Makita soft impact

SetBuilder

A buddy of mine just picked this up. I'm really not sure what to make yet... I drove in about 6 2in drywall screws into a bunch of stacked 1 x3s. I never heard it "impact" It just drive them in like I was using a drill. It was kind of weird as depending on the setting it would just stop when the torque was met. It is a sweet gun compared to a regular 1/4 in impact gun.  It id definitely quieter that the Milwaukee Surge.

A buddy of mine just picked this up. I'm really not sure what to make yet... I drove in about 6 2in drywall screws into a bunch of stacked 1 x3s. I never heard it "impact" It just drive them in like I was using a drill. It was kind of weird as depending on the setting it would just stop when the torque was met. It is a sweet gun compared to a regular 1/4 in impact gun.  It id definitely quieter that the Milwaukee Surge.

Use it daily, love it more every day! It's such a fantastic tool. Does 90% of my impacting needs with excellent trigger control and low noise.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

What model is this one?

Does anyone know if a second one is on the way? Only asking since the first model is a few years old, and we all know how Makita is with their impacts.

FWIW Hitachi is also apparently working on one to replace the one they have in Europe/Asia. If it's anything near the Triple Hammer in terms of overall quality I'll probably just wait for that.

On 5/20/2017 at 9:19 AM, The.Handyman said:

Don't go by the reviewers on Amazon man. Those are very skewed by people not understanding the concept.

This oil-impulse driver is fantastic and very powerful.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:18 AM, Bremon said:

Amazon reviews are full of morons. "5 stars, fast shipping!" which tells you they liked the service but nothing about the tool. 

I find the best reviews are usually the 3 stars, you tend to get the most truth, 1 stars are just bashing from either a fluke or someone lacking common sense, so if there is a problem odds are the 3 stars can give you a good truth on the product

Would love one as well, especially now after using the surge recently! It's tremendous! But with the DTS141 being a few years old and Makita STILL charging $579 Australian dollars for skin only im a little put off! I could buy a surge, charger and batter for that price! 

• Like 1

Well now we know why it was so quiet. There is something wrong with the gun :) When he tried to drive bigger lags the gun would just stop and it never made an impact sound. He will be turning it through Amazon and buy another one at HD.

Well now we know why it was so quiet. There is something wrong with the gun [emoji4] When he tried to drive bigger lags the gun would just stop and it never made an impact sound. He will be turning it through Amazon and buy another one at HD.

They don't really make a normal impact sound.

If trying to drive too big of a lag, it will just stop or cut off. This means it has reached its working load limit.

These are not meant for big lags or bolts. Mine will drive any lag I've tried 4" or less. Depends on the wood. I use it mainly for cabinetry, finish work, and installations.
  • Like 1

My buddy purchased the soft impact. He and I put in a few screws with it then it sat in his box as he was stuck in the office designing builds. He told me something was wrong and was sending it back, we will see if the new one is different or not. 

I have a Surge so I am familiar with how it operates.

On 5/24/2017 at 4:12 AM, SetBuilder said:

Well now we know why it was so quiet. There is something wrong with the gun :) When he tried to drive bigger lags the gun would just stop and it never made an impact sound. He will be turning it through Amazon and buy another one at HD.

You don't use an oil impulse for big lags.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 1:15 AM, kornomaniac said:

You don't use an oil impulse for big lags.

I'll still try the soft impact on everything until I realize it can't do the job. Only time I had to switch was driving lags into concrete and installing ledger boards.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...