button and then as you rotate it there are detentes it clicks in to. The new tool is about 1-3/4" shorter in length than the old tool.The new one spins at 10400RPM which is nearly twice as fast as the prior model. The new one has a top mounted locking slide on switch like many other grinders have whereas the old version just has a hold down non locking trigger. They carried over the holder for the blade changing wrench in the handle found on the previous model, which I really like. When using it, it feels like it has the power of a plug in grinder. So far I am really impressed with it.

One down side the the new grinder is it seems to have a very slight parasitic draw when off. ~0.5mA which is not a lot, but is enough to discharge a big 4Ah battery within a year if just sitting on the shelf doing nothing. The brushless drill does not exhibit this behavior.

It looks like they are releasing the P508 7-1/4 brushless circular saw for Black Friday. I tried to pick one up in store after ordering online as it showed every store near me  had 3 in stock but the store called me to say they could not do it and canceled my order. I replaced it online with them shipping it to my home, we will see if that goes through.

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

• Thanks 1