Multi-bit screwdrivers vs. individual

dwasifar

Who's up for a discussion on multi-bit screwdrivers vs. individual screwdrivers?

Every time I see a nice screwdriver set, I immediately want them; but I know from experience that I'm not gonna use them.  Instead, I'm going to grab one of the 7-in-one or 9-in-one drivers I keep strategically scattered around the house.  This is why:

Pros:

• Less to carry around (can stick it in a pocket)
  • Chances are better that the tool already in my hand is the tool I'll need next
  • Fewer individual tools to lose track of while working (this is a real problem for me, and it's not a senior moment thing either, I've been saying "I JUST had that, where did it go?" since I was a teenager)
  • Individual bits, or the center shaft, can be chucked into a drill, so I don't have to carry around a separate set of driver bits for that

Cons: 

• Sometimes too bulky to reach recessed screws
  • Bits can dislodge on impact
  • Not good for prying (paint cans etc.)

For me, apparently the pros outweigh the cons, and I standardized on the multi-drivers.  It wasn't a conscious thing, it's just something I found myself doing over the years, and it took me a while to think through why I was doing it.

These are my current go-tos:

4972407-23.jpg.91b14ed397188e45f33eec0c5a9a10cc.jpg    603741-irwin-2051100-9-in-1-multi-tool-screwdriver.jpg.10f12daed4f52c0a3d72404228cc257f.jpg

I've been using those Crescent ones for ages, and they're really comfortable; I have a bunch of them.  But they don't make them anymore, so I'm trying out the Irwin, and it's really nice too; good feel in the hand, more bits and options than the Crescent, and it feels like the Phillips bits grip the screw a little better.  Greenlee and Lenox sell the identical tool under their brands and color schemes, but I prefer the bright colored Irwin because of the aforementioned "where did I put it?" problem.

Did I miss anything?  Contrary opinions are welcome.

• Like 1

I love Wera stuff.

I just got this set about 3 weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HSNHM2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one they have a few different models, the only difference between yours and mine is the bit identifiers it's just a colored ring in the bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I like multibit but I will never go back to not having individual drivers as well. Well, unless my future involves living in a tiny house. I'll forever have both though. Multibit for truck, garage, junk drawer, etc. and full set for in the workshop. 

I like multibit but I will never go back to not having individual drivers as well. Well, unless my future involves living in a tiny house. I'll forever have both though. Multibit for truck, garage, junk drawer, etc. and full set for in the workshop. 

Gotta have a full set well multiple full sets lol the think I love about the KK20 it fits in the pocket so if I run in to a house to check it out a potential job I have a screw driver at hand.

• Like 1

Your craftsman box ought to be green Jimbo! That's how envious that drawer of black/yellow/red tools makes me! 

I was just thinking I should have got the black but I love a red tool box

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think I would like the Wera or Wiha, because it's not the kind of design I prefer. 

Both of those make you open the handle and fiddle around with little individual bits. The Wiha looks especially fiddly in that regard; it looks like you have to take a cap off the handle, put it down, and turn a selector dial to access the bit you want:

wiha.png.db4f9d43a0eabd5100786386a3b8e533.png

The Wera avoids that problem, but instead you have to push the bits back into storage clips:

WER051021.jpg.f560354df0d6d18fa7dc48d157fa3544.jpg

Neither of them have nut drivers, either.  The one advantage I can see to these designs over the center-barrel design is that the bits are generic and can be replaced individually when they wear out.

Compare how the Irwin is designed:

9-in-1-multi-tool-28.jpg.ea54c6768b4303e7fe5bc88f93e3524e.jpg

To change bits, I don't have to open any storage compartment; usually I just need to flip the bit, or flip the center barrel.  Takes about two seconds.  There are three nut drivers.  And I can pull the barrel out of the tool and chuck it into a drill to have an instant power nutdriver or screwdriver, without carrying around separate bits and accessories for the drill.  The Crescent is similar.  I just think this style is a more versatile design.  

The downside is that once you round off the Phillips bits, that's pretty much it for the tool.  I have occasionally touched up a Phillips bit on a grinder to restore the corners and make it grip a little better, but you can only do that once or twice.  Fortunately the bits on both are pretty durable.

Having said all that, I would totally buy a Wera if it were this kind of design.  The Wera drivers look like amazing quality.

Yeah, I don't think I would like the Wera or Wiha, because it's not the kind of design I prefer. 

Both of those make you open the handle and fiddle around with little individual bits. The Wiha looks especially fiddly in that regard; it looks like you have to take a cap off the handle, put it down, and turn a selector dial to access the bit you want:

wiha.png.db4f9d43a0eabd5100786386a3b8e533.png

The Wera avoids that problem, but instead you have to push the bits back into storage clips:

WER051021.jpg.f560354df0d6d18fa7dc48d157fa3544.jpg

Neither of them have nut drivers, either.  The one advantage I can see to these designs over the center-barrel design is that the bits are generic and can be replaced individually when they wear out.

Compare how the Irwin is designed:

9-in-1-multi-tool-28.jpg.ea54c6768b4303e7fe5bc88f93e3524e.jpg

To change bits, I don't have to open any storage compartment; usually I just need to flip the bit, or flip the center barrel.  Takes about two seconds.  There are three nut drivers.  And I can pull the barrel out of the tool and chuck it into a drill to have an instant power nutdriver or screwdriver, without carrying around separate bits and accessories for the drill.  The Crescent is similar.  I just think this style is a more versatile design.  

The downside is that once you round off the Phillips bits, that's pretty much it for the tool.  I have occasionally touched up a Phillips bit on a grinder to restore the corners and make it grip a little better, but you can only do that once or twice.  Fortunately the bits on both are pretty durable.

Having said all that, I would totally buy a Wera if it were this kind of design.  The Wera drivers look like amazing quality.

If you want one with nut drivers Klein is a strong option

I tend to shy away from multi-bit drivers. No real reason aside from preference though. I have sufficient fixed blade drivers in the shop and I have an assortment in my mobile kit, so that covers most uses. 

I do use my Mac ratcheting set a lot, and I have a multi in my coaches bag for working on helmets and shit, but given the choice, I'll reach for a fixed blade. 

• Like 1

I tend to shy away from multi-bit drivers. No real reason aside from preference though. I have sufficient fixed blade drivers in the shop and I have an assortment in my mobile kit, so that covers most uses. 

I do use my Mac ratcheting set a lot, and I have a multi in my coaches bag for working on helmets and shit, but given the choice, I'll reach for a fixed blade. 

I have many many multi bits but if you check the cleanliness of my hands my laser tip weras are the dirtiest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

I have many many multi bits but if you check the cleanliness of my hands my laser tip weras are the dirtiest

My Weras are also the dirtiest but I use my PB Swiss more(That's what's in the tool bag). I think the Weras just show more dirt.

I like to think I am very qualified to give some advice on multi bit drivers.

Other than my insulated set, my Multibit is my go-to.

I try my best to keep the weight down in my service bag and backpack. My long reach Klein 15-1 and Wera Kraftform Kompact 28 and my everyday carries. I carry a flat Wera demo driver with a conduit reamer fastened to it, this serves all my prying and chiseling needs. Everyone should own a Multibit, that have come a long way and are very reliable.

I currently own the following:

Klein 11-1

Wera Kraftform Kompact 26

Wera Kraftform Kompact 28

Klein 15-1 Classic Multibit

Milwaukee 10-1 Multibit

Milwaukee 11-1 Multibit

Klein 4-1 Electronics Screwdriver

Picquic 6 pack

Klein Stubby Multibit

I think I have a problem, I didn't realize I owned this many...

Hope this helps.

Here is the condensed version:

Klein 11-1

This is the best overall Multibit. Cheap, easy to get replacement bits. Good comfortable grip and decent weight. Fastest bit change.

Hands down the lightest, most comfortable grip. Bit holder is awkward and makes tight space screw access impossible. That's why I bought the 28. You can use the bit holder in your impact. Folds down for compact portability.

This is my favorite for two reasons, comfort and grip.

Not the fastest bit change but gets into tight spaces and you can remove the bit holder for use in your impact. Folds down etc.

This is my second favorite and the only one that feel like a traditional screwdriver. Weight is excellent and has a nice long reach.

Milwaukee 10-1 Multibit

This thing is a giant piece of crap. It's a poor Picquic knockoff and the heaviest of them all. Bonus points for being able to use the bits in your impact though. It feels bulky and clumsy in the hand, balance is awful.

Bits are very soft, rounding easily.

Milwaukee 11-1 Multibit.

I had high hopes for this thing. Very disappointed. It's a bad Klein knockoff.

The most irritating thing is that it's soooooo short. It doesn't reach into the back of a standard deep box. It's almost comical just how short it is.

It's very heavy and not as comfortable as the Klein.

This is the best controls Screwdriver. I love this thing.

Klein hit a homerun with this one. A quick change multibit controls screwdriver was the one tool I didn't know I needed. Now that I have it, I bought a second one and put it away just in case mine goes missing!

Picquic 6 Pack

More of a homeowner tool. I bought two of them.

I dropped the first one and bit holder fell out of the plastic handle.

Dropped the second one, guess what happened? The bit holder fell out again. They never go back in right and keep falling out.

Klein Stubby Multibit

Same as big brother, fast bit change, nice weight and comfortable grip.

• Like 2

Working in the shop or on vehicles I usually use the dedicated screwdrivers.  

But at work (Im a paint contractor) I always have my Wera kompakt 28 on me!  I love having a multi bit driver with me that takes a standard 1" bit, so that I can swap bits from it into my impact driver when need be.  

Because it never fails when your two stories up a ladder some sorry sucker just had to use two different screw profiles to attach that shutter!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I like to think I am very qualified to give some advice on multi bit drivers.

Other than my insulated set, my Multibit is my go-to.

I try my best to keep the weight down in my service bag and backpack. My long reach Klein 15-1 and Wera Kraftform Kompact 28 and my everyday carries. I carry a flat Wera demo driver with a conduit reamer fastened to it, this serves all my prying and chiseling needs. Everyone should own a Multibit, that have come a long way and are very reliable.

I currently own the following:

Klein 11-1

Milwaukee 10-1 Multibit

Milwaukee 11-1 Multibit

Picquic 6 pack

Klein Stubby Multibit

I think I have a problem, I didn't realize I owned this many...

I think I'll get one of those Klein 11-1's on your recommendation.  It's designed a lot like the ones I already like, but with Torx. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rfwjr said:

I have both but my wife bought me a Kobalt Double Drive for Christmas a few years ago and I thought gimmick. But I find myself grabbing it every time I needed a screwdriver.

Do you actually use the ratcheting function?  I've never been comfortable with ratcheting drivers.

A lot of times when I look at tools like this I find myself just sort of generally marveling at the amount of thought and engineering that goes into trying to make a classic tool better.  I remember multi-drivers from 30 or 40 years ago (yes, I'm that old), and they were nowhere near this good.  They were sloppy junk, mostly.  And most people's screwdrivers looked like this:

41XmU3sejuL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg.b57d072ca2e6c922b3d1161ab2104561.jpg

I know this is a classic, and perfectly usable, but I doubt any of you Wera guys would go back to that design, would you?

Or, if you were a cheap-ass like my dad, they came from the 29¢ bin on the hardware store counter and looked like this:

6-125mm-Phillips-font-b-Screwdriver-b-font-font-b-Plastic-b-font-font-b-Handle.thumb.jpg.1a39aab1f89a2c4b3c67df897a0a1861.jpg

My dad hated Phillips screws - what he called "crosshead" screws - because he was always stripping the screwhead or the tool tip, and he couldn't grind a new edge onto a cheap Phillips driver the way he did with the cheap slotted drivers.  I eventually realized his problems were due to the cheap tools, but it took me a long time to get there because he would always tell me "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."  I finally understood that's only true up to a point, which eventually culminated in ME teaching HIM about the merits of Phillips over slotted, which was an interesting conversation.

But I digress.  My point is that I feel like we're living in a tool renaissance right now.  The market is bursting with new ideas for tools, and new refinements of classic tools; even a simple screwdriver has dozens or hundreds of choices, all competing on their merits and quality.  I feel spoiled.  Don't you?

• Like 3