New Dewalt 20v Max Miter Saw coming???

npcnj8

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was referring to either a 7 1/4" or 10". 

DeWALT has traditionally used a belt drive to put the motor up and out of the way for dual bevel tilting. Some other brands have use an angle motor gearbox/ drive or even a hypoid/ worm drive to accomplish the same thing.

6 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

DeWALT has traditionally used a belt drive to put the motor up and out of the way for dual bevel tilting. Some other brands have use an angle motor gearbox/ drive or even a hypoid/ worm drive to accomplish the same thing.

But for whatever reason not in cordless form factor. I'm guessing that they can't get both enough RPM and enough torque for good performance on anything less than 120v, having to pick one or the other. 

• 7 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 3:39 PM, Jpgwoodworking said:

Any update on this? The current 20v 7 1/4 is lacking in run time and power compared to the Ridgid  brushless 7 1/4, even using the 6 ah Flexvolt battery. 

I'm having trouble believing this 

Video Proof?

15 hours ago, JakeDewalt said:

I'm having trouble believing this 

Video Proof?

Believe what you want, but I own both saws and use them heavily. All I’ve stated is the basic advantage of brushless, more power and better run time. I don’t have time to do a run time test of them, but I may try to show the power difference. 

The most common thing I use the little saws for is 1x2 - 1x6 radiata pine, but Rigid has cut 3,000 ft of laminate flooring, and a decent amount of pallet wood. The only time my 10” and 12” saws come out anymore are for 12” wide panels, 4x4’s, and crown. 

The Ridgid with a 5 ah battery will run for 2 days of high volume cutting. This is job after job, with me and one of my guys both using the saw, so it is cutting almost constantly. It also has enough power that you really have to be trying to bog it down, and it will kick back like a corded saw rather than stalling if you bind a cut bad enough. 

The Dewalt with a 6 ah Flexvolt pack ran a fully charged battery down to 1 bar while cutting 1x6’s for Shaker wainscoting in a 16x16 room. That was about 4 hours of cutting, by myself with no helper, so more down time between cuts. While it still has enough power to be useful, you do have to pay attention to not bogging it down accidentally, like the previous generation of cordless saws. 

Here are a few pics of what I’ve done with the Ridgid:

223AEA45-D84C-4F18-8C41-02F01466B09F.jpeg

8269409B-4E63-41EC-BA3D-6B8C2C221B06.png

9E05662C-C169-40D2-A526-4E3C7ADEA033.png

DFD479EC-17D4-4B8F-831C-EA2320A02528.png

89E7D2DF-6461-432C-B2FB-526871EBA2DF.jpeg

FWIW, that miter saw, along with the 18 gaguge nailer, router, and fan are Ridgid’s only decent cordless tools. Their sander, grinder, radio, job max, and brushless impact/drill/circular saw are all horrible. They are the reason I picked up Dewalt in the first place, and I’ve been happy with them.

• Like 5

those projects look excellent @Jpgwoodworking you did a very nice job. I have generally not been a fan of pallet wood stuff but that pallet wood wall actually looks nice. It has a quality and professional feel to it that you typically don't think about when you think of pallet wood projects.

3 hours ago, Jpgwoodworking said:

Believe what you want, but I own both saws and use them heavily. All I’ve stated is the basic advantage of brushless, more power and better run time. I don’t have time to do a run time test of them, but I may try to show the power difference. 

The most common thing I use the little saws for is 1x2 - 1x6 radiata pine, but Rigid has cut 3,000 ft of laminate flooring, and a decent amount of pallet wood. The only time my 10” and 12” saws come out anymore are for 12” wide panels, 4x4’s, and crown. 

The Ridgid with a 5 ah battery will run for 2 days of high volume cutting. This is job after job, with me and one of my guys both using the saw, so it is cutting almost constantly. It also has enough power that you really have to be trying to bog it down, and it will kick back like a corded saw rather than stalling if you bind a cut bad enough. 

The Dewalt with a 6 ah Flexvolt pack ran a fully charged battery down to 1 bar while cutting 1x6’s for Shaker wainscoting in a 16x16 room. That was about 4 hours of cutting, by myself with no helper, so more down time between cuts. While it still has enough power to be useful, you do have to pay attention to not bogging it down accidentally, like the previous generation of cordless saws. 

Here are a few pics of what I’ve done with the Ridgid:

223AEA45-D84C-4F18-8C41-02F01466B09F.jpeg

8269409B-4E63-41EC-BA3D-6B8C2C221B06.png

9E05662C-C169-40D2-A526-4E3C7ADEA033.png

DFD479EC-17D4-4B8F-831C-EA2320A02528.png

89E7D2DF-6461-432C-B2FB-526871EBA2DF.jpeg

FWIW, that miter saw, along with the 18 gaguge nailer, router, and fan are Ridgid’s only decent cordless tools. Their sander, grinder, radio, job max, and brushless impact/drill/circular saw are all horrible. They are the reason I picked up Dewalt in the first place, and I’ve been happy with them.

Sorry man I thought you were talking about the Dewalt Brushless 7 1/4 circular saw XR. I now realize you were talking about the 7 1/4 sliding miter saw sorry for the confusion 

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

those projects look excellent @Jpgwoodworking you did a very nice job. I have generally not been a fan of pallet wood stuff but that pallet wood wall actually looks nice. It has a quality and professional feel to it that you typically don't think about when you think of pallet wood projects.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’m not a big fan of the pallet wood projects myself, and generally try to talk the customer into going with T&G pine or something a little cleaner. For that project, they were adamant that they wanted the pallet wood and had already broken down and sanded their own pallets.