Ryobi Cordless 10" Miter Saw

cliu

I have heard that Ryobi had a cordless 10" miter saw in the works and now it is official. This uses 2 batteries (no word yet on whether or not it can function with reduced power on 1 battery) and with those it can allegedly make over 800 cuts according to the web page. Although I find those number quite optimistic, if it can even do half that, I would be happy. I personally am conflicted because I do occasionally work in areas where there is no electricity but there are also a few times where I will be using a miter saw continuously for over an hour and electricity is available. Ultimately it will probably come down to a combination of price, what if any deals are offered and whether or not I can find space for it (I'll have to wait until it comes out to see how big of a footprint this has). If only they made it hybrid, then I would buy it as soon as it became available (assuming I have the space for it)

.large_859d9c13-40da-4799-92d2-712052808e

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cliu said:

no word yet on whether or not it can function with reduced power on 1 battery

Doubtful.... Ryobi is calling it ONE+ONE and says its 36v.

From Ryobi's site

"RYOBI introduces the first tool in its ONE+ONE™ lineup: the 18-Volt 10 in. Cordless Brushless Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw. The ONE+ONE™ system uses 2 ONE+™ 18-Volt batteries for 2X the power, for a full 36-Volts of Max Power. Not only is this saw powerful, it’s extremely portable: carry it anywhere and cut what you need without the hassle of a cord or trying to find an electrical outlet. The brushless motor provides longer runtime and longer tool life, while the dual bevel design allows you to move the saw, not the material, for faster and more accurate cuts. The sliding head provides a maximum capacity of up to a 12 in. cross cut. See below for more information."

8 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

That stat is probably with the mythical 9.0 batteries we've yet to see, Ryobi has been swinging at every pitch lately, I love it 

If that was the case, then mathematically it could do over 300 cuts with 2 of the existing 4 aH batteries? If so that would be really good imo.

7 hours ago, Framer joe said:

I'm sure the price is great as with all their tools ...if it's out first I'd buy it and try it...and wait for Dewalt or Rigid to arrive...

Does Dewalt already have one or are you referring to the Dewalt 20v non Flexvolt?

1 hour ago, cliu said:

Does Dewalt already have one or are you referring to the Dewalt 20v non Flexvolt?

There is an XR DeWalt popping at some point soon?ish and there's high hopes of the single battery FV version making it's way from EU.

I'm personally interested is seeing the cost of the Ryobi, if it's $199 or so as i suspect it could be then I'll grab one.  

• Like 1

I am hoping that they will sell some sort of package. If they could sell something like the saw, 2 batteries and a charger for something like $349.99 I would buy it right away (assuming I have the space for it at home). Better yet if they also include a miter stand as well.

8 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

There is an XR DeWalt popping at some point soon?ish and there's high hopes of the single battery FV version making it's way from EU.

I'm personally interested is seeing the cost of the Ryobi, if it's $199 or so as i suspect it could be then I'll grab one.  

Why would anyone want a single battery saw over a duel battery one?

5 hours ago, cliu said:

All depends on what ecosystem of battery.  A DeWalt guy will buy a single 20v brushless saw for sure and of course a single FV battery is 54/60 volts!  I am a DeWalt guy and was looking forward to the new saws........ but........ I recently started getting some(ok a lot) of Ryobi's odds and ends. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cliu said:

You could always flip that around and say why would anyone want a double battery saw when you can get the same power and capacity with a single battery saw.  That way you just have to have 2 batteries - one in the saw and one in the charger.  With a dual battery saw, you need 4.  Just sayin....

6 hours ago, khariV said:

You could always flip that around and say why would anyone want a double battery saw when you can get the same power and capacity with a single battery saw.  That way you just have to have 2 batteries - one in the saw and one in the charger.  With a dual battery saw, you need 4.  Just sayin....

Why wouldn't you have a bunch of batteries, Just saying... Lol 

I've been a Ryobi owner for under a month and already have 7 batteries and 4 chargers.  DeWalt stuff.... Yeah I got quite a few batteries there.

I've been waiting for a witty, insightful, intelligent reply to come to me but none have popped up yet so, I'm gonna go with my original thoughts...

What the F**K?!?!? I buy a 10" corded slider and now they release info on a cordless one?!?!? BASTARDS!!!! Ryobi needs to just stop the nonsense and send me one of these to test out. I have enough Ryobi stuff to open my own Ryobi store, they should just give up and kiss my butt already...send me one of these now or else!!! They should send me one to make up for the fact that I just bought a corded one, they could have released this when I was in the market for a miter saw. Dammit Ryobi!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, cliu said:

According to this review I am seriously considering getting this saw when the funds become available. Hopefully by then, it will be available as some sort of package.  

I'll also be keeping any eye out for a package/promo deal, this seriously looks like it could rival or even best similar priced corded saws.  I've been holding out hopes for the 60v DeWalt to hit the states but this could definitely be the one!

11 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

Yeah, the Makita should be interesting too. I guess I have not seen, but is it similar to the flexvolt where you can plug in as well?

No. But the features are far superior to any mitre saw I have seen. Having the bevel knob on the front is great. Great dust collection with 2 ports, and bluetooth to connect to vac. Being only 36v the motor would not function (I assume) with higher AC voltage. The Flexvolt in NZ where I live does not come with AC power, I assume due to our power being 240v and the batteries only adding up to 108v. Makita is doing the same saw in a AC only version also.

8 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

No. But the features are far superior to any mitre saw I have seen. Having the bevel knob on the front is great. Great dust collection with 2 ports, and bluetooth to connect to vac. Being only 36v the motor would not function (I assume) with higher AC voltage. The Flexvolt in NZ where I live does not come with AC power, I assume due to our power being 240v and the batteries only adding up to 108v. Makita is doing the same saw in a AC only version also.

Ryobi has several 18v hybrid tools i.e. the radio and fan so I can't be that hard to do. Theirs is even simpler than the Flexvolt, they just have a male plug built in so you can plug in the female end of an extension cord into the tool and it works just fine.

A radio doesn't have a motor in it. The fans are probably 12v with a 12v transformer in the tool and don't draw the current of a mitre saw motor. They could put a transformer in a saw to get the voltage right, but more money, space constraints, sales, etc probably stop them. It will happen one day.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I just picked up a Ryobi 10" corded and the slide bars require a decent amount of force to get it sliding. Sometimes a yank. It screws up the alignment of the piece I'm cutting. Is this normal? Do other sliding mitre behave the same? Not sure if I got a bad batch or what. Considering returning it to HD. Your advice and experience greatly appreciated.